CD player pricing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having finally come to terms with the fact that small rooms, laminate flooring and neighbours close by are a recipe for disaster where hi-fi is concerned, I've converted to a dedicated headphone-based system. My new Graham Slee Novo and Sennheiser HD650s are running in nicely, and I've been looking at possible replacements for my venerable 1993-vintage CD player (a Sony CDP-797).

A little online research has narrowed the list to the Marantz CD6002 and SA7003, and the two new NADs (C545BEE and C565BEE). I really want to listen to them back to back if possible, but I'm getting some wildly conflicting pricing information. I knew that the 6002 had gone up to £320, but according to the shop I've contacted - the only place local to me which stocks both Marantz and NAD - the C545BEE is £400 (£350 according to WHF) and the SA7003 is now £600! (£450 according to WHF). The C565BEE is quoted at £600 which seems to tally.

I've seen all of these players advertised for at least £100 less in various places. Can someone tell me, definitively, the current list prices of each of these players?

A

Anonymous

You have a fantastic headphone amp and cans so to be honest if it were me I'd be looking at a CD player at least one up from that price band - maybe a Cyrus 6SE or Naim CD5i to give them a fair match

A

Anonymous

Pricing info on the Marantz is here:

http://whathifi.com/News/Marantz-raises-prices-but-discounts-remain-online/

"Definitively", the price is the lowest you can get. Go and listen at your local dealer, and once you've decided what you want, ask him to do you a "deal". If he wants your business, he'll give you a competitive price - not necessarily the absolute lowest, but competitive. Otherwise, buy it off the internet.

(NB I am not advocating demoing at a dealer when you have no intention of buying there - just that dealers should be doing just that... doing a deal if other people are offering much lower prices)

matthewpiano

Except you won't be able to buy Marantz from an authorised dealer on the internet because Marantz don't allow their hi-fi products to be sold in this way. You have to be careful with NAD as well. Although they do allow internet sales, there are some retailers selling online who are not authorised UK dealers and NAD make it very clear that if you buy from one of these your warranty is not valid.

A

Anonymous

All the more reason to buy second hand then it seems :) especially if there is no dealer anywhere near your location of course.

A

Anonymous

andy444:You have a fantastic headphone amp and cans so to be honest if it were me I'd be looking at a CD player at least one up from that price band - maybe a Cyrus 6SE or Naim CD5i to give them a fair match

I'll let my ears decide, but don't really want to spend much more than £500 - seems to me that it's all a bit 'law of diminishing returns' beyond that point. Also I might need to factor in an interconnect upgrade - no doubt my 2001-vintage Ecosse CA-1s can now be improved upon - which could easily push my total spend beyond £700 if I went for the C565BEE.

I don't want to waste a dealer's time then buy online either, so will probably do as suggested - demo, then push for a decent deal.

matthewpiano

Cambridge Audio 740C. An excellent CD player which will also provide you with superb DAC capabilities should you need them for internet radio or lossless files in the future.

Alternatively I'd be looking at a Rega Apollo. Probably the best CD player under £1k to be honest.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:Except you won't be able to buy Marantz from an authorised dealer on the internet because Marantz don't allow their hi-fi products to be sold in this way. You have to be careful with NAD as well. Although they do allow internet sales, there are some retailers selling online who are not authorised UK dealers and NAD make it very clear that if you buy from one of these your warranty is not valid.

I've always wondered how these "unauthorized" seller get all their product? The ebay guys always have some song and dance about "liquidating" a out of business retailer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts