Calling Andrew Everard

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Andrew, I wondered if you could recommend a couple of outstanding Tchaikovsky CD releases please? I'm particularly interested in Symphonies 4, 5 and 6 or an entire Symphony collection, something modern rather than a remastered mono made into stereo. I've tried researching online but there are so many. Thanks very much.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, but that's one of the mono ones. I was hoping for a really top quality recording, even at the expense of some performance....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Another modern recording...

Clicky

5190jsqP8wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am trying to get into classicla and want to get some really well recorded easy listening cds

Are those listed above known for sound qaulity or just quality of music?

Ay recoemmendations for a classical newbie that has exceptional sound quality >??

A

Anonymous

Ellis, why not try some compilations first, particularly if you're wanting some easy listening. This will allow you to find some idea of what you like. There's a plethora of modern compilations, particularly Classic FM ones. There are also some iTunes ones at low prices. For example, "The 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music" for £6.99GBP.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My kinda music
smiley-laughing.gif

1) Russian National Orchestra under Pletnev is really good. You can get all six numbered symphonies plus the Manfred for about £20. This is an easy first recommendation, the 6th is demonstration quality. The finest modern version IMO.

2) The classic version is Mavrinsky with the Leningrad Phil. This is perhaps the most idiomatic interpretation, "the Russian sound", but these are old remastered recordings and you might be disappointed with the sound. The performances are peerless.

3) The Muti versions are also very well regarded and are very good value.

4) The Penguin Guide (which is a bit out of date) recommends the Jansons, Oslo Phil, version. I haven't heard it but they give it a Rosette, which is their top award, so it's worth trying.

5) The greatest bargain is Litton, Bournemouth SO. This is a really top notch version and you get some other stuff too in a 6 CD box for less than £15. I play this a lot.

6) There are a variety of Karajan versions and I always get confused about which is which and anyway he is erratic IMO, sometimes superb and sometimes poor. However I don't think you need to worry as the 5 above are better in many ways.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Chris, thanks for those, will check them out. Your No.1 is actually £14.99 at Sainsbury's.... :) They have a decent selection at good prices (Ellis take note).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Response from Gramophone Editor-in-Chief and Radio 3 presenter James Jolly:

For sheer musical intensity I'd go for the Evgeny Mravinsky stereo set (recorded in the 1960s) on DG:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Symphonies-Leningrad-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000E0W24S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351106606&sr=8-3

But if you're after modern sound, there's much to be said for the recordings from the CBSO and Andriss Nelsons (albeit on individual discs):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=tchaikovsky+birmingham

Or from the 1980s and in fine Chandos sound there are Mariss Jansons's performances with the Oslo PO - for £27 you can get the whole cycle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Complete-Symphonies-P-I/dp/B000GW8AUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1351106757&sr=1-1

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not heard the CBSO/Nelsons versions but his directorship of the CBSO is one of the joys of living in Birmingham at the moment, so certainly worth trying if you want really modern recordings (and are willing to pay full price).

All the others, including the Mravinsky, are on Amazon.

Chris

PS This thread made me dig out my old Abbado/VPO 1976 recording of the 4th. Not the finest of recordings maybe (ADD) but the sheer excitement make it a joy to listen to. It's available as a download (and it may be the version in an Abbado set but that would need checking).

matthewpiano

I would add a recommendation for Daniel Barenboim's recent live recording of the 6th, with the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra on Decca (coupled with Schoenberg's wonderful Variations for Orchestra). The sound is superb and Barenboim brings real intensity to the music.

Otherwise I fully agree with recommendations for Mravinsky and Litton.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Response from Gramophone Editor-in-Chief and Radio 3 presenter James Jolly:

For sheer musical intensity I'd go for the Evgeny Mravinsky stereo set (recorded in the 1960s) on DG:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Symphonies-Leningrad-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000E0W24S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351106606&sr=8-3

But if you're after modern sound, there's much to be said for the recordings from the CBSO and Andriss Nelsons (albeit on individual discs):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=tchaikovsky+birmingham

Or from the 1980s and in fine Chandos sound there are Mariss Jansons's performances with the Oslo PO - for £27 you can get the whole cycle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Complete-Symphonies-P-I/dp/B000GW8AUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1351106757&sr=1-1
Great, thanks Andrew (and James). I think I'll buy a couple of sets (one for the 'intensity' and one to enjoy the sound quality).

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll whittle these down to a couple.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
Ellis, why not try some compilations first, particularly if you're wanting some easy listening. This will allow you to find some idea of what you like. There's a plethora of modern compilations, particularly Classic FM ones. There are also some iTunes ones at low prices. For example, "The 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music" for £6.99GBP.

Thats quite funny - I have acquired quite a few classic fm cd's and I am trying to get into them.

Finding the sound quality ok - not the greatest, its early days quite a lot to listen to.

I am on the right track at least = thanks for the other info as well

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want high quality introductions to specific composers the old Decca "World of" series is top notch. These are first class performances and recordings of the most famous pieces.

Chris

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm not proud of it but the only time I listen to classical is Classical FM in bed before going to sleep (really). Works a treat as I'm usually gone within seconds.

regards

D

Deleted member 2457

drummerman said:
I'm not proud of it but the only time I listen to classical is Classical FM in bed before going to sleep (really). Works a treat as I'm usually gone within seconds.

regards

I use Planet Rock - sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night though. :rockout:

A

Anonymous

Classic FM whilst waking up then Planet Rock during an invigorating shower for me!

Ive gone for the Russian National Orchestra/Pletnev, and the Jansons/Oslo PO. Only £35 for both! Thank you all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts