Compact Floorstanders for NaimUniti

Andy.McGhee

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'll try to add some text here for the 3rd time.

I am looking to replace my Dynaudio DM2/6s with some compact floorstanders and I'd be interested in the communities opinion.

I'd like to improve on the Dynaudio's transparency and bass reach while keeping the bass taut and controlled. The need to be tolerant of positioning and be OK within about 18" of the rear wall.

I have a budget of around £2000 but that could be stretched.

Thanks

Andy

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Spendor A3s are super-compact and work well with Naim I feel. Perhaps too compact though - not the biggest bass as a result. The Sonus faber Venere 2.5 are bigger and will need a bit more space so you will need to check how they work in your room but well worth auditioning.

Big Nads and Woofer

May 11, 2009
Visit site
How about these http://www.tektondesign.com/lore-m.html
A friend has a very large stand mount speaker by the same company and they are impressive. They have excellent transparency, bass is superbly controlled, front ported and I would say the soundstage is the best I've heard. Plenty of reviews out on the web also....

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Try any of the following makes: Neat, Kudos, Dali, Spendor or PMC.

All those brands work well with Naim.

Also do not discount B&W or Proac.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
James7 said:
Spendor A3s are super-compact and work well with Naim I feel. Perhaps too compact though - not the biggest bass as a result. The Sonus faber Venere 2.5 are bigger and will need a bit more space so you will need to check how they work in your room but well worth auditioning.

I'd go with this as well, along with Kef R500s

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the above plus the Dali Menuets.

Actually, cancel that, I misread your post, the Dalis aren't floorstanders.

Neat are the ones to go for, particularly the Elites.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Adam Artist 6 compact floorstanders with the optional Adam Artist sub.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/sub7/description

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Depends on your notion of compact but there are deals to be had on the Spendor A6 with the launch of the A6r. According to Spendor themselves the most tolerant of the A3/5/6 with regard to positioning.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Andy.McGhee said:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I have auditioned and purchased a pair of Neat SX2s. Stunning!

Andy
I've just purchased the Naim 5 series and these are contenders for my speaker purchase. Do you have them near walls and if so are they as unfussy about position as i have been led to believe?

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Andy.McGhee said:

Andy
I've just purchased the Naim 5 series and these are contenders for my speaker purchase. Do you have them near walls and if so are they as unfussy about position as i have been led to believe?

an unrelated question but how does the naim 5si sound??? And is it worth the money.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
markiedee said:
shep1968 said:
Andy.McGhee said:

Andy

an unrelated question but how does the naim 5si sound??? And is it worth the money.
My old system was a Rotel RA-05 which is shortly to be up for sale, a Marantz 6002 Cd player and b&w 685 speakers. Cd player died and instead of just replacing it i decided to upgrade. Did a few demos and was offered a deal on the Naim 5si and Naim CD5. Took it home and wired it up to the 685's which are not really a match for the Naim. Flabby bass (which previously i didnt realise was flabby) had gone and replaced by a lovely sound. I could have sworn that the artists had rerecorded their seminal albums and secretly placed the new CD's in my house. Someone must have resurrected Cobain, Lennon, Moon and Zevon and placed them in a recording studio. From what i am used to it sounds like the bees knees but my knowledge of hifi is limited but i love the sound especially the instruments that i couldnt previously hear. Is the amp worth £400 more than my Rotel cost? I could have replaced the CD player for £350 and saved £1300 but the seven day return period has lapsed and it is still in my house. The first thing i do when i get home now is turn the amp on. Do a few jobs then choose an album to listen to before my wife gets in. My toe taps and a smile is on my face so yes i think it is worth the money. The only real comparison i have is the Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200P power amp combination which i also demoed and that would have been more practical in so many ways but as Shakira nearly said the ears dont lie and i love it. If i can bring myself to make a decision around speakers that will complement the system i will be in audio heaven.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
markiedee said:
shep1968 said:
Andy.McGhee said:

Andy

My old system was a Rotel RA-05 which is shortly to be up for sale, a Marantz 6002 Cd player and b&w 685 speakers. Cd player died and instead of just replacing it i decided to upgrade. Did a few demos and was offered a deal on the Naim 5si and Naim CD5. Took it home and wired it up to the 685's which are not really a match for the Naim. Flabby bass (which previously i didnt realise was flabby) had gone and replaced by a lovely sound. I could have sworn that the artists had rerecorded their seminal albums and secretly placed the new CD's in my house. Someone must have resurrected Cobain, Lennon, Moon and Zevon and placed them in a recording studio. From what i am used to it sounds like the bees knees but my knowledge of hifi is limited but i love the sound especially the instruments that i couldnt previously hear. Is the amp worth £400 more than my Rotel cost? I could have replaced the CD player for £350 and saved £1300 but the seven day return period has lapsed and it is still in my house. The first thing i do when i get home now is turn the amp on. Do a few jobs then choose an album to listen to before my wife gets in. My toe taps and a smile is on my face so yes i think it is worth the money. The only real comparison i have is the Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200P power amp combination which i also demoed and that would have been more practical in so many ways but as Shakira nearly said the ears dont lie and i love it. If i can bring myself to make a decision around speakers that will complement the system i will be in audio heaven.

thank you for your input it relly paints a picture for me, I have really wanted to here a naim amp but haven't had the chance as some dealers don't stock them near me which means travelling further a field.

luckily my local Sevenoaks just took stock the other day of a unitilite so I will be demoing that alongside the new monitor audio silver 1s and 2s so I'm looking forward to hearing it. Thanks again your review has helped a lot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts