Comparison of record cleaning machines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

marb67

Well-known member
Jul 30, 2015
20
2
10,525
Al ears said:
The_Lhc said:
I thought you could adjust the height of the suction arm? There was something in the manual that mentioned moving the arm.
Agreed the arm height is crucial, it must be adjustable. If it isn't then lack of suction is not surprising. Take it back.
The spindle height is adjustable but it needs a special hexagonal key which isn't provided. Also, no instruction on how to set it.
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
marb67 said:
Al ears said:
The_Lhc said:
I thought you could adjust the height of the suction arm? There was something in the manual that mentioned moving the arm.
Agreed the arm height is crucial, it must be adjustable. If it isn't then lack of suction is not surprising. Take it back.
The spindle height is adjustable but it needs a special hexagonal key which isn't provided. Also, no instruction on how to set it.
There are instructions at the bottom of the page here, you'll need an allen key though as you've discovered. - http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=vc-s&cat=cleaning&lang=en

I am suprised that you're suffering from a lack of suction though, being polite here - but they really do suck !

If it's not clearing the fluid from the record as seen in the video then there is definately something wrong somewhere and you should get it back to the dealer.
 

marb67

Well-known member
Jul 30, 2015
20
2
10,525
brownz said:
marb67 said:
Al ears said:
The_Lhc said:
I thought you could adjust the height of the suction arm? There was something in the manual that mentioned moving the arm.
Agreed the arm height is crucial, it must be adjustable. If it isn't then lack of suction is not surprising. Take it back.
The spindle height is adjustable but it needs a special hexagonal key which isn't provided. Also, no instruction on how to set it.
There are instructions at the bottom of the page here, you'll need an allen key though as you've discovered. - http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=vc-s&cat=cleaning&lang=en

I am suprised that you're suffering from a lack of suction though, being polite here - but they really do suck !

If it's not clearing the fluid from the record as seen in the video then there is definately something wrong somewhere and you should get it back to the dealer.
Tried with different records and the suction is weak. I put my hand over it and it's far weaker than our domestic vacuum. The retailer is sending a replacement so I wait in hope.
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
Excellent, let me know which dealer you're dealing with and I'll keep an eye out for it arriving back here.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
4
0
keeper of the quays said:
My eraser sponge cost £1 it has eight sponges in box...should last at least six months...im sorry. But even as i am a humble man..humility is my watchword! I'm feeling rather smug! Later I'll feel bad for feeling smug but right now? I'm Mr smug man...
Empty vessels make the most noise.
 

Joe10155

Well-known member
Oct 25, 2008
19
0
18,520
A few years ago I bought a Moth Mk2 RCM kit and built the case using some furniture board I already had. The build was made a little more difficult as the board was thicker than the specified materials so I had to do a few simple calculations and do a sketch with the new measurements. I made one or two slight changes to the extract ventilation area from the vacuum motor as I recall, to improve the air flow. All in all it all went together fairly well.

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the quality/design of some of the parts; for instance, the vacuum tube that sucks off the used fluid is made from plastic domestic plumbing tube and fittings. However, it works well.

It came with a fluid application brush, much like those carbon anti-static brushes only with much longer "hairs" and a small bottle of their own cleaning fluid.

One thing I like is that the vacuum tube is located below the record, which allows you to start cleaning side B whilst side A is being sucked dry. Due to the very loud noise of the vacuum motor in use, I tended to clean no more than a dozen records at any one time so as not to disturb the neighbours too much. You can get quite a good rhythm going after a while. I've cleaned around 400-500 LPs and around a 100 78's (different cleaning fluid needed for the 78's). I haven't got round to cleaning my 50 or so 45's yet.

Overall, I needed to change the velvet protective strips on the vacuum tube 4 times, used around 3-4 litres of fluids and an awful lot of new anti-static inner sleeves (from Covers33). I changed the fluid application brush once too, but that was because I dropped in my workshop area and it got covered in all sorts of muck. The vacuum tube is now beginning to wear and is a bit loose and floppy; I'm not sure if replacements are available for that though.

To sum up, it works really well (apart from the noise), cleans & dry's the records and never have I had such lovely crackle free playback.
 

marb67

Well-known member
Jul 30, 2015
20
2
10,525
I will say that after using the magic eraser last week which did a decent job of getting my mouldy records clean, I have since discovered on one of my albums, that I had to clean quite a bit more than the rest to get the crud out, indelible scuffs and abrasive patterns left on the vinyl so it does actually act like sandpaper.

I will also say that now my needle seems to get crud building up quite rapidly since I played the still damp record (I was unaware at the time) from the cleaner that the magic eraser method of gently dropping the stylus onto it is baloney. There were visible bits of white sticking to the stylus causing muffled crackling while playing a brand new record. After dropping the needle back on the sponge after cleaning off with the special brush it again picked up more white deposits from the sponge. Not good. Will now have to just use the provided brush gently.

Another issue I found is a brand new Scott Walker album had crud on it out of the wrapper. You can actually feel bits of stuff if you gently run the side of your finger over the vinyl. hat's that all about then. Am I going to have to clean every new record too ?
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,175
1
0
marb67 said:
I will say that after using the magic eraser last week which did a decent job of getting my mouldy records clean, I have since discovered on one of my albums, that I had to clean quite a bit more than the rest to get the crud out, indelible scuffs and abrasive patterns left on the vinyl so it does actually act like sandpaper.

I will also say that now my needle seems to get crud building up quite rapidly since I played the still damp record (I was unaware at the time) from the cleaner that the magic eraser method of gently dropping the stylus onto it is baloney. There were visible bits of white sticking to the stylus causing muffled crackling while playing a brand new record. After dropping the needle back on the sponge after cleaning off with the special brush it again picked up more white deposits from the sponge. Not good. Will now have to just use the provided brush gently.

Another  issue I found is a brand new Scott Walker album had crud on it out of the wrapper. You can actually feel bits of stuff if you gently run the side of your finger over the vinyl. hat's that all about then. Am I going to have to clean every new record too ?
I believe it's release agent from the pressing process. Many people do advocate cleaning new records (RCM manufacturers in particular, surprisingly...), although I've never tried it myself.
 

marb67

Well-known member
Jul 30, 2015
20
2
10,525
Just taken delivery of the replacement machine and the difference in suction is like night and day. Obviously it had a fault with the vacuum. After cleaning my records are now vastly improved. Pretty good investment for £299 which you could easily fritter away on a few things.
 

Vickersman

New member
Nov 5, 2013
1
0
0
I went to the Bristol show and saw a demo of the VCS, suitably impressed I bought one and have now had it for a few weeks. Whilst it is rather noisy when the vacuum is going it does seem to do a very good job. I have for many years been using a Cecil Watts Parostatik disc preener, anybody remember them! Having created plenty of static it was time for the Zerostat gun. Now the records come off the VCS spotless, no static, and sound better than they ever have. It is a bulky and rather charmless lump but it does the business. The only defect I am aware of is a tendency for the vacuum arm pads to come away from the tube when not in use: others have commented on this. I have tied them on with a couple of lengths of cotton thread at the ends. Mr Bodgitt.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
4
0
marb67 said:
Just taken delivery of the replacement machine and the difference in suction is like night and day. Obviously it had a fault with the vacuum. After cleaning my records are now vastly improved. Pretty good investment for £299 which you could easily fritter away on a few things.
Hi Marb67 I'm glad you got it sorted. It always did sound like a faulty machine.

Are you or Vickersman able to post up eg via YouTube any before and after demos? They're frustraingly hard to find for this machine other than the formal video from Henley. Ta.
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
MajorFubar said:
marb67 said:
Just taken delivery of the replacement machine and the difference in suction is like night and day. Obviously it had a fault with the vacuum. After cleaning my records are now vastly improved. Pretty good investment for £299 which you could easily fritter away on a few things.
Hi Marb67 I'm glad you got it sorted. It always did sound like a faulty machine.

Are you or Vickersman able to post up eg via YouTube any before and after demos? They're frustraingly hard to find for this machine other than the formal video from Henley. Ta.
I've just done an unformal video for you.....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4d95ty644z0j1p/AAAFFsrNbpaT7LIQWycLK2ETa?dl=0
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
4
0
brownz said:
I've just done an unformal video for you.....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4d95ty644z0j1p/AAAFFsrNbpaT7LIQWycLK2ETa?dl=0
Thank you very much, really appreciate the time you've taken. Looks like it does a good job!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS