Snake oil etc

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

I'm thinking about ways but most of the furnishings are unavoidable.
I have a hifi in the livingroom but because I like music louder than most I keep my main set in the back bedroom to avoid annoying the neighbor etc.
There's a corner couch and obviously a double bed both of which I can't get rid of.
The room isn't ideal for music to begin with as it's an odd shape.

I've had both hifis in bedroom and the livingroom at one point and the jump in quality is a night and day difference when in the livingroom.
I have decent headphones but personally much prefer speakers.
I've considered all kinds because moving the soft furnishings isn't an option.
I can't move the siting of the speakers much because of the rooms limitations but have placed the provided bungs in the back of the rear speaker vents which helps.

The hifi still sounds very good but it's always frustrating knowing it's got so much more to give if only the room was different.

I've done the obvious ie a decent hifi cabinet and kept the speakers away from the corners and walls but other than that I can't make much of an impact on the sound being strangled a tad.
(I don't mean by way of volume)

It's definitely the soft furnishings to my mind but I suppose having the hifi in the bedroom was always going to come with that trade off.
Other than kicking my partner out 😂 or moving her many many belongings to another room it's always going to have these things in here.
The 4ft teddy bear she has me share my listening room with and his many many friends don't help the situation.
I've tried hiding them but they always find their way back onto the corner couch or worse the bed.

I will keep up with the sporadic experimenting.
I've often thought about some kind of "pie in the sky" solution like a large cover to drape over the corner couch etc etc but obviously it would have to be made of something that reflects sound.
It would be ideal though as I could just store it away afterwards.
Kick the bed out, sleeping is for wimps…

Gray

I'm thinking about ways but most of the furnishings are unavoidable.
I have a hifi in the livingroom but because I like music louder than most I keep my main set in the back bedroom to avoid annoying the neighbor etc.
There's a corner couch and obviously a double bed both of which I can't get rid of.
The room isn't ideal for music to begin with as it's an odd shape.

I've had both hifis in bedroom and the livingroom at one point and the jump in quality is a night and day difference when in the livingroom.
I have decent headphones but personally much prefer speakers.
I've considered all kinds because moving the soft furnishings isn't an option.
I can't move the siting of the speakers much because of the rooms limitations but have placed the provided bungs in the back of the rear speaker vents which helps.

The hifi still sounds very good but it's always frustrating knowing it's got so much more to give if only the room was different.

I've done the obvious ie a decent hifi cabinet and kept the speakers away from the corners and walls but other than that I can't make much of an impact on the sound being strangled a tad.
(I don't mean by way of volume)

It's definitely the soft furnishings to my mind but I suppose having the hifi in the bedroom was always going to come with that trade off.
Other than kicking my partner out 😂 or moving her many many belongings to another room it's always going to have these things in here.
The 4ft teddy bear she has me share my listening room with and his many many friends don't help the situation.
I've tried hiding them but they always find their way back onto the corner couch or worse the bed.

I will keep up with the sporadic experimenting.
I've often thought about some kind of "pie in the sky" solution like a large cover to drape over the corner couch etc etc but obviously it would have to be made of something that reflects sound.
It would be ideal though as I could just store it away afterwards.
You've got the opposite problem to those with acres of bare wall and floors adding 'life' - and personally I'd rather have your problem.

I've seen rooms with soft furnishings actually obstructing speakers and can understand that being disastrous - but if your ears have unobstructed access to your speakers, I would have thought you can hear what life your music has.....if they add reverb on the recording to give 'life', you'll still hear that.

But you say you prefer the sound of the same gear in the living room, so maybe you like hearing a few reflections. Or maybe it's more the dodgy shape you mention that's causing the real bedroom issue 🤔

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
You've got the opposite problem to those with acres of bare wall and floors adding 'life' - and personally I'd rather have your problem.

I've seen rooms with soft furnishings actually obstructing speakers and can understand that being disastrous - but if your ears have unobstructed access to your speakers, I would have thought you can hear what life your music has.....if they add reverb on the recording to give 'life', you'll still hear that.

But you say you prefer the sound of the same gear in the living room, so maybe you like hearing a few reflections. Or maybe it's more the dodgy shape you mention that's causing the real bedroom issue 🤔
It is indeed an odd shape, it's easier to show you rather than explain.
I've put the speakers in what I think is the optimal position giving that the bed has to go where it is.
The speakers can't go length ways as it's just not wide enough to generate a stereo effect.
I think it's soft furnishings and you being right in the shape somewhat effecting the sound.
I haven't gone into vast details on the diagram as there's many things I've described prior in their.
Perhaps a solid floor would help instead of a carpet 🤔

Attachments

• 1000003285.png
    1000003285.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Gray

monad

Dec 26, 2023
Visit site
i saw a system with wood blocks all over the gear.. was made from Canadian Spruce he said, the same wood used to make violins or something like that.

i am a magic cable believer- full disclos- and believe i can hear the differences in various cables, in my system, when swapped out with other cables.. the closest thing I've run to lamp cord is Duelund tinned copper ;D

that being said, when I saw the blocks, I kind of went, "hmmm"

they system owner said that they break up the EM and improve performance.. something to that effect.

i do believe that vibrations and EM destroy fine detail, disrupt tube performance and can change the sound output of a system for the worse..and that not all power is the same.. conditioners do change the sound..

but man, i couldn't get behind the whole wood block thing, even after diving into the EM v audiophile rabbit hole.

so I can see how someone could take the things I believe above and roll their eyes just the same as I did w the blocks./ same system also had spruce cable lifters-- edge tech fo sho.

monad

Dec 26, 2023
Visit site
Wood, of any type or price, will make no difference to any system. You might has well put a piece of smoked salmon next to your HIFI. It's nonsense.
cedar wood planks deliver a <0.0008 level of harmonic resonance. when you add smoked salmon, thinly sliced organic red onions, capers, lemon zest, and toast points, the harmonic resonance drops to 0.0009.. explain that?!

Reactions: camcroft

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Wood, of any type or price, will make no difference to any system. You might has well put a piece of smoked salmon next to your HIFI. It's nonsense.
A large majority of Hi-Fi racks are wood and offer good sonic properties.

Loudspeakers are also made from wood and somehow, I cannot see ones made of smoked salmon doing the same thing.

But each to their own and enjoy your music, whatever fish product you use.

DG…

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
All I know is what I see as I'm a analytical thinker and cables of many (being half decent) have been fully graphed and shown no acoustic difference to crazy priced wiring.
Lamp cord also showed the same values.

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

A large majority of Hi-Fi racks are wood and offer good sonic properties.

Loudspeakers are also made from wood and somehow, I cannot see ones made of smoked salmon doing the same thing.

But each to their own and enjoy your music, whatever fish product you use.

DG…
Wood fitted to speaker leads, or interconnects, will have zero impact, like smoked salmon.

This stuff is complete nonsense:

Also, I would never suggest speakers should be made out of smoked salmon, as that would be stupid.

I do believe speakers should be made out of modern materials, which unlike wood, are not inherently resonant.

You want this property when making a guitar, for example, but it's not good for loudspeakers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

Wood fitted to speaker leads, or interconnects, will have zero impact, like smoked salmon.

This stuff is complete nonsense:

EVEN WORSE :-

podknocker

Last edited:

podknocker

If you want snake oil and want to waste your money, knock yourself out with this stuff:

A large range of products with zero scientific evidence they actually do anything useful.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
EVEN WORSE :-
I looked at that just out of passing interest and it's just crazy.
I can't believe anybody even ppl with enough to buy anything would be stupid enough.
It hasn't even got boasting rights with your pals as there's" only actual proof to show they make no difference"
Even massively stupid people usually have that little bit of supporting evidence to believe something is better.

I understand the placebo effect it happens to us all.
I can even understand people going along with it (to a point) if they indeed get satisfaction out of knowing the have a better quality cable.
I have decent cable but it's because I know it will be less likely to oxidise etc but that's a joke.
I find it almost offensive knowing it's genuine, nearly 50,000 for wire and it's not even an investment as if it were platinum etc it could be weighed in by the buyer once the drugs he'd obviously been on when purchasing wore off.

D

Deleted member 201267

If you want snake oil and want to waste your money, knock yourself out with this stuff:

A large range of products with zero scientific evidence they actually do anything useful.
COMPLETE UTTER profanity deleted by moderation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Friesiansam

Friesiansam

I looked at that just out of passing interest and it's just crazy.
I can't believe anybody even ppl with enough to buy anything would be stupid enough.
It hasn't even got boasting rights with your pals as there's" only actual proof to show they make no difference"
Even massively stupid people usually have that little bit of supporting evidence to believe something is better.

I understand the placebo effect it happens to us all.
I can even understand people going along with it (to a point) if they indeed get satisfaction out of knowing the have a better quality cable.
I have decent cable but it's because I know it will be less likely to oxidise etc but that's a joke.
I find it almost offensive knowing it's genuine, nearly 50,000 for wire and it's not even an investment as if it were platinum etc it could be weighed in by the buyer once the drugs he'd obviously been on when purchasing wore off.
Scroll down a bit on your link, then look at the speaker cables, £84,400 for the longest standard length!

Just looked on Autotrader, there is an Aston Martin DB11 V12 with less than 10,000 miles on it, for less than £80,000 listed.

abacus

When manufactures make special claims about their products to justify their cost, ask them to provide verifiable evidence of this advantage that they claim, if this is not forthcoming or they just make excuses, then this indicates that it is most definitely a scam product. (If it wasn't they would give you every bit of information they could)

Bill

Friesiansam

Just been doing some digging around, to see if there is any genuinely useful information about these boxes. Aside from all the flowery guff, this sentence, in another forum, stood out: "To accept ground boxes as valid would require so much open-mindedness, that all previous thoughts would fall out."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts