Cheap filler for speaker stands?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently purchased second hand Atacama SE20 speaker stands.

They cost me £20 - and I then spent another £11 having the top spikes delivered direct from Atacama

Although I am only running a small all-in-one system - I still believe I might be able to squeeze a little more out of it by filling my speaker stands and making them heavier.

Can anyone suggest how I could fill them cheaply (preferably for under £10)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If i remember rightly the holes on the SE20's are a fair size to put filler in so as above I'd us kiln sand or (if you can find it lying around... ahem) lead flashing!

My Dad had some in his garage for ages (we used it to make lead weights for sea fishing) but there was 30kg never used so I took some of it and put it through an old meat grinder at its biggest/roughest setting and it was ideal!

A

Anonymous

Do I need a liner bag or something for the stands - or should they hold the sand without slowly pouring it onto my nice new carpet?

A

Anonymous

It depends.

It should be alright but my partington stands are slowly leaking the kiln dried sand. I recon about 10 grams a week approx.

I never heard it happening to anyone else though!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TBH I wouldnt even bother filling the Partington stands; they're heavy enough as they are

The SE20/24 stands are hollow so benefit from being filled; about 4.5kg for each stand worked out the best for me when using B&W 602 S2 speakers

A

Anonymous

so there is a premium weight for a speaker stand?

I was just going to fill them to the top. Is this a stupid idea?

idc

It is not a silly idea at all. I had Atacama stands that I filled and I felt there was an improvement in the bass extension in particular. Mine came with long thin plastic bags to put the sand in. I would certainly not use cat litter as it will slowly absorbe moisture. I have read a report of an Apollo stand rusting from the inside because of moisture absortion. I filled mine to about 2/3rds full.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I was told to try and find some Clay Kitty litter if I could by someone in the Know, unfortunately the pet shop near me had none so I reverted to the spare children's play sand I had in the garage, bright orange it is, wont miss that if it leaks luckily the RS300's have not dropped a grain yet. Play sand can be found cheap at the garden centre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts