Connecting a MacBook?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I haven't used one of the updated MacBooks, so can't absolutely confirm - have an old model MB for use at home and a MBP which is office standard issue. It's my understanding that the source you quote is correct, but I'd seek clarification from one of those shiny happy experts at your local Apple Store before taking the plunge.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
On new MacBooks they use the mini-displayport socket which is video only. You can buy a mini-displayport to hdmi connector on the apple store, but you'll also need to run an optical cable to your av amp to get any sound.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Dan Turner:On new MacBooks they use the mini-displayport socket which is video only. You can buy a mini-displayport to hdmi connector on the apple store, but you'll also need to run an optical cable to your av amp to get any sound.

Thanks Dan - so are you saying this is NOT correct?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4167

Where it states

Mini DisplayPort (video out)
Connect to an external display, projection device, or TV that uses a DVI, HDMI (audio and video)1 or VGA connector with a separate adapter. You can purchase adapters for supported video formats from Apple.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Mmmm. Mine is a macbook pro and when i hook up via a minidisplayport to hdmi adaptor, then hdmi cable to my AV amp I get no sound. I have to have a separate optical cable and then the sound works.

Hey - get it and see I guess. But keep a spare optical in on your AV amp handy just in case!

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well I can confirm that with one of these connected to an HDMI cable, the MacBook Pro does indeed send audio and video.

It instantly recognises the TV when plugged into my AV receiver. I've not had time for a serious play yet but I'm amazed how good even the low bit rate Spotify sounded - and that was into the Yamaha not even into the Naim amp via a DAC some big improvements to come!

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes on all of the last 2 generation of macs send video & sound over a mini display adaptor , though not all mini display port adaptors send sound . I purchased my adaptor of eBay for around £12

TRENDING THREADS