COMET WARRANTY ISSUES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
According to law, it is the administrator's responsibility to honour warranties. Also, my understanding is that The manufacturer provides the parts for free if used within warranty.

Apologies for getting that wrong but thanks for the info very handy to know :)

I didn't mean to offend in any way btw was just saying things as i see them so hope i didn't offend you in any way as that certainly was not my intention.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
hi oldboy just phoned citizens advice they have said that finance company are also liable under section 75 of the cosumer credit act so at the momet i have just got to wait either to hear from comet and the finance company so as soon as i hear anything i will post on hear as always thanks for everyones help

That's good news. At least you are covered for any loss which is the main thing although it doesn't make up for the time you have been without the tv and the hassle you have been through, hopefully it doesn't come to this and you receive the tv back soon but it's far better to be prepared for the worse...good on you for getting some proper advice as at least now you are fully prepared no matter what happens :)

Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
According to law, it is the administrator's responsibility to honour warranties. Also, my understanding is that The manufacturer provides the parts for free if used within warranty.

I didn't mean to offend in any way btw was just saying things as i see them so hope i didn't offend you in any way as that certainly was not my intention.

No offence taken. :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Oldboy said:
bigboss said:

No offence taken. :)

Phew! Didn't want to upset my favourite bargain hunter, you've saved me a fair few quid over the years :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Wasnt the root cause of Comets demise the fact that they couldnt get credit!

poor buisiness model=poor revene=poor cashflow=poor capital=poor credit rating=no credit=no stock=no revenue

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Wasnt the root cause of Comets demise the fact that they couldnt get credit!

poor buisiness model=poor revene=poor cashflow=poor capital=poor credit rating=no credit=no stock=no revenue

Yep that's exactly what happened and nicely put, if you can't pay your bills then you won't get goods or services...simple economics. They might yet get bailed out though if a buyer is found but it's not business model I would want to buy into!

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy im afraid since i spoke to comet on monday when the said it was being packed to be returned to me i have heard nothing tried ringing them yesterday and the option to get through to repair centre has been removed of there line so i have most proberly lost the tv which as far as i am concerned they have stole. my only option now is to hope that the compant that financed the purchase can sort it out although i am no expert in what happens i.e do i get another tv or money back i have paid i just dont know, its a case of sitting waiting to hear from finance company and finally i have no sympathy for comet there theifs and deserve all they get :cry:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
hi oldboy im afraid since i spoke to comet on monday when the said it was being packed to be returned to me i have heard nothing tried ringing them yesterday and the option to get through to repair centre has been removed of there line so i have most proberly lost the tv which as far as i am concerned they have stole. my only option now is to hope that the compant that financed the purchase can sort it out although i am no expert in what happens i.e do i get another tv or money back i have paid i just dont know, its a case of sitting waiting to hear from finance company and finally i have no sympathy for comet there theifs and deserve all they get :cry:

Have you tried just talking to Comet customer service instead of trying to get through to the repair centre? I'm sure someone at Comet must know what's going on with your tv so I think a little persistance is required here and a bit of sweet talking, try to remain calm (I know how difficult that can be!) and if the person you are speaking to isn't helpful then ask to speak to their supervisor to get some answers as the tv must be in their system.

I don't think you have lost it yet but I do think you need to act quickly to get it resolved and by speaking to just one person everytime is the way forward, you need to get one person at Comet to take responsibility for your situation which is what I would do in your situation...if you have to then speak to the administrator as they have a legal responsibility with regards to your tv! On the website this is on the home page just so you know who they are and who they represent:

"On 2 November 2012, Neville Barry Kahn, Nicholas Guy Edwards and Christopher James Farrington each a partner in Deloitte LLP were appointed Joint Administrators, and now manage the affairs, business and property of, Comet Group Limited.

The Joint Administrators contract as agents of the Company only and without personal liability. The Joint Administrators are authorised to act as Insolvency Practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)."

Get stuck in my friend and don't give up as I really do think the tv is not lost yet and that you have more options, it is also worth getting back in touch with Citizens Advice Consumer Line for some further advice but don't give up just yet.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
This not really good news is it.

The problem with a company going into administration is that all goods, stock, bank a/cs etc are frozen and the only people that can free them up are the administrators.

It happened to a company I worked for 4 years ago. No wages, no holiday money, no redundancy money and nothing in leau of notice.

We had to go through the insolvency service to get what we were owed, who actually are very good.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy and other forum members who have replied to this post still no sign of my tv managed to contact comet customer support and explained the hassle i was having trying to get my tv back. they also tried to contact the repair centre but to no availe all they could tell me is what i allready knew tv was packed for return on the 21st november thats it ,this is now the fourth week so all i can do is wait to see what the finance company can do,as its obvious comet have no itention of being in a hurry to return my tv if they return it at all so now its ouy of my hands,just hope finance company comes up trumps just a case of sit and wait so stressfull but what can i do nothing >)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Not theft, very difficult to say anyone has an intention permanently to deprive or that anyone has acted dishonestly, as opposed to ineptly. BUT your situation is different from someone who purchases from a company and doesn't get the goods before they go bust. You have paid for and received your tv, wherever it is it remains your property. So other than the difficulty tracking it down (!) you are entitled to it back. It is NOT an asset of comet to be sold off to pay creditors. As well as finding a single contact as oldboy suggests, I would start to get this in writing to the administrators. Request replies within 7 days.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Not theft, very difficult to say anyone has an intention permanently to deprive or that anyone has acted dishonestly, as opposed to ineptly. BUT your situation is different from someone who purchases from a company and doesn't get the goods before they go bust. You have paid for and received your tv, wherever it is it remains your property. So other than the difficulty tracking it down (!) you are entitled to it back. It is NOT an asset of comet to be sold off to pay creditors. As well as finding a single contact as oldboy suggests, I would start to get this in writing to the administrators. Request replies within 7 days.

Couldn't have put it better myself BenLaw :clap:

The only other option is to take a trip to the repair centre yourself and pick it up if that's at all possible?? I can see where bigboss is coming from as in many ways it could well be a case of theft as goods that you have paid for have in essence gone missing within the company and in that respect it could be argued that the repair centre has stolen your tv BUT proving that is a completely different matter as BenLaw pointed out so well.

The only crumb of comfort is that the tv remains your property and should be returned to you so as I suggested in an earlier post you should contact the administrator (whose details I supplied for you) to get your tv returned to you, only in the event of this failing should you be relying on the finance company because then you can rightfully argue that you have taken all the steps possible to retreive your tv from Comet and their repair agent.

The only other suggestion is to get the name of one person at Comet who can deal with this with a direct number and hope that they can find the tv within the repair agents system...personally I would say the tv is just sitting in the repairers warehouse and yet to be despatched!!

I really feel for you 3937edwards and can just hope that this week brings some good news fingers crossed :pray:

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy well well well i dont believe im getting my tv back! oh yes. i phoned comet again today and after getting the run around i was put through to there technicall department. after i started to explain the diabolical situation comet had put me in he then stopped me in my tracks and said it was not his department i then pleaded with his good nature to help me as as far as i was concerned my tv had been stolen by comet as no one new of its where abouts and i had no option but to report it to the police,he then said if you can hold the line a minute so i said okay. he then came back and said that they were going to send an email to the service centre manager and another important boff in the company. i then send this had been done to which he replyed not true the other emails only went to admin this email was going one step higher so i thought okay give it a go.he said you should get a response within 24hrs i thought yeah right end of phone call.after 10 minutes of putting the phone down it rang guess what! yes wait for it ,it was comet yes i said comet we will be returning your tv this saturday, well after picking myself of the floor i said what am i hearing right they said yes we will be returning it this saturday the 1st thats all i wanted i said to her so whether it was the threat of getting the police involved or just a touch of luck from a employee whos depatment it wasent i am just so glad to get the tv back. one question oldboy before i go do you think that panasonic would do the repair on sight as not having the tv for a month i dont fancy the prospect of being without the tv for another couple of weeks any advice please, as always thanks for everyones help and advice :dance:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

That's good news.

BUT, just a word of caution. If I was you, I wouldn't sign to accept the tv back until you have thoroughly checked it over.

Even if you sign "unchecked", they'll still do nothing about it if it is damaged, and if you just sign for it without checking it, you haven't got a hope of getting any possible damage repaired by Comet.

The delivery driver won't like it, but if you explain the situation to him, I'm sure he'll understand.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
That's good news.

BUT, just a word of caution. If I was you, I wouldn't sign to accept the tv back until you have thoroughly checked it over.

Even if you sign "unchecked", they'll still do nothing about it if it is damaged, and if you just sign for it without checking it, you haven't got a hope of getting any possible damage repaired by Comet.

The delivery driver won't like it, but if you explain the situation to him, I'm sure he'll understand.

Good point.

Great news by the way! I think Panasonic will want to repair it in their service centre rather than at home. They may be kind enough to loan you a TV if you ask.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
That's fabulous news 3937edwards :grin:

It's about time you got some good news after all the hassle you have had with the tv, I agree with checking the tv over too so don't let the delivery driver leave or sign anything before checking it over...I know this sounds strange but check the serial number too so you know it's your tv they are delivering back.

No Panasonic will not repair the tv on site unless it's a repair being carried out with software, in all other instances it will be taken away but with your recent experience I would negotiate a loan set and get a time frame for the repair before it's even taken away...that's the very least Panasonic can do so just explain what you have been through and how unhappy you are with the tv going away again. This is all time you should have been enjoying your tv after all and it's been eating into your warranty period so there is definately room for negotiation here.

I really hope you get good service from Panasonic now and that the tv arrives back ok on saturday and as ever keep us updated with your progress.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy and other members just an update got tv back saturday checked tv before signing for it and was very surprized it was returned in the same condition it went out of my house in so well done to comet in that respect, just hope now that with all the hassle i have had and being without the tv for a month panasonic will come up trumps and sort a loan set out for me if my tv has to go away again exspecially on top of christmas will phone them on monday and post the outcome again on this thread :)

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Please forgive me if this is a daft question, but if the TV was only 10 months old surely it could be sent/taken to any approved Panasonic repair centre as it was still within the manufacturers warranty period?

If that's the case then all this grief could've been bypassed...

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Please forgive me if this is a daft question, but if the TV was only 10 months old surely it could be sent/taken to any approved Panasonic repair centre as it was still within the manufacturers warranty period?

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS