Car Stereo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:JoelSim:Erm and the main thing...

the economy and lack of loans available peut-etre?

If you want a motor then now is the time to buy

Peut-etre - but then you'd expect to be the same level of discounting on everything.

Maybe it's just that the Mazda dealers are being upfront about the deals, but I've found some dealers for other brands refusing to - ummm - deal. One even quoted the falling value of the pound and the strength of the yen as reasons for not being able to drop prices any more.

That was on an 08 demonstrator of a discontinued model with about 1000 miles on the clock which it's been advertising for at least six months.

Most manufacturers have fields full of cars waiting to be sold and are closing plants down temporarily. A guy I work with has been offered a brand new car by a dealer for £21k. List price £36k.

John Duncan

JoelSim:Andrew Everard:JoelSim:Erm and the main thing...

the economy and lack of loans available peut-etre?

If you want a motor then now is the time to buy

Peut-etre - but then you'd expect to be the same level of discounting on everything.

Maybe it's just that the Mazda dealers are being upfront about the deals, but I've found some dealers for other brands refusing to - ummm - deal. One even quoted the falling value of the pound and the strength of the yen as reasons for not being able to drop prices any more.

That was on an 08 demonstrator of a discontinued model with about 1000 miles on the clock which it's been advertising for at least six months.

Most manufacturers have fields full of cars waiting to be sold and are closing plants down temporarily. A guy I work with has been offered a brand new car by a dealer for £21k. List price £36k.

So here's a question, seeing as I really do need a new car, and quickly.....new or used?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:So here's a question, seeing as I really do need a new car, and quickly.....new or used?

Yes, I reckon something already registered so it's already cost the dealer money, and which he/she might be a bit keen to shift to get some cashflow going, could be a sound buy. It's what I'm working on...

Sounds like a job for the What Car? buying help service on Monday morning to me - you could find yourself appearing in the magazine before you know it...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:So here's a question, seeing as I really do need a new car, and quickly.....new or used?

Yes, I reckon something already registered so it's already cost the dealer money, and which he/she might be a bit keen to shift to get some cashflow going, could be a sound buy. It's what I'm working on...

Sounds like a job for the What Car? buying help service on Monday morning to me - you could find yourself appearing in the magazine before you know it...

Ha. Talking of which, can I win a competition before I become an employee please?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ha. Talking of which, can I win a competition before I become an employee please?

The What Car? thing was actually a serious suggestion. I think you'd fit the profile of their monthly buying feature pretty well.

JohnDuncan:Talking of which, can I win a competition before I become an employee please?

What, when you already won the greatest prize of life, a job at Haymarket? Just make sure you turn up this time...
emotion-4.gif

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:The What Car? thing was actually a serious suggestion. I think you'd fit the profile of their monthly buying feature pretty well.

"Travel budget = £0"?

But yes, I shall investigate as I have so many options I'm confused.

Andrew Everard:Just make sure you turn up this time...
emotion-4.gif

Hey, I've been there four times already - just 'cos you weren't in......
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

RodhasGibson:Hey Andrew, did Haymarket get JD on the cheap
emotion-5.gif
Can"t wait to hear the job title, btw John best of luck in advance too mate.

Thanks Rod - the job title is officially "Development Manager"*...

(*"Arrested" is tacit, presumably).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:RodhasGibson:Hey Andrew, did Haymarket get JD on the cheap
emotion-5.gif

Thanks Rod - the job title is officially "Development Manager"*...

(*"Arrested" is tacit, presumably).

We'll have to start calling you Mr Wendell now then?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Travel budget. Amount of money the editorial team would have to spend to visit said "reader". "Oooo he's just downstairs....."

Ah, I see! I thought you were citing it as a stumbling block, but in fact it was a benefit.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
emotion-5.gif

Knowing JD as I do from these forums, I very much doubt it. But then knowing Haymarket as I do after almost 27 years here, I bet they had a damn good try...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
emotion-5.gif

Knowing JD as I do from these forums, I very much doubt it. But then knowing Haymarket as I do after almost 27 years here, I bet they had a damn good try...

There was arm wrestling.

John Duncan

RodhasGibson:Nice one, What motors are on your shortlist Saab? plus ? I think ex demo/ pre reg is the way to go. Is for me anyway. Happy hunting.

No Saab. We've agreed that we must have a seven-seater, but I want one that looks and acts at least a bit like a car. My wife wants a Galaxy. You can see the disconnect......

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson:Nice one, What motors are on your shortlist Saab?

As much as I like my Saab, if I'd known in January what I know now I might have tried to get a deal on a new Insignia instead (the dealer was Vauxhall/Saab). Got no confidence that they'll be around long enough to see out my warranty!

Plus the radio's rubbish...

John Duncan

the_lhc:
RodhasGibson:Nice one, What motors are on your shortlist Saab?

As much as I like my Saab, if I'd known in January what I know now I might have tried to get a deal on a new Insignia instead (the dealer was Vauxhall/Saab). Got no confidence that they'll be around long enough to see out my warranty!

Plus the radio's rubbish...

I thought the Insignia was nice until i saw it from behind.......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
No Saab. We've agreed that we must have a seven-seater, but I want one that looks and acts at least a bit like a car. My wife wants a Galaxy. You can see the disconnect......

What, like this, but a bit less ugly?

Stumbled across quite a few of these in seven-seat version at cheapy prices while trawling the search sites.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:

What, like this, but a bit less ugly?

Stumbled across quite a few of these in seven-seat version at cheapy prices while trawling the search sites.

Is that the Subaru? That doesn't look that bad actually (though I'm sure I saw one in the street the other day and went 'ew'. Though it's better than the sssssssaaaaannnnyyyyoooonnnnggggg thingie.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the ludicrously named B9 Tribeca .

£20K brand new - just the £10 large off, then - or £16K or so a couple of years old. Was almost tempted, but much too big for my needs. Need something able to haul floorstanders, and would like 4WD as I like the way they handle, so still hunting...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts