Captain Phillips and Gravity are rubbish!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
Ever get the feeling your being ignored.:rofl:

Except Taxi Driver, I haven't watched the films you've listed. More than quality of film transfers, I'm interested in visually stunning films, or films with superb audio.

You'd probably like Close Encounters.

I've heard its good, but never got round to watching it. Let me check Amazon..... :type:

HDTVfan said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:

Except Taxi Driver, I haven't watched the films you've listed. More than quality of film transfers, I'm interested in visually stunning films, or films with superb audio.

All visualy stunning, audio yes by todays standards they are lacking but if you want Demo material for PQ look no further.

Hmmm....will check them out. :cheers:

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
chebby said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:

What about a great subject, a great filmscript and superb acting?

I'm talking about purchasing a blu-ray disc. Otherwise I've got Sky Movies subscription for good films.

Or Amazon Prime these days :)

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:

All visualy stunning, audio yes by todays standards they are lacking but if you want Demo material for PQ look no further.

Hmmm....will check them out. :cheers:

:cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
HDTVfan said:
Reference quality for me might not include The Dark Night (bit of sharpening & EE going on).

Now true Reference (Film Transfer) would be Cinema Paradiso, Se7en, Taxi Driver, Close Encounters.....................

PS

Gravity IMHO was superb.

I'd add No Country for Old Men to that list. It's also a cracking film.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
I'd add No Country for Old Men to that list. It's also a cracking film.

Agreed.

I did see a review by someone who said that it was boring, and that nothing happened at the end, it just finished, so everything that happened was pointless! :doh:

T

theflyingwasp

HDTVfan said:
Oh dear you really don't like film in general then.............

PS

looking at your list of equipment that really is an awful shame as you are missing out on so much.

i just feel Im watching a bad picture ,I know the detail is there when watching a film with a light or heavy grain transfer I just don't like it .

the amount of Blu ray movies that are a step up from the DVD release that I will not buy because of the grain must be 50+

with many studios moving towards digital that suits me fine

sometimes tho is it digital noise or film grain?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Watched Captain Philips last night. Really enjoyed it. Even though I think Gravity has better rewatch value, I think CP is a better movie overall.

Thanks for that David

I thought I was the only one, can't comment on Gravity yet though.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I put Gravity on for my mum the other night while I was busy doing other things. Watched bits and pieces of it again and would have to say I will be watching again. There were points that I missed the 1st time.

So maybe a chance of it getting a better score from me..

maybe the visuals in the background distracted me from the actual plot??

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
In saying that the ending was poor. Better if she managed to swim to surface and then got eaten by a croc...
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

john1000000boy said:
In saying that the ending was poor. Better if she managed to swim to surface and then got eaten by a croc...
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

I didn't get that far! :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gravity - Visually stunning, poor character building and story.

Captain Phillips - Castaway with pirates

Neither worthy of a rewatch for me

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
Finally watched Gravity, 3D bluray.

Fantastic film imo.

Great 3D (which is unusual for me to say).

Loved it.

Watched this in 2D, thought it very good if a little OTT

Picture and sound up there with the very best, and on that basis alone it is worth a rewatch.

As regards the plot (or lack of according to some), where else could it go??

fayeanddavid said:
As regards the plot (or lack of according to some), where else could it go??

David@FrankHarvey said:
Regarding the plot, would someone have liked the three of them to be involved in some kinky orgy love triangle in space? Maybe one of them could have been an alien in disguise trying to sabotage the mission? Or maybe some aliens turn up and ask them what the hell they're doing, and tell them to "go and play up their own end". Maybe, blah blah blah. They're in space, their mission goes wrong, and it is then a fight to survive, and if they survive, it is then it is a case of trying to get back to earth or die in space......

Really? What more do people want?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts