Can a monitor match a tv?

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
As all my sources are separate boxes (Freesat now tv etc) that just send video by hdmi to my and as I get such poor so poor freeview signal (oak tree issue) that I have not even bother connecting my tv to my roof aerial it makes me feel that as all I really need is a monitor (as I never use the tvs built in speakers either) and even though I'd like a new bigger tv I just feel like I am buying a load of stuff I will never use. So my question is can a big monitor only screen of 40"+ match a tv for resolution and speed as I want a high quality HD image without lag? If yes any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The first 4K computer monitors have just been released in June, but they are a lot less than 40". However the picture quality is said to be outstanding.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/389077/asus-pb287q

For 40"+, you may have to wait a couple of years for the 8K monitors to appear.

abacus

You will be lucky to find a monitor that size and if you do the price will make your eyes water.

Yes a monitor can be better than a TV for the simple reason it is designed for one purpose only, whereas a TV includes everything except the kitchen sink which can degrade ultimate picture quality.

The upside of a TV is because it has all these extras it can be fine-tuned to any mode you like, whereas a monitor is more reliant on the equipment (Usually a computer) that it is connected to.

My personal advice for home cinema would be a projector followed by a TV and keep the monitor for a dedicated use. (Photo, Music or Video editing for example)

Hope this helps

Bill

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
SJCT99 said:
Only just started looking but so far but Sony and Samsung do 40" and 46" LCD Monitors but they aren't cheap.

You can say that again. :)

http://www.amazon.fr/Samsung-SyncMaster-UD55A-Ecran-HDMI/dp/B00556XMTA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1E95JHAQ09NZZ9AQCCW6

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use a monitor Panasonic 50vx100, they are very good with external video processors such as the Lumagen Radiance. The components tend to be higher quality than consumer panels as they are often used in 24/7 situations such as airports although the blacks aren't as good as the present day Panasonics. Customer installers tend to use Plasma monitors as installs in the home cinema install market and don't use LCD monitors as they are good for bright public signage but too not suitable for home cinema .You may be still able to find the Th42bt300,42pf30 or 42pf50 at various custom installers or online.If you want to go bigger I believe there are 50" monitors available like the Th-50bt300 and the pf30 and pf50 pro-plasma ranges.These monitors can be purchased without their 3d emitters.The only LCD monitors whichh were used in the custom install market were made by JVC many moons ago.

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use a monitor Panasonic 50vx100, they are very good with external video processors such as the Lumagen Radiance. The components tend to be higher quality than consumer panels as they are often used in 24/7 situations such as airports although the blacks aren't as good as the present day Panasonics. Customer installers tend to use Plasma monitors as installs in the home cinema install market and don't use LCD monitors as they are good for bright public signage but too not suitable for home cinema .You may be still able to find the Th42bt300,42pf30 or 42pf50 at various custom installers or online.If you want to go bigger I believe there are 50" monitors available like the Th-50bt300 and the pf30 and pf50 pro-plasma ranges.These monitors can be purchased without their 3d emitters.The only LCD monitors whichh were used in the custom install market were made by JVC many moons ago.

antheio

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
monitors generally are more accurate in term of color reproduction and have matte screen.

tv colors are made to be punchy and catchy but no neccesarily accurate

TRENDING THREADS