Cambridge Audio Amp Advice.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I've been putting together another little system, over the past few weeks, with a recently acquired CA 640C v2 CD & a pair of Epos M5i's. These are powered by an old Yamaha A-550 amp, with DNM cables.

I'm looking to replace the amp with a CA & was interested in peoples opinion/experience with the 540/640A in both the original & v2 form. Apart from the power difference, in both the model & version, is there any real difference in performance? What would you go for?

matthewpiano

A NAD C325BEE. Sorry, I just think its in a different league to the two CA amps.

However, the 540 and 640 are both decent amps and their brighter sound might suit you. I think there is quite a big difference between the two. The 640 gives a better sense of the space in which the performance takes place and I found it more dynamic than the 540 when I head them both. These comments apply to the V2 versions, both of which I tried at home when they first came out. If you listen at quiet volumes frequently, just be aware that, on both amps, there is a bit of an inbalance between left and right due to slightly poor volume tracking at low levels.

matthewpiano:A NAD C325BEE. Sorry, I just think its in a different league to the two CA amps. However, the 540 and 640 are both decent amps and their brighter sound might suit you. I think there is quite a big difference between the two. The 640 gives a better sense of the space in which the performance takes place and I found it more dynamic than the 540 when I head them both. These comments apply to the V2 versions, both of which I tried at home when they first came out. If you listen at quiet volumes frequently, just be aware that, on both amps, there is a bit of an inbalance between left and right due to slightly poor volume tracking at low levels.

I agree about the Nad. I like it's presentation, it comes close to the 'Arcam' sound which is more controlled than the Cambridge.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the response.

l must admit, my tastes do lean a little toward the "bright side" hence the CA's, though l do not want the sound to be too clinical.

I've used Arcam amps in the past & found them to be acceptable, l do not wish to go down this route.

With the NAD, l know l need to have a listen however, how warm are they? l don't mind if this is across the board, but not at the expense of the detail.

A

Anonymous

l have the opportunity, at a reasonable price, of a Nad 352; any good?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Pass. It wasn't a particularly successful model from NAD.

There's nothing wrong with Cambridge Audio amplifiers. I'm listening to one, 640A v2 as a matter of fact, and sounds really good. Vibrant and lively.

A

Anonymous

The NAD C352 was critically a very well received amp and performance wise it was excellent, so since you have the opportunity, yes I would do so and have done so, having owned one for a few months now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts