Chromecast

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi

i have used an Apple TV with a Rega Dac and Cyrus Pre/Power with excellent results. I currently subscribe to both Qobuz And Spotify, is there any reason for me to replace the Apple TV with a Chromecast and is this possible to do?

thanks in advance

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a Chromecast and used to have apple airplay.
In short I cannot say I noticed much difference. Only thing I can say is that the Chromecast is more stable and quicker to respond than my previous apple airplay solution. Also sharing media on my tv is easier.

Basically it's down to what phone you have (iphone or android) if you use it in conjunction with your apple tv and if you use itunes and store music as aac or apple lossless. If you like apple products stick with what you have. If you don't mind either way I find the Chromecast is the cheaper option.

EnjoyingTheMusic

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I use Chromecast Audio with Windows 10 - it works perfectly. In Chrome browser you download a little applet extension then can cast natively from within the browser. Very nice. Lots of sites have embedded it too such as BBC iplayer.

cheers

Mark

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I only use my Chromecast to stream films from my laptop to my TV. Probably no good reason to repalce your Apple TV with one as the Chromecast was only designed as a cheap way to stream flims and music from your Android phone, tablet or laptop using the Google browser to your TV.

daveh75

MrReaper182 said:
the Chromecast was only designed as a cheap way to stream flims and music from your Android phone, tablet or laptop using the Google browser to your TV.

Not really.

It was designed primarily as a means to stream from the net, with the phone, tablet etc acting as a remote/interface to the Chromecast

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
MrReaper182 said:
the Chromecast was only designed as a cheap way to stream flims and music from your Android phone, tablet or laptop using the Google browser to your TV.

Not really.

It was designed primarily as a means to stream from the net, with the phone, tablet etc acting as a remote/interface to the Chromecast

Most people are only going to use it to stream films, music and tv catchup sites like the BBC iplayer to their TV's and Google know this. I know a few people with one and all they use it for is steaming video. Most people don't want the internet on their TV's. If they did home theater PC's would be a lot more popular as would of Google's TV.

EnjoyingTheMusic

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
The new Chromecast Audio is only for audio and a separate device to the Chromecast used for video. The Chromecase Audio streams not just to TV but to anything audio playback source you want to use - so very flexible.

The audio one is fantastic - high definition and multi room support, wifi streaming so no reduction in sound quality or audio drop outs via Bluetooth. We already have two and are likely to get more around the house and office.

It's far more than just for use on phones - we use it with phone, laptops, main computer, tablets - anything internet connected that can stream audio from our home and various family member clouds, Spotify and so on.

davidlu

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I found the quality acceptable. I can obtain the same with the chromecast for tv but didnt want the tv on while listening to audio. Are you saying that you can have all rooms with a googlecast connected to speakers, on at the same time, or does one googlecast have to be disconnected in order to cast audio to a different room ?

I understand that i have to call up the googlecast logo to cast using the google browser but unlike ANDROID i cannot play my stored audio files or have i missed something ?

EnjoyingTheMusic

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Chromecast and Chromecast Audio are two different things. As far as I know the Audio version is the only one that supports hi-def audio and multi-room. The Audio version has no need or connection to a TV.

The audio device can cast to one or many sources on the same wi-fi network concurrently by a simple toggle within the app. The audio can therefore easily follow you as you move around your home.

You can play anything through Chromecast as you can cast anything from within the core little app not just through such as Google Music or BBC radio player. For example I have stored files on a network drive that I can access and cast through laptops, tablets or phones anywhere in the house and gardens through the app.

It's worth investigating Chromecast Audio as a completely separate proposition to the original Chromecast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts