Compatability question from a clueless oik!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a simple LG 22" LCD TV and I want to improve the sound quality. The Sony DAV DZ260 home cinema kit looks like a sensible choice for my needs but I want to make sure it's compatible - I downloaded the manual from Sony's website and it says you need a 'digital coaxial output jack', or a 'digital optical output jack'. My TV (6 months old) seems to have neither of these - does that make it incompatible? Looking at it now, it doesn't seem to have any outputs at all...

Any advice gratefully received! I hope I'm not being really thick...
emotion-10.gif

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What is the TV model number? It should have analogue audio outputs (red/white phono connectors marked with a circle with an arrow pointing outwards). However, I seem to remember the DZ260 doesn't have analogue inputs but I would have to check again so it might be that the two are incompatible.

A

Anonymous

This uses the DVD/Receiver to connect, so no audio jacks. You can connect via Scart though, and your TV almost certainly has one of those.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks both - appreciate the speedy replies. The TV model is 22LS4D - it does have two scarts though so I guess it'll be okay?

Just have to set it up - should be fun
emotion-2.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just need to check exactly what you're after. Do you want something which will play 5.1 sound when you watch DVDs, or are you also looking for a system which you can use with your standard TV for sound as well? If so, the Sony won't work as, as you say, it needs either a coaxial or optical input and if your TV doesn't have a coaxial or optical output, it cannot accept sound from the TV.

The scart socket on the TV will only be an input for the sound from the DVD player through the TVs speakers (should you want this). You can't send sound out of the TV back to the Sony via the scart socket I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

Ah, of course. Yes, ideally I'd like to use it for both TV and DVD... Is there another way around it - a different home cinema kit for example? Or is it not possible to improve the sound of this TV model?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, been trying to find a bit more info on the TV but LG's UK website denies it exists and I can only find a manual in French! From this, it looks to me like the only audio output is the headphone jack (unless there are some more outputs on the front which the manual isn't showing, or unless this is a completely different model in France - it's hard to say!). If this is the case though, if you get a system which has analogue inputs, you can hook the headphone jack up to these using a standard 3.5mm to RCA phono cable.

A

Anonymous

Bah - just been having a look at it and it seems there are no outputs at all - not even a headphone jack! Should've got the French one!

The sound is pretty weak - be a shame if I can't do anything about it. I think if I buy a system I can only use when watching DVDs, I'll soon get fed up with the sound quality when watching TV.

The TV was a gift too which makes replacing it so soon a bit tricky!

Do appreciate your guidance though - thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts