I have recently upgraded my speakers and thought I would try and do them justice by getting back into playing CD's rather than streaming everything though my PC. I keep reading CD quality is better after all.

My old Marantz CD63 dies a while ago, in fact I wasn't impressed that it had died when it did as it wasn't that old at the time.

I'm therefore not going down the Marantz route again and have a short list of two.

Yamaha CD-S300 £150 or

Cambridge Audio Azur 351C £150

Now if I go byWhat HI FI reviews alone the answer would be the Cambridge Audio as they gave it 5 Stars. However, I have a Yamaha amp and Yamaha sub and they are excellent. The Yamaha CD player would certainly look neater sat alonside them than the Cambridge Audio. The Yamaha also has the bonus of having a USB port allowing interface with other devices, the Cambridge Audio does not offer this. Yamaha kit is from experience built superbly.

Does anyone have any experience of either units? Richer Sounds have the Cambridge udio in stock for a trial and Audio Affair have the Yamaha so I can't do a direct shop comparison. Am I really going to notice much difference in sound between the two? I'm no classically trained musician and have worked in noisy environments with loud machines for years so my hearing is probably less than perfect anyway.

My amp is Yamaha DSP-AX620, Sub is Yamaha YST-FSW050 & speakers are Tannoy DC4T.

Thanks, Chris :)

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
C Healy said:
I have recently upgraded my speakers and thought I would try and do them justice by getting back into playing CD's rather than streaming everything though my PC. I keep reading CD quality is better after all.

My old Marantz CD63 dies a while ago, in fact I wasn't impressed that it had died when it did as it wasn't that old at the time.

I'm therefore not going down the Marantz route again and have a short list of two.

Yamaha CD-S300 £150 or

Cambridge Audio Azur 351C £150

Now if I go byWhat HI FI reviews alone the answer would be the Cambridge Audio as they gave it 5 Stars. However, I have a Yamaha amp and Yamaha sub and they are excellent. The Yamaha CD player would certainly look neater sat alonside them than the Cambridge Audio. The Yamaha also has the bonus of having a USB port allowing interface with other devices, the Cambridge Audio does not offer this. Yamaha kit is from experience built superbly.

Does anyone have any experience of either units? Richer Sounds have the Cambridge udio in stock for a trial and Audio Affair have the Yamaha so I can't do a direct shop comparison. Am I really going to notice much difference in sound between the two? I'm no classically trained musician and have worked in noisy environments with loud machines for years so my hearing is probably less than perfect anyway.

My amp is Yamaha DSP-AX620, Sub is Yamaha YST-FSW050 & speakers are Tannoy DC4T.

Thanks, Chris :)

I had a cambridge topaz cd player till a few months ago: I liked the "bite" it gave compared to the marantz I had previously, particularly in situations like crescendos in orchestral music. However the loading mechanism was noisy and cds took an age to load.

I went to Richer Sounds and they felt that the Yamaha s300 was the best to buy to give a similar sound signature to the topaz, and a good match in this respect for my Marantz pm6002 amp. I feel it is a good buy, I like the sound, the mechanism is silent and it loads quickly, so at £150 it is very good.

I haven't heard the Cambridge 351 but it has had very good reviews and the offer at £150 is £100 down on it's initial pricing. I believe it it has a different and better loading mechanism than the topaz.

I suspect either would be good buys. I'm surprised that your local store doesn't have a cs300 in stock, they are still available generally at RS stores.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I listened to the 351c for an hour or two, and it is very good. Like very! There was more detail in the 651 but I was really torn between the two, as they sounded tonally identical. It is a very different sound to its predecessor the 340c. It has a much more natural sound, outstanding bass retrieval, and detail. It really is a fantastic player.

I have not heard the Yamaha though.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
C Healy said:

IME streaming CD-quality rips sounds just as good as playing CDs. I love CDs and buy several every month, but I'd rather stream them than use a CD player. Each to his own, I guess.

iMark

matt49 said:
IME streaming CD-quality rips sounds just as good as playing CDs. I love CDs and buy several every month, but I'd rather stream them than use a CD player. Each to his own, I guess.

Well ripped CDs actually should sound better than CDs because a ripped file has been error corrected. A computer can take much more time for perfect error correction than a CD player that has to do the correction in real time.

All our CDs are ripped to Apple Lossless files that we stream through an Airport Express to a DAC. Sounds better than any CD player I have ever connected to the stereo.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
C Healy said:

You have been mislead, or you have misinterpretted what you have read. Playing a CD will never sound any better than a streamed lossless rip of the same. It cannot, which is obvious when you stop and think about it. It can only sound as good, or worse. My advice is stick with your streaming. If you feel the sound is lacking, buy a good asynchronous USB DAC for your laptop or invest in a digital amp. Both will supply you with a short-term burst of Gear Aquisition Euphoria, like a new CD player, but additionally they will potentially benefit your existing downloads and rips.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I too own a Yamaha ax-620...... :-D

Buy the player with the best connectivity and use the digital coax input on the amp to connect the player.

I have a player which was £500+ when bought new and the dac in the ax-620 when connected by coax sounds better than the analog connection.

I'd say go with the Yamaha player for the connectivity.

What speakers are you using if you don't mind me asking?

rainsoothe

MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

You have been mislead, or you have misinterpretted what you have read. Playing a CD will never sound any better than a streamed lossless rip of the same. It cannot, which is obvious when you stop and think about it. It can only sound as good, or worse. My advice is stick with your streaming. If you feel the sound is lacking, buy a good asynchronous USB DAC for your laptop or invest in a digital amp. Both will supply you with a short-term burst of Gear Aquisition Euphoria, like a new CD player, but additionally they will potentially benefit your existing downloads and rips.

+1 to this. An amp + DAC will give you much improved benefit. At 87db sensitivity, the DC4T need some power, I think you should look at stuff like NAD C356BEE, Roksan Kandy K2 and maybe Arcam FMJ A19 for amplifier - if you can find any second hand ones or good offers on them to make them fit your budget - and take it from there. The amp and DAC are the week links in your system imo (as far as music is concerned), and any of the 3 I suggested above (especially the NAD and the ROKSAN) would make good improvements. Mind you the NAD can be had with a DAC upgrade, but if you find another amp or decide to get just a dac atm, you could consider Micromega Mydac - or plan that for a future upgrade and get an amp for now and Behringer UCA202 for USB DAC duty.

EDIT: or, if you wanna get the "putting the CD in the tray" hands on experience, you could look at stuff like Onkyo C-N7050 - which is a CDplayer and streamer - to stream the stuff you already have ripped in your PC or from whatever you connect to the home network.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh your speakers are mentioned it's in your opening post......

I had the same system.....

Funnily my initial set up consisted of the Marantz cd63 too which started getting an intermittent 'reading issue'.....still have it.

Bought a NAD player which sounds better.

And CD's do sound better.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

You have been mislead, or you have misinterpretted what you have read. Playing a CD will never sound any better than a streamed lossless rip of the same. It cannot, which is obvious when you stop and think about it. It can only sound as good, or worse. My advice is stick with your streaming. If you feel the sound is lacking, buy a good asynchronous USB DAC for your laptop or invest in a digital amp. Both will supply you with a short-term burst of Gear Aquisition Euphoria, like a new CD player, but additionally they will potentially benefit your existing downloads and rips.

+1 to this. An amp + DAC will give you much improved benefit. At 87db sensitivity, the DC4T need some power, I think you should look at stuff like NAD C356BEE, Roksan Kandy K2 and maybe Arcam FMJ A19 for amplifier - if you can find any second hand ones or good offers on them to make them fit your budget - and take it from there. The amp and DAC are the week links in your system imo (as far as music is concerned), and any of the 3 I suggested above (especially the NAD and the ROKSAN) would make good improvements. Mind you the NAD can be had with a DAC upgrade, but if you find another amp or decide to get just a dac atm, you could consider Micromega Mydac - or plan that for a future upgrade and get an amp for now and Behringer UCA202 for USB DAC duty.

?

EDIT: or, if you wanna get the "putting the CD in the tray" hands on experience, you could look at stuff like Onkyo C-N7050 - which is a CDplayer and streamer - to stream the stuff you already have ripped in your PC or from whatever you connect to the home network.

No, I have to stop you there Mr Rainsooth.

I own the same amp he has it will perform aswell if not better than the amps you state.

I did comparisons not so long ago with amps in the price bracket you're suggesting.

My speakers are 89db@6ohm

It already has a built in DAC with adequate power and headroom.

And would surprise, no....shock, many with its performance.

Just saying.

rainsoothe

Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

I own the same amp he has it will perform aswell if not better than the amps you state.

I did comparisons not so long ago with amps in the price bracket you're suggesting.

Just saying.

lol why stop me? I'm merely suggesting he tries them - as in auditioning. Maybe he'll find that Yamaha amps sound wimpy with wooly disorganised bass like I do. Just because YOU like it, it doesn't mean it PERFORMS better, it's a subjective matter. Also, I seriously think upgrading the amp will make an improvement, playing CD's instead of streaming FLAC will defenately not.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
So your Marantz 63 stpped after 15, 20 years? and you expect a modern cdp to last a long time. My 63SE is still going, modern cdps are not built to last, many fail within a few years. Streaming should be as good as a cdp, in fact there are arguements its better. Out of those 2 I would go for the Yam.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

You have been mislead, or you have misinterpretted what you have read. Playing a CD will never sound any better than a streamed lossless rip of the same. It cannot, which is obvious when you stop and think about it. It can only sound as good, or worse. My advice is stick with your streaming. If you feel the sound is lacking, buy a good asynchronous USB DAC for your laptop or invest in a digital amp. Both will supply you with a short-term burst of Gear Aquisition Euphoria, like a new CD player, but additionally they will potentially benefit your existing downloads and rips.

?

Just saying.

lol why stop me? I'm merely suggesting he tries them - as in auditioning. Maybe he'll find that Yamaha amps sound wimpy with wooly disorganised bass like I do. Just because YOU like it, it doesn't mean it PERFORMS better, it's a subjective matter. Also, I seriously think upgrading the amp will make an improvement, playing CD's instead of streaming FLAC will defenately not.

Lol......

You did not stop..... :sorry:

Google it - it's a bit of a legend, you'll find reviews on it.

John Duncan from this forum had one too.

But it makes no sense trying to convince you especially since I cannot give you a demo.

That said streaming is a con - CD or vinyl is an honest medium.

Why buy into something that's charging you a premium for what should come as standard?

And CD does sound better to match it you have spend a fair bit on your software and devices.

Phones, tablets, laptops sound rubbish by comparison.

I tell you the Bristol show was an eye opener .

But enough of this derailment......

rainsoothe

Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

Just saying.

Why buy into something that's charging you a premium for what should come as standard?

And CD does sound better to match it you have spend a fair bit on your software and device.

What? I wasn't talking about streaming from qobuz/spotify/whatever stuff, I meant streaming his already ripped CDs or music - as in streaming from your home network, which would mean saving money instead of spending it on CDs of music that he already has.

Also, you seem not to understand what a DAC is and does: there is one in every CD player, it converts the digital information on the CD to analogue signal - there is zero similarity to vinyl, except the fact that both mediums are round and they spin. Eliminating the mechanical part can ONLY improve the sound quality. As for pricing, you can find free software that does everything you need, or pay a small amount for better designed software that does way more then a simple remote, and that means ripping CDs, organising your library, playing your music from your sofa instead of having to insert discs etc etc. And the device - DACs cost money, and so do CD players, so I can't quite follow.

Anyway, I'm gonna state it again - let the guy audition, and decide for himself. I don't think "eye opener" was what the Bristol show really was, but it's good for you that you think that's the case.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
They are obviously not going to sound any different to lossless rips of the same, streamed from a NAS, which is the context we were on about, not lossy internet-based subscription services. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fundamentally wrong and just doesn't understand the principles of digital audio.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
Thompsonuxb said:
rainsoothe said:
MajorFubar said:
C Healy said:

?

Just saying.

?

And CD does sound better to match it you have spend a fair bit on your software and device.

?

What? I wasn't talking about streaming from qobuz/spotify/whatever stuff, I meant streaming his already ripped CDs or music - as in streaming from your home network, which would mean saving money instead of spending it on CDs of music that he already has.

Also, you seem not to understand what a DAC is and does: there is one in every CD player, it converts the digital information on the CD to analogue signal - there is zero similarity to vinyl, except the fact that both mediums are round and they spin. Eliminating the mechanical part can ONLY improve the sound quality. As for pricing, you can find free software that does everything you need, or pay a small amount for better designed software that does way more then a simple remote, and that means ripping CDs, organising your library, playing your music from your sofa instead of having to insert discs etc etc. And the device - DACs cost money, and so do CD players, so I can't quite follow.

Anyway, I'm gonna state it again - let the guy audition, and decide for himself. I don't think "eye opener" was what the Bristol show really was, but it's good for you that you think that's the case.

Oh, you want to argue....ok.

You are talking about rips from CD's he already owns?

Lol.....Ok, so why do you see an issue with just buying a decent cdplayer?

Cut out the faff. Man just turns on and play.

I mentioned the online services simply because they're a con. Yet are all the rage these days. Buy your CD's and just put them in your player.

Regards the DAC in the ax-620 it's a good one - the suggestion is use the cdplayer as a transport is all.

The point ref vinyl - at the Bristol show most of the big boys used soft medium.

Generally speaking most of the demos sounded woeful PMC, Spendor to name 2 - the best demos used vinyl and sounded far superior, it was a sound quality thing is all.

Has for organising blah blah blah.....prrrrft.

To the OP I'd say audition kit by all means.

But he has a quality amp, I know how good it is and his set would benefit from a quality deck.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
r

They are obviously not going to sound any different to lossless rips of the same, streamed from a NAS, which is the context we were on about, not lossy internet-based subscription services. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fundamentally wrong and just doesn't understand the principles of digital audio. 

We could quibble but you are talking a copy v the orginal.

The CD on a quality player won't sound worse than the rip that's for sure.

If we are not talking about 'soft' services I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about...... :-D

iMark

Thompsonuxb said:

If we are not talking about 'soft' services I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about...... :-D

You really don't seem to understand the principles of digital audio. You can make bit perfect copies of CDs. You can even make better copies from CD rips if the original CD has some damage. The error correction used while ripping a CD will extract the bits from the CD that might not be read properly by a CD player.

Then there is the matter of compressing. Basically there are lossless (which means LOSSLESS) and lossy codecs. A lossless file (FLAC or ALAC) is like a zip file for a word document. The computer compresses the file for storage and decompresses it to the same file it was before compressing. This has been tried and tested. A losslessly compressed CD will sound the same as the original CD. Lossy codecs (like mp3, AAC and Ogg Vorbis) will sound worse than the original CD.

I have come to the conclusion that investing in an expensive and esoteric CD player is a complete waste of money. I would invest in a decent stand alone DAC. I would play CDs in a bluray player connected to the DAC or rip all CDs in a lossless format and stream them to the DAC.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Get the old analogue notion out of your head that a copy is worse than the original. It's not applicable in the digital world.

To try and get through to you why it's not applicable, imagine writing down the numbers "1,2,3,4,5,6" on a piece of paper, handing it to someone else and getting them to copy your numbers to a different piece of paper. Then get them to pass their paper to another person, who copies it to a third piece of paper, passes his copy on to someone else, and so on, until there are 1,000 copies, with each piece of paper serially copied from the previous one. Discounting human error and one of the pieces of paper being misred because of poor handwriting, the 1,000th piece of paper will still say "1,2,3,4,5,6" on it. It will be an exact digital copy of your original, 1,000 generations old. That's the premise behind digital copying.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
C Healy said:
The three amps you listed are all stereo amps. Mine is an av receiver for good reason, I want it to run rear and centre speakers as well for when I watch tv/movies. But thanks anyway.

Do you have a DVD or blu-ray player?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts