Captain Phillips and Gravity are rubbish!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Anyone else seen them what do you think? And they picked up awards! Total garbage is my view.

I haven't read through the whole thread again Gel, but I think I said previously that Captain Phllips was the Disc of the Month in the previous (number 232, April 2014) issue of Home Cinema choice magazine, which I know you bought. Captain Philps had a full-page review. In the current (233, May 2014) issue, which will be widely on sale, there is a two-page review of Gravity 3D, which is also voted Disc of the Month. They say that more so than even Avatar, Gravity is a film that simply demands to be seen in 3D. They are very, very complimentary about the video and audio quality. For instance, the video assessment includes "Image depth, dimensionalily and fine detailing are all absolutely first-rate. Excellent colour saturation, contrast and black levels round out a transfer that undoubtedly sits at the pinnacle of what 3D Blu-ray is capable of."

I will be buying the 3D version myself within a week.

So Gel, since you disagree so stongly with two of their recent rave reviews, I guess you won't be applying for the job of film reviewer at HCC! :

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Anyone else seen them what do you think? And they picked up awards! Total garbage is my view.

I haven't read through the whole thread again Gel, but I think I said previously that Captain Phllips was the Disc of the Month in the previous (number 232, April 2014) issue of Home Cinema choice magazine, which I know you bought. Captain Philps had a full-page review. In the current (233, May 2014) issue, which will be widely on sale, there is a two-page review of Gravity 3D, which is also voted Disc of the Month. They say that more so than even Avatar, Gravity is a film that simply demands to be seen in 3D. They are very, very complimentary about the video and audio quality. For instance, the video assessment includes "Image depth, dimensionalily and fine detailing are all absolutely first-rate. Excellent colour saturation, contrast and black levels round out a transfer that undoubtedly sits at the pinnacle of what 3D Blu-ray is capable of."

I will be buying the 3D version myself within a week.

So Gel, since you disagree so stongly with two of their recent rave reviews, I guess you won't be applying for the job of film reviewer at HCC! :

Nope, I won't. I don't do 3D either, it gives me headaches, but I do like it at the cinema. Both films were poor though considering the hype.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Sorry to upset gel, spinynorman, bigbernardbresslaw, and several others, but ....

I meant to post this weeks ago, when my subscription copy of Home Cinema Choice (issue 242, January 2015) arrived, on 6th December I think it was, but I was just about to go to the Philippines for a wedding .... anyway, that issue, which I saw still for sale at a big Tesco on Wednesday 7th January, was the Awards issue of the discs released in 2014, and ...

(1) For Best Picture Quality, the winner was Edge of Tomorrow, Gravity was one of three Blu-Rays that were Also Nominated;

(2) Best SFX, - the winner was Guardians of the Galaxy, and Gravity was one of three Also Nominated.

(3) Best 3D Blu-Ray - the winner was Gravity.

(4) Best Audio Quality - the winner was Transformers: Age of Extinction, and Gravity was one of three Also Nominated;

(5) DISC OF THE YEAR - the winner was GRAVITY 3D.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have watched Gravity about 3 times since this thread and it's not too bad! Okay but very short. How are you getting on with your Panasonic plasma TV mate?

A

Anderson

What's anyone thoughts on the Golden Globes, Nolan got completely snubbed?!?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
have watched Gravity about 3 times since this thread and it's not too bad! Okay but very short.

So, Gravity isn't entirely garbage after all, huh? *smile* I do like it in (active) 3D.

gel said:
How are you getting on with your Panasonic plasma TV mate?

A bit better now than when it arrived a fortnight ago, but it definitely needs to be calibrated.

D

Deleted member 116933

Films are funny beasts what one person like another hates. I very rarely come across a film i dont like. Thery're just some films you just have to switch off for and not overly think about it. But gravities story isnt to fare beyound the truth and it could to people on the space station (i hope not) and its original not a sequal . Its more grounded than interstellar and thats full of holes in more ways than one.

Star wars a new hope for instance. If i was done to day i dont think people would love it as much as they do. It just that your grew up with it and holds fond memories.

A

Anderson

millennia_one said:
Films are funny beasts what one person like another hates. I very rarely come across a film i dont like. Thery're just some films you just have to switch off for and not overly think about it. But gravities story isnt to fare beyound the truth and it could to people on the space station (i hope not) and its original not a sequal . Its more grounded than interstellar and thats full of holes in more ways than one.

Star wars a new hope for instance. If i was done to day i dont think people would love it as much as they do. It just that your grew up with it and holds fond memories.
More grounded than interstellar? Pfft!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
In that I have films that I love but my friends hate, also I am a big fan of "world cinema" films but some of my friends won't watch them because they have subtitles on, very strange.

*unknw*

D

Deleted member 116933

Traveling to fare away worlds through black holes Pfft!!!!! whats ground about that, the only bit thats grounded is the fact the planet is dying. Didn't say i didn't like its just another movie you have to switch off for, Its why its called sience fiction.

None of interstellar is grounded.

The reason i say gravity is more grounded is because

1. there is space juck up there (we can prove it and see it)

2. It could actually happen. And there is an artical that explains it and it even has a proper name i just cant remeber it now.

The part that isn't grounded is the rest of it the acting is farly solid though enevn is the stroy isn't much (but then its not supposed to be) . Which is more than i can say for McConaughey who acts the same in all his films. But the story is great but is full of holes.

Interstellar none of it is possible. Not even the space craft.... that is only plasuable hence the reason i said gravity is more grounded.

There just films and i enojyed them all even Capt Phillips

A

Anderson

millennia_one said:
Traveling to fare away worlds through black holes Pfft!!!!! whats ground about that, the only bit thats grounded is the fact the planet is dying. Didn't say i didn't like its just another movie you have to switch off for, Its why its called sience fiction.

None of interstellar is grounded.

The reason i say gravity is more grounded is because

1. there is space juck up there (we can prove it and see it)

2. It could actually happen. And there is an artical that explains it and it even has a proper name i just cant remeber it now.

The part that isn't grounded is the rest of it the acting is farly solid though enevn is the stroy isn't much (but then its not supposed to be) . Which is more than i can say for McConaughey who acts the same in all his films. But the story is great but is full of holes.

Interstellar none of it is possible. Not even the space craft.... that is only plasuable hence the reason i said gravity is more grounded.

There just films and i enojyed them all even Capt Phillips

WAT!

Interstellar is probably the most grounded film ever, you can tell it is because it didn't do well at the Globes. Tides go in, tides go out, can't explain that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts