Cleaning Connections - Help Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i've had some OLD hifi equipment in my office for years now (its where my legacy kit goes to die!).
It comprises:
Amp: Pioneer A400, CD: Marantz CD52, Tuner: Denon TU260L, Speakers: Mission 760i.

Recently the speakers have been getting a lot of interference - crackling and popping.
I suspect the kit needs a good clean, as its been unmoved for about 12 years(!!) and my office is a pretty dusty room.

What would you recommend for me to use to clean the equipment?

I was thinking of some sort of solvent cleaner for all the interconnects - does anyone have any recommendations?
And possibly opening up the Amp and maybe the CD player and cleaning the internals via a can of compressed air.

Does all this sound sensible, and PLEASE can anyone recommend an appropriate interconnect cleaner.

Also i'm taking delivery of a new TV (Panny 32LZD81) and a PS3 with Play TV this week. Should I be pre-treating/cleaning the interconnects with anything when I hook them up?

Thanks,
Dave

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I just use contact cleaner from Maplin (its about £4), along with a cotton bud if things are very dirty.

As for the internals, compressed air sounds like a good plan, but I'd keep it away from any sensitive items like the CD player lens. I've used a standard hoover (on a low suction) in the past with good results.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I've had exactly the same problem before that was caused by one of my speaker wire ends that had oxidised. I cut abit of each end of the wires, stripped the cable and re-soldered and that cured it.

You could also give your system a bit of a boost by upgrading your old speaker cables. Chord and QED have some decent cable for around £5 a metre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts