Classe amplification

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
If I can move the 35P on for a reasonable sum the changeover should be quite reasonable.

Not too worried about the power consumption side of things.

Just trying to work out a way to do a home demo first.

The only real drawback is the size of the thing. It won't fit in my rack like the 35P & will require significant shift of kit.

U wanna buy a 35P? ;)

Wazzup :quest:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
If I can move the 35P on for a reasonable sum the changeover should be quite reasonable.

Not too worried about the power consumption side of things.

Just trying to work out a way to do a home demo first.

The only real drawback is the size of the thing. It won't fit in my rack like the 35P & will require significant shift of kit.

U wanna buy a 35P? ;)

Wazzup :quest:

Good morning! quite a lot is up actually.

Spoke to my MF dealer about the possibility of doing a home demo with the AMS50. Unfortunately they didn't have one in the shop. He was saying that the AMS kit is getting a bit tricky to source. That same discussion we were having around the availability of the 35i. Production has not stopped as such, but MF need to have a minimum number of pre-orders to justify a production run. And if this causes issues for the supply of the 35i you can imagine what it would do to the 50P.

So anyway, I have pulled the trigger on an ex-demo 50P from the states, just in the final stages of sorting our transport costs. Rang MF who assure me the the AMS range have variable voltage power supplies & can be swapped between 110 - 240 by a qualified tech. My dealer who sold me the MF kit is willing to arrange for their in-house techs to do the changeover for me (very generous of them) & will let me put the 35P in their shop on consignment.

I'm probably utterly mad making such a purchase without a demo. But the chaneover cost once I've sold the 35P is more than reasonable. I'm familiar enough with the AMS sound now & really can't see the 50P not being a step up.

And then there's one other significant Christmas present that I've bought myself....... >) (stupid red devil icon, why won't it work!)

There is a second hand (mint condition) Klimax DS on it's way as well!!! Changeover cost once I sell the Akkurate was to good to turn down.

Hehehehehe, feeling a bit jealous mate? :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:

Not in the slightest (said through gritted teeth)!

Is it the Klimax DS/1?.......what a system you should end up with. :bounce:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

Not in the slightest (said through gritted teeth)!

Is it the Klimax DS/1?.......what a system you should end up with. :bounce:

Yes it is the DS1. A 2010 variant, but has had the Dynamik PS added.

I've told my missus about the 50P but am think about just swapping the Klimax in for the Akkurate and seeing if she notices!!! ;)

I'd say that this will pretty much finish the hi-fi purchasing side of life for quite some time, apart from some tweaking with cables etc.

So I could probably do you a package deal on the 35P with the Akkurate if you're looking to step it up? :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Yes it is the DS1. A 2010 variant, but has had the Dynamik PS added.

I've told my missus about the 50P but am think about just swapping the Klimax in for the Akkurate and seeing if she notices!!! ;)

I'd say that this will pretty much finish the hi-fi purchasing side of life for quite some time, apart from some tweaking with cables etc.

So I could probably do you a package deal on the 35P with the Akkurate if you're looking to step it up? :twisted:

If it's from 2010, it's the old version (DS/0) but with Dynamik fitted.......even still, it's one of the best sources available. The latest version (DS/1) is better again, but at a premium. Either version has an "analogue-like" naturalness that the other models can't match.

ATM I'm on a hifi spending drought. :(

Edit. It was possible to upgrade the DS/0 to a DS/1, but it was much more substantial than a p/s upgrade: http://hifi-advice.com/Linn-Klimax-DS-1-review.html

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

If it's from 2010, it's the old version (DS/0) but with Dynamik fitted.......even still, it's one of the best sources available. The latest version (DS/1) is better again, but at a premium. Either version has an "analogue-like" naturalness that the other models can't match.

ATM I'm on a hifi spending drought. :(

[/quote]

Are you sure? I thought I was of the understanding that it was the same unit, but the Dynamik turned it into the /1.

Either way, my Akkurate is a 2010 variant, so it will be a step up. The changeover cost was to good to turn down.

I'll swap you a 35P for your centre speaker! ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Are you sure? I thought I was of the understanding that it was the same unit, but the Dynamik turned it into the /1.

Yes, I'm sure (see the link I have now put in my last post).

When the upgrade happened, the old insides could be put in a plain box (at a cost), and sold as a Klimax Renew,

The same thing happened to the Akurate, which is known as the ADS/1.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

Yes, I'm sure (see the link I have now put in my last post).

When the upgrade happened, the old insides could be put in a plain box (at a cost), and sold as a Klimax Renew,

The same thing happened to the Akurate, which is known as the ADS/1.

Thanks for that link, very interesting read. Didn't exactly paint the DS in the most favourable of lights?

Either way I'm stepping up from an Akkurate of the same vintage so it should be an improvement. The buy price was $400 Aus more than I paid for my Akkurate, so as long as I can move it on for close to what I paid it will be a very reasonable swap over.

I'm not expecting night & day & until I saw the sale price a change wasn't even on my radar. We will see (or hear) soon, shall post my findings.

Now I'm just left hoping that all this can happen before Christmas!

Must say that the ongoing silver ling of all those 35i dramas I had is the ability to change power amps. Really is bonus.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Thanks for that link, very interesting read. Didn't exactly paint the DS in the most favourable of lights?

Either way I'm stepping up from an Akkurate of the same vintage so it should be an improvement. The buy price was $400 Aus more than I paid for my Akkurate, so as long as I can move it on for close to what I paid it will be a very reasonable swap over.

I'm not expecting night & day & until I saw the sale price a change wasn't even on my radar. We will see (or hear) soon, shall post my findings.

Must say that the ongoing silver ling of all those 35i dramas I had is the ability to change power amps. Really is bonus.

I would expect the change to be quite substantial, as the KDS/0 is better than an ADS/1 (which is a good step up from your model).......it's only in comparison to the new model that it is found a little wanting.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

I would expect the change to be quite substantial, as the KDS/0 is better than an ADS/1 (which is a good step up from your model).......it's only in comparison to the new model that it is found a little wanting.

I certainly hope that you're right. I suspect that this change when combined to the 50P will give a substantital lift to the system overall.

I thought that I might have reached my own personal hifi peak, but just as I arrive Iook up and there's one more stage to go :doh:

Oh well, at least it gives you something to egg me on about :p

Neuphonix said:
@ Rick: had to laugh a myself, after saying that two subs is OTT in my room I may now be moving the F110 & F112 on to move onto 2 x F113!!!! >)

(Why can I never get the red devil icon to work :cry:, am I not evil enough?)

Hi Neuphonix

:grin:

Two Fathom f113's will be great :twisted: or even a single Fathom f212 :twisted: will give you a significant upgrade over the already superb Fathom f110 and Fathom f112 subwoofers and should also almost transform the depth, drive, punch and the soundstage of your system with relative ease.

Btw, we should now be doubling up on the JL E subs for our AV system - 4 E110 + 4 E112 + 1 Fathom f113 + 1 Fathom f212 :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My AMS50 arrived home yesterday after having the voltage changed from 110V to 240V.

Luckily I had a friend there to help me lift it into place!

Only had a short chance to listen, but I must say initial impressions are good. Everything seems to have more control, the bass is tighter & more defined, an overall sense of solidity & authority that was not there before.

I'm looking after a friends house at the moment so didn't get a chance to listen for long, will update you more when I have listened for longer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
I'm looking after a friends house at the moment so didn't get a chance to listen for long, will update you more when I have listened for longer.

I expect nothing less, and am very much looking forward to hearing about any improvements over the 35P.

Have you thought of listening to a Linn TT?

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

I expect nothing less, and am very much looking forward to hearing about any improvements over the 35P.

The planned Kliax upgrade did not end up happening, and in some ways this might end up being a blessing.

I'm still not 100% certain about heading down the vinyl rd, but I do have to admit the sound is special & unique.

The Linn TT will prob get a spot on my list, but TBH I don't like the look of them, I know it's the sound which is paramount but I do prefer a more modern styling.

So far in the 1 day I have spent considering the option I have ended up with a list which included RP6/RP8, Clearaudio performance, VPI scout series & now as per Steve's suggestion the Micel Geotec. The dealer I bought my DS from has a second hand clearaudio champion in stock which may be worth considering.

I still have a lot to learn on this fron before I make any commitment.

Did a good demo yesterday with a friend who was considering a speaker purchase. Had a chance to listen to the new Focal Aria's on the end on an M6i, they are nice,detailed but not as forward as the normal Focal sound. BIG speakers, very imposing.

My mate bought a second hand set of Krix Neuphonix floorstanders, change over price from his old floorstanders was very low, so too good a deal to pass on. While we were there I convinced him to spend some time checking out amps as well, he's wasn't sold on the need to buy a good amp.

Started with the M6i and I have to say it was entirely unconvincing, really lacked control in the bottom end, sounded dry & almost lifeless. Tested it with an AMS-CD, Rega RP8 on both the Krix & Focal speakers.

The we changed to an Electro ECi-3 & you should have seen the look on his face!!! He just GOT what I had been on about in an instant. Must more life & detail, much more control in the bottom end. It was interesting for me as I had not heard the Elctro sound before. Detailed, dark & warm, almost syrupy sweet, perhaps a touch to much so for my taste. I really liked it, but it seemed to flavour the sound more than I was used to & I'm not sure I could live with that in the long term.

Then we swapped to an AMS-35i. Didn't have time to warm it up to be at its best, but to my ears better. Same level of detail & control, but more open & not so sweet.

My friend actually said he prefered the Electro sound however, so we might be going back to do a shoot off between the EC3 & EC5. I'm trying to sell him my old 35P and get him to buy and Naim or Linn DSM to use as a pre-amp instead.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Having used Vinyl with a decent TT (LP12 / Ittok / Asak), all be it over 20 years ago, I don't miss it, as the DS is so good.

If you want my opinion, it would be to hear a Linn Klimax DS (1), and if that covers all bases, use the money saved from a TT and put it toward a KDS.

A bake off between a KDS and a good TT will help you decide on your direction.

It is not for nothing that I bang on about the ECI-3 &5.....it's also why Electro likes the synergy with PMC, which offsets the darkness of the amp to just the right degree. The monoblocks work nicely with Kef Refs, which as you now know, like (imo) a touch of warmth.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Having used Vinyl with a decent TT (LP12 / Ittok / Asak), all be it over 20 years ago, I don't miss it, as the DS is so good.

If you want my opinion, it would be to hear a Linn Klimax DS (1), and if that covers all bases, use the money saved from a TT and put it toward a KDS.

A bake off between a KDS and a good TT will help you decide on your direction.

It is not for nothing that I bang on about the ECI-3 &5.....it's also why Electro likes the synergy with PMC, which offsets the darkness of the amp to just the right degree. The monoblocks work nicely with Kef Refs, which as you now know, like (imo) a touch of warmth.

Yes I must say when I went home & put the DS on the night & difference between the vinyl and CD that I'd heard at the dealers did seem somehwat diminished.

The opportunity to change over to a Klimax for the same amount as a decent vinyl set-up might be limited. I'll have to have a chat with the DS dealer & see if he has any second hand Klimax DS units lying around!

Having spent so much time ripping my CDs & tidying up my library I do have a certain reluctance to shift to another medium.

But it certainly does sound pretty good.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The KDS is the most analogue sounding of the range, and the /1 version is a decent step up.

I wasn't suggesting you jump immediately, but bide your time until the right one comes along.....do the homework now, so you know where your money is best placed.

Remember, a TT is a labour of love and not a plug n' play solution.......everything about it is a pain in the behind, which can be addictive if you have the right mindset. That sub of yours would blow the arm right across the record. :twisted:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You mean subS!! :twisted:

The labour of love thing is appealing for an OCD such as myself, and does give me another avenue to explore (read that as spend money).

But I have them sum total of one whole record at this point in time and so would be starting from scratch in collectors terms. There is also the idea of having an album in vinyl and being able to use it in other ways, so if I bought a particular item on vinyl & wanted to listen to it in my car would I have to buy it twice?

If my recent attempt at changing over to a Klimax had come to fruition we woiuld not be having this conversation.

The dealer who sells the Linn DS does have an awesome range of turntables in their shop, so it will be relatively easy to do a comparison between the Klimax & say the clearaudio performance or the scoutmaster 2.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
To do a meaningful comparison (if at the dealer), you will need a Class A sounding amp and some reference type speakers.....you will find it a very interesting and worthwhile exercise......be very careful that a TT isn't a romantic, but transient notion.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
yes "transient notion" does sum it up, that is waht I am trying to be cautious of.

Can I ask, do you still own a TT / listen to vinyl often/ever?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
yes "transient notion" does sum it up, that is waht I am trying to be cautious of.

Can I ask, do you still own a TT / listen to vinyl often/ever?

I no longer own a TT, but occasionally listen at both of the 2 dealers I use. I still have a soft spot for the LP12, but the higher spec versions get into silly money.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The house that my wife & I are minding at the moment belongs to the guy who sort of prompted me to consider the hifi road.

He has a pair of Diablos being fed my and AMS50/primo with vinyl set-up.

Really good hearing the Diablos again in a good system. Not that I would ever go back, but does remind me of why I fell in live with them in the first place.

They certainly seem to perform much better with vinyl & also in a larger room with more space.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The house that my wife & I are minding at the moment belongs to the guy who sort of prompted me to consider the hifi road.

He has a pair of Diablos being fed my and AMS50/primo with vinyl set-up.

Really good hearing the Diablos again in a good system. Not that I would ever go back, but does remind me of why I fell in live with them in the first place.

They certainly seem to perform much better with vinyl & also in a larger room with more space.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

The planned Kliax upgrade did not end up happening, and in some ways this might end up being a blessing.

I'm still not 100% certain about heading down the vinyl rd, but I do have to admit the sound is special & unique.

The Linn TT will prob get a spot on my list, but TBH I don't like the look of them, I know it's the sound which is paramount but I do prefer a more modern styling.

So far in the 1 day I have spent considering the option I have ended up with a list which included RP6/RP8, Clearaudio performance, VPI scout series & now as per Steve's suggestion the Micel Geotec. The dealer I bought my DS from has a second hand clearaudio champion in stock which may be worth considering.

I still have a lot to learn on this fron before I make any commitment.

Did a good demo yesterday with a friend who was considering a speaker purchase. Had a chance to listen to the new Focal Aria's on the end on an M6i, they are nice,detailed but not as forward as the normal Focal sound. BIG speakers, very imposing.

My mate bought a second hand set of Krix Neuphonix floorstanders, change over price from his old floorstanders was very low, so too good a deal to pass on. While we were there I convinced him to spend some time checking out amps as well, he's wasn't sold on the need to buy a good amp.

Started with the M6i and I have to say it was entirely unconvincing, really lacked control in the bottom end, sounded dry & almost lifeless. Tested it with an AMS-CD, Rega RP8 on both the Krix & Focal speakers.

The we changed to an Electro ECi-3 & you should have seen the look on his face!!! He just GOT what I had been on about in an instant. Must more life & detail, much more control in the bottom end. It was interesting for me as I had not heard the Elctro sound before. Detailed, dark & warm, almost syrupy sweet, perhaps a touch to much so for my taste. I really liked it, but it seemed to flavour the sound more than I was used to & I'm not sure I could live with that in the long term.

Then we swapped to an AMS-35i. Didn't have time to warm it up to be at its best, but to my ears better. Same level of detail & control, but more open & not so sweet.

My friend actually said he prefered the Electro sound however, so we might be going back to do a shoot off between the EC3 & EC5. I'm trying to sell him my old 35P and get him to buy and Naim or Linn DSM to use as a pre-amp instead.

I am glad you liked the Electro ECI3 , it's not bad for the entry level amp in the classic range is it :) .

The sweetness you mention does reduce slightly when the amp has been in use for a few hours, the sound becomes faster and more detailed with more pronounced dynamic swings and greater focus, depth and layering of the soundstage.

There are two versions of the ECI5 , the original that is unfortunately now discontinued which was really just a much more powerful version of the ECI3, and the ECI5 MK2 that sounds slightly more forward and has a less sweet and dark presentation .

The ECI3 can compete with some very exotic equipment as you have heard :)

TRENDING THREADS