Castle Severn Speaker Distortion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've always liked the sound of Castle 'speakers, refined, detailed etc. There are a pair of Severn's for sale, where the present owner states that the mid/bass units need replacing due to "not sounding right" On further investigation to be more specific, he describes the sound as distortion at higher volumes, particularly with heavy bass lines.

I've made a few inquiries as to replacement drivers, though more detail is needed to identify a replacement.

Do you feel however, that this could be the amp "clipping" rather than a problem with the 'speaker itself?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
maybe ask him what he is using to drive them it could be to weak and he is over driving them or to powerful - also ask him how loud we are talking and whether he has altered tone controls ect

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Severn 2 SE were my 2nd pair of proper speakers, I used them with old Exposure amp, Musical Fidelity A3cr and X-A1, Linn Magik . They do go quite loud but have limit (like most speakers!) I found Exposure do work wonder for entertainment value. My brother still keep the very pair and he run them with Primare, sound lovely without any distortion that you mentioned!

A

Anonymous

Not so sure about this one. The chap that's selling the speakers states that the amp he's using is a Magnum lA150 (haven't heard of it) putting out 75 wpc into 8 ohms.

I've done a little more research & it looks as though the failure of the mid/bass unit is fairly common, due to the hard plastics used in the construction. Though as you say Thaiman, they seem to have been reliable in your experience & are still a quality speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts