Canon DM50, loud popping sound, then dies

juliesin

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I have had my Canton DM50 for about six months and i love it.

For the first time today i had a problem with it, it made some very loud popping sounds, and then made no sound and was unrepsonsive, the green light stayed on, but it would not work with the included remote or the the tv remote.

I unplugged it, intent on taking it back to Richer Sounds, but after half an hour or so i just thought i'd give it one my try, and i was pleasantly suprised to see that it was working again, however, after about 15 mins of listening, it popped a couple of times and then cut out again (green light still on, but no sound and none responsive)

I unplugged it and tried it again ten mins later, it seemed to turn on, with the blue letters showing "TV" but the letters were flickering, it then went to the green light, but none responsive and no sound.

I left it another half hour, turned it on and now it seems ok, but i have no idea how long it will last, i want to return it to Richer Sounds so they can have a look at it, but i'm worried that i will get it there and it will work ok (RS is about 45 miles from me). I might try videoing the problem so i can show them.

Bit of a late reply to this, but my Canton DM50 SE (That's the glass topped one) has just started to do exactly this after about 6 months of use.

It's now dead, completely, as far as I can tell. Green light on, TV indicator flickering. Unresponsive to remote input. I think something's gone inside the unit.

Incidentally, this is the THIRD unit I have had in less than 12 months. The first two exhibited very similar behavior.

Did you get yours replaced in the end?

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, it could be a PSU issue. I had an Arcam AV8 that when turned on large pop / thud & switched off, but would work again after 10 mins or so, but then again pop/thud & shut down. Despite my insistence with Arcam at the time that it could be a PSU problem where the unit was drawing too much power then shutting itself off as a safety measure, it took ages before they agreed. However, considering your unit isn't turning off, I may be wrong. But thought it might be worth mentioning.

Hi Jog & Nick -

Yeah, sounded very 'psu' like I must say. As did the other two when they packed up too. I thought it might be *my* supply that was the issue, but absolutely nothing else was, or ever has, suffered with power spikes or anything. All 3 have used completely different plug sockets too, so it's not like it was a dodgy extension.

Either Canton have had a huge number of dodgy psus (if that is what it turns out to be), or I've been 3 times unlucky. Needless to say the unit is now back with the supplier whilst I await a verdict. Sadly, unless it's a repair to my unit, I won't be getting another Canton (i.e. a replacement). Shame, cos I liked it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts