Captain Phillips and Gravity are rubbish!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
his dudeness said:
well just watched gravity in 3d and loved it,edge of the seat tension for most of the 90 min,really helped by the excellent score,and of coarse looks stunning,horses for courses.

I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks that it was 'edge of the seat' stuff - thought I might have been going crazy with all this negativity...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Don't agree that Blood Diamond is rubbish.

Don't agree Black Hawk Down was rubbish either. As for the "Batmams" ( :) ), obviously depends which ones, but I suspect gel meant the Nolan trilogy, in which case, disagree again.

Not seen either Kick-Ass film and, whilst I don't mind listening to Metallica every now and then, I'm not really interested in watching a rockumentary on them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
his dudeness said:
well just watched gravity in 3d and loved it,edge of the seat tension for most of the 90 min,really helped by the excellent score,and of coarse looks stunning,horses for courses.

I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks that it was 'edge of the seat' stuff - thought I might have been going crazy with all this negativity...

I don't agree with gel that it's rubbish, but it is overrated, and over-hyped, and as good as the 3D visuals were at the cinema, there has to be more to a good film than just good visuals.

IMHO, any decent director could produce as good a film as Gravity with a similar budget.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
BenLaw said:
Don't agree that Blood Diamond is rubbish.

Don't agree Black Hawk Down was rubbish either. As for the "Batmams" ( :) ), obviously depends which ones, but I suspect gel meant the Nolan trilogy, in which case, disagree again.

Not seen either Kick-Ass film and, whilst I don't mind listening to Metallica every now and then, I'm not really interested in watching a rockumentary on them.

I was only going for one! Not seen BHD. First Kickass was excellent, I suspect the second one probably is rubbish. I also like the Nolan Batman films. I'm not sure on what basis someone would think Blood Diamond was rubbish, I can only picture indifference at worst.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, I did mean Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. You can't beat them.

I was just expecting so much more from Gravity and Captain Phillips considering the hype but felt they failed to deliver! I am going to sell both now.

Paul.

I have to say, I was very disappointed in KickAss 2. I really enjoyed the first one, it was pretty dark but in a toung in cheek way, it was fun. The second one felt like a completely different movie, like someone had picked up the characters and dumped them somewhere else. It almost felt like fan fiction.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
I have to say, I was very disappointed in KickAss 2. I really enjoyed the first one, it was pretty dark but in a toung in cheek way, it was fun. The second one felt like a completely different movie, like someone had picked up the characters and dumped them somewhere else. It almost felt like fan fiction.

I preferred Kick-Ass one too.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I enjoyed Gravity in 3D - watched it the weekend - the only let down for me was the letter box presentation.

3D is so much better full screen - However I think its more diffcult to keep it real looking which I think was the whole intention of the film.

To try and replicate in some small manner actually being in space.

WHF reviewed it as dark in 3D - I dont think it was dark it just had a certain look to it - If there is nothing to absorb/ reflect light mabe that is how it looks

The actual perception of no gravity I think was presented amazingly well. Not just stuff floating round - the camera angles that were used etc.

Its a very clever film from that point of view.

Good enough for me to want to go back and watch again - Jus to Reiterate - I am a 3D convert, from not being interested to now I absolutely love it - its awesome setup properly. Absolutley awesome and I hope they keep bringing new films out in it.

Pacific Rim still sets the standard for me - thats my new Reference disc for everyhting pic and sound

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:

I think the second one was a completely different writing team. Have to say I was a little disappointed with the first one, I only saw it recently and on paper it's exactly the sort of thing I should like but it just didn't do it for me. Must say the scene where HitGirl is being battered in the face put me off considerably, she's, what, 11 or 12? Leaving aside the distastefulness of the scene (which was bad enough) a girl of that age being repeatedly smashed in the face by a fully grown man isn't going to be getting up, or talking, for some time, never mind fighting back, it was idiotic.

I must be getting old.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Haven't seen either. Just ordered Gravity on Blue ray.

I expect I shall like it.

Kick Ass was excellent.

Kick Ass 2 was unadulterated dross.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I thought gravity was alright nothing special though, i watched it in 2D and kept waiting for the story to start, my sisters husband really enjoyed it but he watched it in 3D at the imax guess thats where i went wrong.

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The issue with both of these films was that they were so over-hyped by the media.

I saw Gravity at the cinema (2D) and thought it was excelent but not amazing, certainly not a game changer like Matrix or Avatar in my view.

I saw Captain Philip's at home and again, really enjoyable and gripping but not amazing.

Both films were great but as many have said, I was perhaps expecting much more.

D

Deleted member 2457

Joe Cox said:
I enjoyed Gravity 3D. First 3D content I'd watched at home in a long time. I did find the dlalogue a little unclear at times, though.

What TV do you have, Joe?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Gravity should have been called Speed... In Space!

or Oxygen!

Visually stunning at the IMAX in 3D, but not much else to say really!

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Joe Cox said:
I enjoyed Gravity 3D. First 3D content I'd watched at home in a long time. I did find the dlalogue a little unclear at times, though.

Sounds like you need a new system - I can make some recommendations for you if you like? :)

Heh. I'm using a Sonos Playbar at the moment (my hi-fi system has taken centre stage in the front room). It's great for what it is but made me pine for a proper centre channel (and the rest).

D

Deleted member 2457

Talkingdrum said:
I just sat through Gravity. Total and utter drivel. It got awards!!!!!! WTF is the world coming to?

Agreed. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I enjoyed Gravity in 3D - I am looking forward to watching it again - second time round you see stuff you didnt the first time. I think it is a well made ride you go on as with all good films

I had a little flick yesterday in 2D - while having a little tweak of my systems sound - the artwork is amazing - it looks real

Also great bit of film making all the different contrasts in the visuals and the sound - from intense to silence. The sound effects all sound completey believable and there is some excellent bass effects which ad to the drama. Without the right setup this will all be missed.

This comes back to setup - TV Calibrated makes everthing look correct - you can enjoy the visuals more which is a big part of this film - Calibrated 3D see the film in its full 3D glory outside the Imax

The sound of the film is what makes it - as it always does and its an excellent score

TRENDING THREADS