Can King Kuro be dethroned Now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can King Kuro be dethroned Now?

Stanley, nobody's talking about a 42" HD Ready Pioneer being "King", only the 9th Gen Kuro plasmas, so comparing a Z1 to the earlier model isn't a fair test.

I haven't seen a TV yet that I'd swap my KRP-500A for, certainly not any Panasonic and no LCD display at all.
No kit worth mentioning...

I thought you had no kit worth mentioning.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jarra:the_lhc:Stanley, nobody's talking about a 42" HD Ready Pioneer being "King", only the 9th Gen Kuro plasmas, so comparing a Z1 to the earlier model isn't a fair test.

I haven't seen a TV yet that I'd swap my KRP-500A for, certainly not any Panasonic and no LCD display at all.
No kit worth mentioning...

No audio kit, anyway I don't really like the idea in general.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
jarra:Re: Can King Kuro be dethroned Now?

Stanley, nobody's talking about a 42" HD Ready Pioneer being "King", only the 9th Gen Kuro plasmas, so comparing a Z1 to the earlier model isn't a fair test.

I was taking issue with what the prior poster said to me. I didnt claim that the 42" model was king but the 42" owner may well think so!
emotion-18.gif
I was assuming in the round that Pioneer was king : not a particular model!
emotion-13.gif
So I make no apologies for fairness of comparison.
emotion-14.gif

I have seen the 9th gen Pioneer's and still wasn't my cup of tea. I suspect for all Pio's a pro calibration is a must, whereas with Z1, and later models you get THX at a touch of a button.
emotion-2.gif

I don't think Panasonic is King either, just hanging off the coat-tails of Pioneer ; hence the purchase of Pioneer patents and hiring of ex-Pioneer engineers.

We only have a pretender to the throne right now, where is the once and future king?
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
StanleyAV:the_lhc:Stanley, nobody's talking about a 42" HD Ready Pioneer being "King", only the 9th Gen Kuro plasmas, so comparing a Z1 to the earlier model isn't a fair test.
I was taking issue with what the prior poster said to me. I didnt claim that the 42" model was king but the 42" owner may well think so!
emotion-18.gif

Forgive me Stanley but you were the first person to mention the 42" models, I don't recall anyone else talking about them.

I was assuming in the round that Pioneer was king : not a particular model!
emotion-13.gif

No, nobody's ever claimed that, Pioneer's non-plasma models weren't anything like as good as the 9th Gen plasmas (I think the last 37" LCD Kuro only got 3 stars from WHF). It's the last two models, the PDP-5090 and the KRP-500 (and their 60" equivalents) that gained all the plaudits.

So I make no apologies for fairness of comparison.
emotion-14.gif

I have seen the 9th gen Pioneer's and still wasn't my cup of tea. I suspect for all Pio's a pro calibration is a must, whereas with Z1, and later models you get THX at a touch of a button.
emotion-2.gif

And with the KRP models you get the "Pure" mode, which is often said to be as close to an ISF-calibration out of the box as any TV has ever got.

scene

the_lhc:And with the KRP models you get the "Pure" mode, which is often said to be as close to an ISF-calibration out of the box as any TV has ever got.
Pure mode is pretty spectacular. And upscaled SD on the KRP can be so good, that you forget it is SD. I sometimes flick through channels and end up just sitting and watching some channel for 10-15 minutes just because the imagery, colour balance, is so spectacular.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy:
scene:. I sometimes flick through channels and end up just sitting and watching some channel for 10-15 minutes just because the imagery, colour balance, is so spectacular.

No that's boredom.

emotion-2.gif
LOL - you're not wrong...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:jarra:the_lhc:

No audio kit, anyway I don't really like the idea in general.

Ha ha, me neither.
emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:

Even on upscaling. Whenever we evaluate screens we start with the internal tuner then an external tuner as for most people this is the majority of viewing.

Intriguing

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts