Al ears said:
Christophe Saelens said:
plastic penguin said:
*biggrin*

Do tell? *scratch_one-s_head*

Tomorrow? :)

...how to make a gullible person curious
wink_smile.gif

Noooo... not being evasive. And nooooooooooooooooooooooooo deffo not cables. It is a turntable, hopefully before the middle of November. Going to audition a few, hence the delay.

If it was down to aesthetics alone the Pro-ject Classic really tugs my rug, but it'll depend on its sound: if it's a substantial upgrade over my Xpression then...Bingo! Otherwise I'll move onto the next one.

plastic penguin said:
Noooo... not being evasive. And nooooooooooooooooooooooooo deffo not cables. It is a turntable, hopefully before the middle of November. Going to audition a few, hence the delay.

If it was down to aesthetics alone the Pro-ject Classic really tugs my rug, but it'll depend on its sound: if it's a substantial upgrade over my Xpression then...Bingo! Otherwise I'll move onto the next one.

Doh! I was so looking forward to an end of the world prediction... ;-)

Best of luck with the search. Suggest you take the Clearaudio cartridge with you as some sort of reference.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Best of luck with the search. Suggest you take the Clearaudio cartridge with you as some sort of reference.

Yeah, taking the Xpression on the turntable junket. Really want to audition the ClearAudio Concept and see if it really is the bees... Rega I like the sound of, something like the RP6, but not convinced by its minimalist design.

It might be the case I'll trip over one I'd not considered before.

Genuinely excited by this. I've had the Xpression since 2006, so onwards and upwards.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Yeah, taking the Xpression on the turntable junket. Really want to audition the ClearAudio Concept and see if it really is the bees... Rega I like the sound of, something like the RP6, but not convinced by its minimalist design.

Genuinely excited by this. I've had the Xpression since 2006, so onwards and upwards.

If you'd like my opinion stick to one that comes with a lid. ;-)

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

If you'd like my opinion stick to one that comes with a lid. ;-)

Lid's important but if there's one without that sounds the dogs... I'll plump for that. It's down to what I hear and gut feeling (and mood and bank balance). Get those four right and I'm jake.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Oooooh !..............interesting *smile*

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Whilst the hunt for a turntable upgrade is always a good quest I feel I have to point out this turntable will take another cartridge upgrade which may be a much cheaper route.

Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Whilst the hunt for a turntable upgrade is always a good quest I feel I have to point out this turntable will take another cartridge upgrade which may be a much cheaper route.

Which ones would you suggest, Al?

I'm not keen on modern Ortofons. Thumbs up for Goldring and my sainted ClearAudio cart. Otherwise, recent experience of cartridges is pretty thin on the ground.

Have to say, though, I have mentioned before the Xpression is really good sounding for the money, but like Rega offerings, it's bland and nondescript to look at.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm not keen on modern Ortofons. Thumbs up for Goldring and my sainted ClearAudio cart. Otherwise, recent experience of cartridges is pretty thin on the ground.

Have to say, though, I have mentioned before the Xpression is really good sounding for the money, but like Rega offerings, it's bland and nondescript to look at.

To be honest, unless you're talking substantial amounts of money, I find most turntables bland to look at. Many are simply reworking of the basic Rega concept or acrylic dust-magnets.

As long as it has decent isolation, in particular from the motor itself, then it mainly comes down to the tonearm / cartridge combination.

I too do not like the cheaper models of the Ortofon lines however their dearer cartridges are another matter.

The often quoted Nagaoka cartridges have had a mass I price hike that generally puts them out of contention for best-buys now unless you care to import direct from Japan. Others I would recommend are from Audio Technica. Depends on your budget really.

What's that likely to be if A) you're just going to upgrade cartridge on your current turntable and B) you're getting a different turntable and keeping your existing cartridge?

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

To be honest, unless you're talking substantial amounts of money, I find most turntables bland to look at. Many are simply reworking of the basic Rega concept or acrylic dust-magnets.

As long as it has decent isolation, in particular from the motor itself, then it mainly comes down to the tonearm / cartridge combination.

I too do not like the cheaper models of the Ortofon lines however their dearer cartridges are another matter.

The often quoted Nagaoka cartridges have had a mass I price hike that generally puts them out of contention for best-buys now unless you care to import direct from Japan. Others I would recommend are from Audio Technica. Depends on your budget really.

What's that likely to be if A) you're just going to upgrade cartridge on your current turntable and B) you're getting a different turntable and keeping your existing cartridge?

Turnatble likely to audition is 'Classic' up to, if I can find one ClearAudio Concept. I'm hoping, given my turntable came out in 2004, have improved and upping the budget will give me a sporting chance of achieving it.

So let's say, if I plump for the Classic the Ortofon cartridge will be on its bike (put my ClearAudio from the Xpression on it), but if the ClearAudio TT is chosen then it'll have the same cart I own now. This is my initial thinking.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Turnatble likely to audition is 'Classic' up to, if I can find one ClearAudio Concept. I'm hoping, given my turntable came out in 2004, have improved and upping the budget will give me a sporting chance of achieving it.

So let's say, if I plump for the Classic the Ortofon cartridge will be on its bike (put my ClearAudio from the Xpression on it), but if the ClearAudio TT is chosen then it'll have the same cart I own now. This is my initial thinking.

I see your thinking. Always best to look for a turntable without the basic cartridge fitted especially if you already own a decent.t one. Difficult to do these days though.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this event Imminent.?

I must say the Clear Audio Wood is a stylish looking turntable..........*dirol*

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this event Imminent.?

I presume you mean the Concept Wood and not the Ovation Wood ;-)

He's still going to need a lid.

Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this event Imminent.?

Yup. But with or without lid it should be in situ by mid November.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this event Imminent.?

Excellent, but take my word for it, you're going to need a lid or cover.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this event Imminent.?

Excellent, but take my word for it, you're going to need a lid or cover.
Concept wood ..yes.............Clearaudio cover £115........further investment.....you only live once...*yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS