Car Stereo?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Looked it up, saw the rear, realised why I went 'ew'........

Indeed. Comedy nose and moustache front, and Megane-challenging rear.

That CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:the_lhc: As much as I like my Saab, if I'd known in January what I know now I might have tried to get a deal on a new Insignia instead (the dealer was Vauxhall/Saab). Got no confidence that they'll be around long enough to see out my warranty!

Plus the radio's rubbish...

I thought the Insignia was nice until i saw it from behind.......

The saloon's a much more coherent design at the back than the hatch. I think the estate is probably the best looking of the lot.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:
No Saab. We've agreed that we must have a seven-seater, but I want one that looks and acts at least a bit like a car. My wife wants a Galaxy. You can see the disconnect......

What, like this, but a bit less ugly?

Stumbled across quite a few of these in seven-seat version at cheapy prices while trawling the search sites.

OMG - My eyes! My EYES!
:)

Looks like some kind of open mouth with moustache....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I said a couple of posts above.
emotion-4.gif

idc

Andrew Everard:idc:

This young fellow has got it just about spot on with his car stereo..................................

AGAINST: Coffins no longer fit

Well maybe, but then again.....................................

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:Well maybe, but then again.....................................
Ah yes - but those are nanocoffins...

(Thinks: Tsssk - what will those wacky in-car boys come up with next?)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:idc:Well maybe, but then again.....................................
Ah yes - but those are nanocoffins...

(Thinks: Tsssk - what will those wacky in-car boys come up with next?)

Symbolically the death of your ears?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:idc:This young fellow has got it just about spot on with his car stereo..................................
AGAINST: Coffins no longer fit

sub/Coffins/Golf Clubs more to the point.

A

Anonymous

idc:
This young fellow has got it just about spot on with his car stereo..................................

basics+of+car+audio.jpg

oooh, JL Audio - very nice kit. Good SQ if a little shrill, oh and pricey (£300+ for a pair of decent 6.5" components).

I had Focal components in one of my installs and they were great. One of the few car/hifi crossover companies. I've also used infinity (HK) then of course there's JBL (also HK), Dynaudio and maybe more......

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:idc:

basics+of+car+audio.jpg

oooh, JL Audio - very nice kit. Good SQ if a little shrill, oh and pricey (£300+ for a pair of decent 6.5" components).

I had Focal components in one of my installs and they were great. One of the few car/hifi crossover companies. I've also used infinity (HK) then of course there's JBL (also HK), Dynaudio and maybe more......

I have JL Audio 5x7 2 way Co-axs in all 4 doors of my car. I used to run Focals in my old car, probably the best in-car speakers I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot over the years).

When I first got into I.C.E, I used to use Infinity too (Kappas, back when they had green cones), but I kept blowing the tweeters, and when I blew my EMIT ribbon tweeters (£120 a pair excluding crossovers) I decided enough was enough, and swapped to Focal. Yes they were dearer, but they were much nicer and handled everything I threw at them without any complaints.

I gave my Focals to my brother as I wasn't intending to upgrade my I.C.E in this car, but the standard Ford speakers are pants, so bought the JLs......They're OK, but I wish I'd stuck with Focal!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:Looked it up, saw the rear, realised why I went 'ew'........

Indeed. Comedy nose and moustache front, and Megane-challenging rear.

That CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...

Be prepared to like it. I took one out yesterday and was really impressed by it. Only thing I was slightly let down by, was the turbo lag. The pull in 6th at 50/60mph isn't what I was expecting from a car with 260bhp and 280lbft torque. Other than that, it was a great drive. (I guess I'd just leave it in 5th on A roads, leaving 6th for motorways.)

My only other reservation is whether my drum kit will fit, but that's not gonna be any concern to you.

It's a lot of car for the money, and when you want to hustle along, it'll play ball. Nice and firm, but not jarring. Dunno if I'd pay nigh on £25k for one, but £16k seems like a bargain.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I have JL Audio 5x7 2 way Co-axs in all 4 doors of my car. I used to run Focals in my old car, probably the best in-car speakers I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot over the years).

When I first got into I.C.E, I used to use Infinity too (Kappas, back when they had green cones), but I kept blowing the tweeters, and when I blew my EMIT ribbon tweeters (£120 a pair excluding crossovers) I decided enough was enough, and swapped to Focal. Yes they were dearer, but they were much nicer and handled everything I threw at them without any complaints.

I gave my Focals to my brother as I wasn't intending to upgrade my I.C.E in this car, but the standard Ford speakers are pants, so bought the JLs......They're OK, but I wish I'd stuck with Focal!

Good taste, then.
I've had green Kappa's, white ones, lots of white "reference" but never any of the perfect series. WHat I love about in car "HiFi" ;P is that a really nice set of components comes with the biggest, brightest, showing off crossover you've ever seen! Why dont home audio manufacturers do the same? :)
Show it dont hide it!

So, I think i'll stick to Focal for in car in future - knew I was right to think they were excellent, that and the fact the utopia Be No7 are £3000 a pair!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Andrew Everard:ÿThat CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...ÿ
Be prepared to like it. I took one out yesterday and was really impressed by it. Only thing I was slightly let down by, was the turbo lag. The pull in 6th at 50/60mph isn't what I was expecting from a car with 260bhp and 280lbft torque.

That's peak torque though, which won't be available at low revs. Most 6-speed cars are only pulling about 1700rpm at 60, at 50 you'll be just about at idle, there aren't many engines that can handle that, and certainly no turbos. A twin-turbo perhaps or one of VWs TSi engines, which are turbo-charged and supercharged for the lower revs maybe, but most turbo-diesels cut the turbo in at about 1750-1800 rpm, petrol turbos slightly higher IME. What engine is it?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
Big Chris:Andrew Everard:ÿThat CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...ÿ
Be prepared to like it. I took one out yesterday and was really impressed by it. Only thing I was slightly let down by, was the turbo lag. The pull in 6th at 50/60mph isn't what I was expecting from a car with 260bhp and 280lbft torque.

That's peak torque though, which won't be available at low revs. Most 6-speed cars are only pulling about 1700rpm at 60, at 50 you'll be just about at idle, there aren't many engines that can handle that, and certainly no turbos. A twin-turbo perhaps or one of VWs TSi engines, which are turbo-charged and supercharged for the lower revs maybe, but most turbo-diesels cut the turbo in at about 1750-1800 rpm, petrol turbos slightly higher IME. What engine is it?

2.3 Direct injection petrol 4 banger. Don't know the actual designation for it. It's the same lump as in the Mazda 3 & 6 MPS models.

Only thing is I guess I've got used to my Wife's Fiat Stilo 1.9D Mjet 150. That thing has a 6 speed box and definitely pulls from low revs in top. I guess that's the advantage of a torquey diesel over a free-revving petrol, plus it probably weighs 3/400 lbs less than the CX-7.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Hmmm... tried one, not impressed, and the scary fuel consumption not too clever, either.

I thought the fuel consumption was OK, but then my Maverick runs at about 18mpg, so pretty much anything without a V8 is gonna be an improvement.

What didn't you like about it? I must admit i was just getting into it by the time we were returning to the dealership. About a 25 minute drive. Also I've heard the auto 4wd system works quite well.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just didn't quite get me as interested as I thought it would.

BTW, slight snip in my previous answer, so slightly amended your response accordingly to remove references. Apologies

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

BTW, slight snip in my previous answer, so slightly amended your response accordingly to remove references. Apologies

Hey, we're all visitors to your playground. You're the boss.

John Duncan

Big Chris:Andrew Everard:

Hey, we're all visitors to your playground. You're the boss.

(tick tock)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:the_lhc:Big Chris:Andrew Everard: That CX-7 mentioned earlier is getting ever more tempting...

2.3 Direct injection petrol 4 banger.

Interesting, I just looked it up on Parkers and their review of the CX-7 even states: "The car has good in-gear pulling power too but there can be a flat-spot in performance if you find yourself in too high a gear".

But it is a petrol so you usually have to stir the stick a bit more than you would with a diesel.

Don't know the actual designation for it. It's the same lump as in the
Mazda 3 & 6 MPS models.
Only thing is I guess I've got used to my Wife's Fiat Stilo 1.9D Mjet
150. That thing has a 6 speed box and definitely pulls from low revs in
top. I guess that's the advantage of a torquey diesel over a
free-revving petrol, plus it probably weighs 3/400 lbs less than the
CX-7.

I think that's the same engine as the GM/Saab/Alfa 1.9Td isn't it? I had that engine in my 57 Astra SRi company car and it absolutely flew. The 9-3's got it as well but it's a lot heavier, still quick though. Incidentally in 6th that's doing 2000 rpm at 70mph, so the turbo's only just started spinning, at 60mph the revs are so low the engine actually shudders from the effort, which the Astra never did, so it's either the weight or possibly the Astra was slightly lower geared than the Saab.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts