Captain Phillips and Gravity are rubbish!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
I'm sure it's more a qualitative problem for you than a quantitative one.

I can't agree with you: if they're allowed to make the film (they are) then they have a number of choices. (i) no mission number - people complain about a lack of realism. (ii) a number already used - people complain it didn't happen. (iii) an unused number with exposition - exposition is unnecessary, clunky and distracts from the narrative. (iv) use a later number with no exposition - I'm guessing the smallest number of people find this offensive or intrusive; unfortunately you're one of them.

Or (v), they don't use the Shuttle at all, the ISS has its own arm, they could have substituted most of the scenes quite easily*.

*This is a wild guess, having not seen the film I've no idea if they could have done or not, either way it didn't have to involve Shuttles that don't exist.

I've not seen it either, I suspect it would be the least of my problems with the film.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, I don't care about the inaccuracies. I went to the cinema after work on a weekday to unwind and treat myself to some good entertainment. I got my money's worth. :)

I know you've said before that you'd only buy blu rays of films you consider 'reference' quality, so OOI what are some of your favourite films BB?

Lord of the Rings trilogy, Life of Pi, Super 8 (the train accident), I am Legend, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Finding Nemo, Wall E, Mission Impossible 4 (Burj Khalifa scene), Dredd and Avatar (not watched it lately though).

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Reference quality for me might not include The Dark Night (bit of sharpening & EE going on).

Now true Reference (Film Transfer) would be Cinema Paradiso, Se7en, Taxi Driver, Close Encounters.....................

PS

Gravity IMHO was superb.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Lord of the Rings trilogy, Life of Pi, Super 8 (the train accident), I am Legend, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Finding Nemo, Wall E, Mission Impossible 4 (Burj Khalifa scene), Dredd and Avatar (not watched it lately though).

Good list! No matrix though?

The other potential candidate I'm personally conflicted about is Pacific Rim, in terms of a pure AV experience, when watched in 3D it's arguably the best demonstration I've yet seen of what my system is capable of; however, in terms of a film judged on its own merit its utter, utter pants!

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
mr malarky said:
bigboss said:

The other potential candidate I'm personally conflicted about is Pacific Rim, in terms of a pure AV experience, when watched in 3D it's arguably the best demonstration I've yet seen of what my system is capable of; however, in terms of a film judged on its own merit its utter, utter pants!

Loved it.:grin:

Looking at some of the recent Arrow & Masters Of Cinema Blu's, they are simply stunning.

T

theflyingwasp

Pacific rim was awesome on Blu ray ,so was battleship just turn the brain off.too many to mention we've all seen sky fall on Blu ray do we really need 4k! man of steel could have been great on Blu ray but zach Snyder and his damn grain ...god the grain ...I hate grain.i know some of the videophiles love it but I hate it .300 anyone? It should have been called grain!

did I mention I hate grain

i hate it

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh dear you really don't like film in general then.............

PS

looking at your list of equipment that really is an awful shame as you are missing out on so much.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:

Thanks BB. Where you've highlighted a particular scene does that mean the film in general is one of your favourites of you just like the particular scene? I've not seen all of those but the only one that leaps out as being terrible is Avatar! Whatever its PQ merits I just don't know how anyone could watch it a second time!

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

Thanks BB. Where you've highlighted a particular scene does that mean the film in general is one of your favourites of you just like the particular scene? I've not seen all of those but the only one that leaps out as being terrible is Avatar! Whatever its PQ merits I just don't know how anyone could watch it a second time!

Again i have to disagree it is in my top 10 films i have watched.............and the 3D is breathtaking. Watched it at least five times.

mr malarky said:
bigboss said:

I haven't watched Matrix on my system yet. I've got the trilogy on blu ray, still sealed. :grin: I will get round to watching it soon.

I watched Pacific Rim at the cinema with D-Box. Really enjoyed it. I'm waiting for the price to fall a bit before buying it.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
bigboss said:

I haven't watched Matrix on my system yet. I've got the trilogy on blu ray, still sealed. :grin: I will get round to watching it soon.

I watched Pacific Rim at the cinema with D-Box. Really enjoyed it. I'm waiting for the price to fall a bit before buying it.

You won't be dissapointed.

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

Super 8 is one of my favourite films, but it's the train accident scene that really gives my surround system a good workout. MI4 is a good film, but that's the scene I look forward to watching.

I haven't watched Avatar for 2-3 years now. The picture is reference quality. I've watched it twice so far. Not sure if I'll watch it again.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
bigboss said:

You're in for a treat; 2 and 3 are so-so but the first is still an absolute classic - it blew me away at the cinema, it was great in VHS when I was first getting into home cinema, it was my demo disc of choice when DVD first came out and it still holds its own on BluRay.

And Trinity looks hotter than ever... :)

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
Ever get the feeling your being ignored.:rofl:

Except Taxi Driver, I haven't watched the films you've listed. More than quality of film transfers, I'm interested in visually stunning films, or films with superb audio.

All visualy stunning, audio yes by todays standards they are lacking but if you want Demo material for PQ look no further.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

Would never want to argue that Avatar was a classic, but it's not that bad, certainly watchable (apart from a scene towards the end where they all ride happily into the path of blazing machine guns, get decimated, and then only belatedly get the Gaia to send in the big stompy hammer-head monsters to crush all in their path - I mean come on guys, just a little forward planning here, send the big monsters in first!?).

The main reason I'd defend it as an important film though would be its technical achievements; I remember coming out the odeon Leicester square having seen it in 3D and thinking "that has raised the bar" in terms of what cinema can deliver as an experience, not many films do that and many (admittedly better) films have followed in its wake using the technology to better effect, and it deserves credit for that if nothing else.

chebby said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
Ever get the feeling your being ignored.:rofl:

Except Taxi Driver, I haven't watched the films you've listed. More than quality of film transfers, I'm interested in visually stunning films, or films with superb audio.

What about a great subject, a great filmscript and superb acting?

I'm talking about purchasing a blu-ray disc. Otherwise I've got Sky Movies subscription for good films.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts