cd v dac + streamer/nas

mjames85

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
hi,

i'm looking at a hifi upgrade and am leaning towards a dac+streamer combi (though this nas looks like it may act as a streamer, i'm trying to find out if it will do an async digital output to a dac) and am wondering how the quality would compare, in theory the bits coming out of a nas/streamer will be perfect so it should be at least equal to cd (assuming equivalent dac) if anyone's compared both in practice I'd love to know your opinion. (i'm eyeing up the cyrus streamers v the new cdi.)

cheers,

mark

lilneige

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I will take the convience of playing digital file library any given day. I can play hundreds or thousands albums without get out of my sofa as compare to changing CDs with CDP. Even that means I will sacrifice SQ a little. However, I do like the SQ from my computer+DAC.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
lilneige said:
I will take the convience of playing digital file library any given day. I can play hundreds or thousands albums without get out of my sofa as compare to changing CDs with CDP. Even that means I will sacrifice SQ a little. However, I do like the SQ from my computer+DAC.

I rip my CDs to my NAS drive in lossless FLAC format and there is no loss in sound quality in my opinion. Although it might just be that small that I cant hear it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

I rip my CDs to my NAS drive in lossless FLAC format and there is no loss in sound quality in my opinion. Although it might just be that small that I cant hear it.

If you do this correctly there should be no loss in sound quality at all.

In fact, there is a distinct possibility that the rips will sound better.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

when you say do it properly, please explain. I use DB Poweramp

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

Just make sure the settings are correct and that you do a 'checksum' calculation to ensure accuracy. As a mac user I have never used DB Poweramp but it has a fine reputation and I am sure that a little research will confirm that you have the correct settings.

The big advantage in ripping is that your CD mech can make multiple passes and extract the maximum amount of data, a regular CD transport gets just one pass to get it right, and sometimes does not.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

Just make sure the settings are correct and that you do a 'checksum' calculation to ensure accuracy. As a mac user I have never used DB Poweramp but it has a fine reputation and I am sure that a little research will confirm that you have the correct settings.

The big advantage in ripping is that your CD mech can make multiple passes and extract the maximum amount of data, a regular CD transport gets just one pass to get it right, and sometimes does not.

tThank you for taking the time to try and explain this to me. Unfortunately I have no idea what a checksum is. My dealer set the system up when I bought it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

tThank you for taking the time to try and explain this to me. Unfortunately I have no idea what a checksum is. My dealer set the system up when I bought it.

When you rip a CD there are different levels of accuracy that can be implemented in the software, essentially trading accuracy for convenience.

You are rippling to Flac so I assume you want the best quality, you need to read up on DBPoweramp to find the best possible settings. They will be quite slow as the mech will be allowed to read the disc multiple times to get all the information.

The information will be configured as a Flac file, which can be analysed by the software and compared to a database to show that your file is identicle to those in the database. This is the 'checksum' and is your guarantee that your rips are 100% accurate.

All of this is automatic once you have made the correct settings, it just takes a little longer.

You can discuss this with your dealer, simply explain that you want the best possible rips or alternative do your own research online, I'm sure there is an effective support community for DBPoweramp users.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

When you rip a CD there are different levels of accuracy that can be implemented in the software, essentially trading accuracy for convenience.

You are rippling to Flac so I assume you want the best quality, you need to read up on DBPoweramp to find the best possible settings. They will be quite slow as the mech will be allowed to read the disc multiple times to get all the information.

The information will be configured as a Flac file, which can be analysed by the software and compared to a database to show that your file is identicle to those in the database. This is the 'checksum' and is your guarantee that your rips are 100% accurate.

All of this is automatic once you have made the correct settings, it just takes a little longer.

You can discuss this with your dealer, simply explain that you want the best possible rips or alternative do your own research online, I'm sure there is an effective support community for DBPoweramp users.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me .

I assumed the dealer did this at purchase 2 years ago as I was very reluctant to go with a streaming system as wanted CD quality.

They come to my house to set it all up. DB poweramp uses something called Accurip and it shows how many rips there have been of the particular CD. I seem to recall him saying that it checks to make sure the most accurate rip is being done. It takes in between 4 and 15 mins to rip each CD.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
davedotco said:
As a mac user I have never used DB Poweramp ...

What do you use Dave?

I used to use XLD, but I no longer rip CDs other than for use in the gym, itunes vbr is fine for my 'clip on' Nano.

All my home listening these days is via Spotify. I have an access problem, I am in west London, my CD collection is in Andalucia.

In any case, given my peculiar listening habits I doubt I will buy any more CDs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
davedotco said:
Womaz said:
lilneige said:

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me .

I assumed the dealer did this at purchase 2 years ago as I was very reluctant to go with a streaming system as wanted CD quality.

They come to my house to set it all up. DB poweramp uses something called Accurip and it shows how many rips there have been of the particular CD. I seem to recall him saying that it checks to make sure the most accurate rip is being done. It takes in between 4 and 15 mins to rip each CD.

It sounds like your dealer has done a good job, the checksum is being done by Accurip, you seem to be in good shape....... :cheers:

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
davedotco said:
ifor said:
davedotco said:
As a mac user I have never used DB Poweramp ...

What do you use Dave?

I used to use XLD, but I no longer rip CDs ...

Thanks Dave. I've used Rip in the past, but it feels like a work in progress and hasn't been updated for years. I downloaded XLD and on launch was notified of an update; encouraging. I've now ripped my first CD using XLD.

TRENDING THREADS