Switch cleaning advice sought.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have an 80's boombox that crackles when switched on to the radio. I'm fairly sure the switch is dirty. It is a 3 way toggle switch. I did clean it with Servisol Super 10 cleaning lubricant about 2 years ago which worked for a few months before it started crackling again. Because the boombox needs to be taken apart to clean the switch I'm looking for a solution that will last longer. I intend first using a can of compressed air to blow the dirt out. Then spraying in some Servisol Aero Klene 50 electronic cleaning solvent and finally a squirt of Caig Labs DeoxIT D5. Would this be better than simply giving it a good squirt of Servisol Super 10?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
George said:
I have an 80's boombox that crackles when switched on to the radio. I'm fairly sure the switch is dirty. It is a 3 way toggle switch. I did clean it with Servisol Super 10 cleaning lubricant about 2 years ago which worked for a few months before it started crackling again. Because the boombox needs to be taken apart to clean the switch I'm looking for a solution that will last longer. I intend first using a can of compressed air to blow the dirt out. Then spraying in some Servisol Aero Klene 50 electronic cleaning solvent and finally a squirt of Caig Labs DeoxIT D5. Would this be better than simply giving it a good squirt of Servisol Super 10?

I've used WD40 on old amps where no standard cleaner could do a good job, then cleaned well with alcohol. No problems so far.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I can vouch for the Servisol and DeoxIT, but yeah you have to strip it down, it's no good just firing some through the fascia slit and hoping some gets in. Likely the contacts inside the switch are tarnished with age.

TRENDING THREADS