COMET WARRANTY ISSUES

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i :O hope someone can give me some advice on this topic i purchased a panasonic gt30 from comet 10 months ago and sadly it has developed a fault with the hdmi ports where one port has completley packed up and one with intermittent picture issues. i rang comet and they said it will need a new printed circuit board for the hdmi ports i raised my concerns as to the company going into administration and they assured me that any repairs under warranty will be carried out and would not be affected by the issues with the company so i gave the go ahead and they collected my tv last saturday 3rd november. i then phoned them weds for an update and was told it had not been recieved at there repair centre which i replied well how long does it take, i was then informed that the tv was being taken to a repair centre in lancashire because they have made all there engineers redundent as i live in kent i thought the distance for a repair on my tv was ridiculas. i contacted there head office raising my concerns as i feel that i am not going to see my tv again exspecially if the company collapses altogether but i was assured that the repair will be done and i will get my tv back. i also have rang the repair centre up a couple of times and they seem to have a dont really care attitude and are being very vague so i am really getting concerned so please please anyone with any help on what else i can do it will be very much appreciated

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Noooooo...3937edwards what can i say?? You don't have much luck do you, i feel for you as i know your tv history my friend :cry:

I've done a little research into your situation on the web this morning and from all i've read the tv should be repaired under warranty and returned to you even though the company are in administration, it's one of the responsibilities of the administrator to ensure this happens. The only problem is that people who have been in this situation with other companies have reported that the service and info they have received has been shocking which i can only attribute to staff being laid off and call centres being sparsely manned in order to cut costs (that's why the online store has closed for example), i think this may be why any info has been lacking from Comet to date.

My advice would be to keep pestering them as it may be the only way to get some answers and try to get the name of one person to deal with instead of being passed around all the time, that really helps. I think you might just have to sit with it for a little while as i've read many stories of tvs just turning up after being repaired with no communication before hand but of course if things start to drag then it's time to ratchet up the pressure and get some advice from Citizens Advice who have taken over from Consumer Direct to advise on consumer matters. You can speak to them on this number: 08454 040506.

That's the best advice i can give you i'm afraid but i hope you get some answers from Comet soon and that the tv is returned to you with no problems but perhaps it may be also worth contacting Panasonic to find out if they can get involved? Either way keep me posted with how you get on and most of all best of luck with getting it sorted out.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
3937edwards, I'm afraid that I also have nothing to offer but sympathy. Hope it all goes well eventually. If ten days pass with no communication from Comet I would go to Citizen's Advice, and if necessary the Small Claims Court.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi thought i would give an update to those that have replied to this post, i phoned comet today 14th and was told that they were still waiting on the part which they said they ordered on the 8th nearly a week after my tv was collected from me. i took oldboys advice and phoned panasonic and explained the situation to me and said if i rang comet back and got the part number and tracking number they could trace where abouts in the pipeline it is they also advised me that because comet are in administration they most proberly wont be in any hurry to repair the item because it is not going to be benificial to them. panasonic then advised me to ask comet to return the set and then panasonic would deal with the repair themself. so i rang comet back told them what panasonic said, comet then proceded in saying that panasonic should not scaremonger and that i will get the tv back repaired as it is my property so back to sqaure one what a **** situation :wall: :wall:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I’m not here to make you feel any worse than you undoubtedly do but I would never have sent the TV back to Comet in the first place, being in administration or otherwise (just as I would never send my TV back to Currys).

I’m no TV engineer but on paper it looks a relatively stratightforward fix. Have Comet given you the part and tracking number so this can be chased up? If there’s any prevarication on their part then personally I would get the TV back and let Panasonic deal with it, regardless as to how frustrating this must be.

I wish you the best and hope it all works out as speedily and satisfactorily for you as possible.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I have to agree with Sizzers here.

The only problem is that when 3937edwards bought the tv the contract was with the retailer so I can understand why he got it repaired through Comet despite their procarious situation with regards to administration. Personally I too would have been hesitant to send it away through Comet and would have rang Panasonic before I contacted Comet to get some advice as to the best way to proceed but that's just me...through past experience I'm now very cautious.

How long in total have Comet had the tv now 3937edwards?? Most repairs I have been through have taken 2-3 weeks so I would advise that if it goes beyond the 3 week mark then it's time to ask for the tv back and get it repaired through Panasonic as either way it's covered under warranty and that will be honoured by them as they have stated. The only other option is to stick with it and hope that the tv is repaired by Comet before things potentially get worse for the company if a buyer is not found.

Keep in touch with them and chase them as often as you feel is appropriate (twice a week imo) and I sincerely hope that you get a resolution quickly, any repair can be a frustrating experience as I know to my cost so I know how you feel but the added jepordy of the company being in administration most be very worrying for you. As for the comments from Comet regarding scaremongering...simply ridiculous! What do they expect when the company is starring down the barrel of going out of business? Customers will be concerned and Panasonic were simply telling you that you had the right to ask for the tv to be returned to you so that the repair could be carried out by Panasonic under the terms of the warranty, that kind of attitude from Comet is unhelpful and points to the kind of turmoil the company is currently in.

I would be worried if it was my tv they were repairing that's for sure and i would be wanting the tv back after 3 weeks with no arguments :wall:

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy comet will of had my tv 2 weeks this saturday i phoned them again today as panasonic asked me to get the part number and tracking number from comet and then panasonic said they would be able to check where the part is in the system i phond panasonic again today to give them this info and to my dissmay was told that i should not have been told this as the part has been ordered by comet themself internally and not by panasonic and the part should only take a few days the only other advice from panasonic was to ask for the tv back and go through them. so back on the phone to comet i went and told them what panasonic said, which they then replied they have to allow 28 days for them to recieve the part i then stated that as far as i was concerned they were not in no hurry to repair my tv as it was not benificial to them because of the situation of the company which they denied so do i leave it another week or ask for my tv back and start the process of getting it repaired all over again i really dont know :wall:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
This is a dificult situation 3937edwards...as Comet have had the tv for 2 weeks i would be inclined to give it another week to see if it's repaired and then act but after the amount of hassle and misinformation you have had up to now i'm not so sure. I would have complained to Panasonic that their customer services had given out conflicting advice though for sure as that is not helping matters either, you should not have been told to get that info in the first place so it sounds to me like the first person you spoke to wasn't really listening to you fully.

The biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard is that claim from Comet that they have to allow 28 days for a part to be delivered...honestly what a load of rubbish, if that truly is the case then you could be waiting for 6 weeks or more for a repair and with that sort of attitude they deserve to go out of business imo.

All i can say is if it was my tv i would be asking for it to be returned as Comet haven't exactly inspired confidence up to this point and even if the company was not in administration i would advise the same, it's been a tale of misinformation, sloppy customer service and no concrete answers which would be enough for me. It really boils down to how you feel about the situation though, if you think it's worth giving them an extra week then do it but if you don't have confidence in them anymore to carry out the repair in a reasonable timeframe then get the tv back and deal with Panasonic...it's a tricky one and not an enviable situation to be in.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy after some considering my options i have decided to give comet another week i know that if i do have the tv back then it means that the tv will have to go away yet again perhaps for another few weeks so i am really hoping that comet pull there finger out and get my tv back to me :pray: but if not i will ask them to return it to me and let panasonic deal with it and the prospect of not having the tv for another 2-3 weeks its just such ashame in this day and age that consumers are being palmed of with sub standard tvs and shoddy customer services and repair times where are the days gone when repairs used to be carried out in the home. i will keep posting any updates i get if i get im not holding my breath :wall:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
That's fair enough but what I would caution that decision with is the thought that you could lose the tv entirely if Comet goes out of business against an extra few weeks without it if you got it back and went through Panasonic, I think it's highly unlikely that will happen within a week but it's something to consider.

Unfortunately the service you are receiving is exactly the level of service many customers have complained about when buying electrical goods from Comet, I have always advised people to avoid them along with Currys if at all possible over the years after reading so many horror stories in this and many other forums of tales of woeful levels of customer service once the goods were out of the door. How companies in this day and age think they can continue to survive in the current climate by continuing to offer such staggeringly poor levels of customer service is beyond me, it's worth researching the retailer just as much as the product imo.

I know all retailers have their faults but some are definately better than others and it's worth considering when searching for that elusive bargain as it may not be such a bargain in the long run when issues arise in the future, I'm not preaching here as I've been stung myself in the past and learnt a valuable lesson.

I do agree with you about shoddy customer service but unfortunately Comet are notorious in this regard and have form on this forum, as for sub standard tvs that's not as easy to say it is actually happening...of course many problems appear on this and many forums but the nature of the internet is to complain more than praise and those complaints must be put into perspective against how many sets have been sold. I've been suspicious for a while now that quality control within tv production has fallen short for some time as I've suffered enormously over the last few years with faulty tvs but it's perhaps too much of a sweeping generalisation that sub standard tvs are being produced on mass but I would love to know the failure rates of tvs these days!!

All I can say is that I hope the next week brings good news and that the tv arrives back with you soon after being repaired to your satisfaction, look forward to an update soon, all the best :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This is obviously a difficult situation, and with hindsight, I'm sure Panasonic would have been your first port of call for the repair.

I think you have to try and trust Comet/the administrator to do the job properly, keep in contact with them, and probably most importantly, get a name and number of a single person at Comet to deal with during the process, rather than speak to different people all the time.

I hate to worry you further (I know I probably am), but I would be very concerned about the distance your tv is travelling, and how well it is being looked after by Comet's staff.

Fingers crossed, the repair will be done properly, and your tv will be returned quickly and safely.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks for your reply yes that is a concern for me as well the distance my tv has gone my mind is in turmoil thinking the tv is going to come back scratched etc i really wished i had gone to panasonic, the only reason i went through retailer is because the tv i had before this one when it developed a fault i did go via the manufacturer to get it repaired ( samsung) and when it finally had to be replaced and it had to go back to retailer (comet) they kicked up a fuss and it caused so much aggravation to get it replaced hence why this time i went through comet, yes i should of put my brain in gear and the alarm bells should of rang because of the situation comet are in but they kept assuring me that the tv would be repaired and returned to me. but after anothe agonizing day i now have decided to ask for the tv back i am going to ring them monday i will post on hear the outcome and the condition of the tv when i do get it back :wall: :wall: :wall:

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy phoned comet today and after 2 weeks of being assured my tv will be repaired they have now told me that panasonic are not sending any parts to them so after a few choice words i have asked for my tv to be returned to me then i will go through panasonic to get the repair done which i should of done in the first place

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It's hardly surprising panasonic are not sending parts, i find the whole thing a joke, comet failed as a company & now they are failing administration, shame on you comet.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
hi oldboy phoned comet today and after 2 weeks of being assured my tv will be repaired they have now told me that panasonic are not sending any parts to them so after a few choice words i have asked for my tv to be returned to me then i will go through panasonic to get the repair done which i should of done in the first place

No wonder they have gone into administration with service like that, ridiculous!! You can understand why Panasonic are no longer sending them parts when they have shed over 1000 jobs in the last week and need to find a buyer in the next week or face going out of business BUT weren't you told the part was on it's way or was that more lies from Comet??

This is one company i won't be sad to lose from high streets and retail parks across the country but i do feel for those people who have lost their jobs as a result so close to xmas. It's certainly for the best that you get the tv repaired by Panasonic as i feared any repair carried out by Comet on your tv would be shoddy and not solve the issue, fingers crossed you get the tv back soon...were you given an ETA??

I would suggest you mention your woes with the Comet repair when you contact Panasonic to get the tv repaired and ask for them to hurry up the repair, it's the least they can do really! I really hope it all gets sorted soon mate and that you finally get the tv repaired...i feel so sorry for you with all the hassle you have had as i can really relate to what you are going through, hopefully Comet go out of business soon as they deserve it more than most. :grin:

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy yes i was told the part had been ordered and on its way they even gave me a part number and tracking number but it looks like that was made up as well.as i said i asked for my tv to be returned to me on monday and was told that it would be packed and they would ring me by the end of the working day (monday) but hey presto no phone call. so first thing tuesday morning i was back on the phone told them i was exspecting a phone call on monday but did not get one but that went through one ear and out the other, so they checked again and yet again was told it was being packed to return to me and as soon as they get a so call code they will ring to arrange delivery so no eta. this situation is making me so ill , as as this is going on there is also thr threat of the company colapsing alltogether and not getting my tv back, and most proberly having to go through the administraters to get the tv back no telling how long that could take. so oldboy any advice from you or anybody what my next step should be :wall: :cry:

It is a tad unfair to blame Comet & wish its demise when all it tried was repair the OP's TV. Unfortunately it didn't get the support from the manufacturer. Why did Panasonic refuse to send parts to repair its own TVs? Comet wont be making any money out of them. They could've simply told Comet officially that they're taking over warranty repairs, but they chose to abruptly stop sending parts!

Think from Comet's point of view. Despite going into administration, it wanted to honour the warranty. Unfortunately, it's repair centre was miles away (obviously a result of going into administration), yet they picked the TV up. They could've easily told the OP that they're closing & refuse to honour the warranty.

Surely, the repair centre will be inundated with anxious calls. They were simply not designed to cope with the massive increase in call volume, with the same (or less) number of staff as before. I do feel sad for the staff's morale facing all these calls.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
It is a tad unfair to blame Comet & wish its demise when all it tried was repair the OP's TV. Unfortunately it didn't get the support from the manufacturer. Why did Panasonic refuse to send parts to repair its own TVs? Comet wont be making any money out of them. They could've simply told Comet officially that they're taking over warranty repairs, but they chose to abruptly stop sending parts!

Think from Comet's point of view. Despite going into administration, it wanted to honour the warranty. Unfortunately, it's repair centre was miles away (obviously a result of going into administration), yet they picked the TV up. They could've easily told the OP that they're closing & refuse to honour the warranty.

Surely, the repair centre will be inundated with anxious calls. They were simply not designed to cope with the massive increase in call volume, with the same (or less) number of staff as before. I do feel sad for the staff's morale facing all these calls.

Sorry bigboss but I have to disagree with you here, Comet are in administration so to take on repairs at a time when the company faces going out of business is unfair on consumers as there is a strong possibility that the company will be out of business within the week. It's simply poor customer service from Comet as all repair enquiries should have been referred to the relevant manufacturer to stop customers facing the very real prospect of losing their equipment, as long as it's under warranty the manufacturer has to honour the warranty so it's just common sense as it would save the company money and hassle from yet more worried customers.

Panasonic stopped sending Comet parts when it became apparent they couldn't pay for them, it's simple economics really...if you don't have the capital to pay for goods or services then you stop receiving them and many companies have now refused to stock Comet with products until the situation becomes clearer and if they find a buyer they will then have to negotiate new deals.

Thinking of it from Comets side it made absolutely no sense to try to honour a warranty with the state the company is currently in, it has laid off over 1000 staff in one week, faces closure unless a buyer is found quickly, doesn't have the resources or infrastructure to honour warranties and I doubt they have the amount of staff required to honour them either. If you can't pay your bills then you can't expect to keep receiving parts from manufacturers, a situation i'm sure the administrators were aware of which is why so many staff and stores have had to go.

As for wishing for their demise, I genuinely would not shed a tear if they disappear from high streets and retail parks as they rank among the poorest electrical retailers in the country but as I stated earlier I do feel for all the staff as it's a harrowing experience losing your job and even worse at this time of year. The OPs experience with Comet just goes to show why the company are in the position they are now imo and although my previous wording was a bit harsh in wishing them out of business I can't see retail parks and high streets being a worse place without them.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
hi oldboy yes i was told the part had been ordered and on its way they even gave me a part number and tracking number but it looks like that was made up as well.as i said i asked for my tv to be returned to me on monday and was told that it would be packed and they would ring me by the end of the working day (monday) but hey presto no phone call. so first thing tuesday morning i was back on the phone told them i was exspecting a phone call on monday but did not get one but that went through one ear and out the other, so they checked again and yet again was told it was being packed to return to me and as soon as they get a so call code they will ring to arrange delivery so no eta. this situation is making me so ill , as as this is going on there is also thr threat of the company colapsing alltogether and not getting my tv back, and most proberly having to go through the administraters to get the tv back no telling how long that could take. so oldboy any advice from you or anybody what my next step should be :wall: :cry:

Unfortunately with the company in the final week of being able to save itself I think it's unlikely you will get the tv back very soon as it's a low priority and with low staffing levels I would have thought it would be a few days before it is sent back to you. If you really want to speed things up and are worried you won't receive the tv back at all then you could arrange to pick it up yourself which is what I would do now regardless of how far I would have to drive to pick it up but of couse that's not practical for everyone but is really your only other option now.

There really is very little you can do now if you can't pick the tv up yourself, you are in the hands of Comet now and will simply have to wait for them but in the meantime contact Citizens Advice Consumer advice line here: 08454 04 05 06 for advice in your situation as it's gone beyond my experience and knowledge. They have taken over from Consumer Direct in advising about consumer matters so I think it would be a good idea to contact them now before the situation changes with Comet and you potentially face the prospect of losing your tv, i think that's highly unlikely but it is the worse case senario.

As ever keep us updated with your progress but what i will say to you is I can't see you losing the tv completely as all uncompleted repairs should be returned if the company does go under, it's not like a new order where you can face the prospect of losing your money but it could take some time for the tv to be returned to you. Keep your head up and i'm sure you will get it back soon :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
comet failed as a company & now they are failing administration, shame on you comet.

Well it's actually shame on Deloitte but sadly that's what administrator's are there for - priority to pay the creditors and screw the customers.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi to everybody that have replied to this thread after trying agaun to ring comet in regard to my tv and getting no answer i have resigned myself to the fact that i am not going to see my tv again. so although i have not metioned it before i contacted the finance company who financed the purchase and explained the situation to them who are in the process of dealing with alot of customers in my situation they are now looking into it to see if they can help me but have said if they cant then i would have to go through the administrators to try and get my tv back. which is my next question i thought that if a company financed this purchase arnt they in some respect liable to help me with this situation and if i dont get the goods back can i refuse to pay as i dont seem why i should have to pay for something i havent got this is just such a diabollical mess i just dont know what to do next :cry:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
PHONE CITIZENS ADVICE ON THE NUMBER I GAVE YOU! Only they can advise you on matters such as these, with the best will in the world this is just a forum and as far as i'm aware there are no cusumer lawyers present on here so get some proper advice from someone who knows the law in this situation...that's just common sense no??

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy just phoned citizens advice they have said that finance company are also liable under section 75 of the cosumer credit act so at the momet i have just got to wait either to hear from comet and the finance company so as soon as i hear anything i will post on hear as always thanks for everyones help

TRENDING THREADS