cables and the foo fighters brigade ...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
I've never come across a high end system with $50k source, $50k amps and $50k speakers that's cabled with 5 buck cables. The A.R.S.E. brigade will say it's because the system owner has more money than sense, but calling a successful millionaire clueless and gullible lacks credibility when the person calling the names is usually the one with a budget system. Reeks more of sour grapes than anything.

I reckon the low rent system in the blind test on the other thread will sound every bit as good as yours.

I guess that's what low rent system owners like you would like to think. Please yourself since that's all you can do. :wave:

Yours is cheaper than the one it sounded identical to. :)

Carry on fooling yourself that your low rent system is identical in performance to a high end one. It's clear that you suffer from more acute delusions than what you frequently accuse others of. Again, typical inferiority complex characteristics.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
These annoy my other half but they are an improvement over the wooden blocks, this is on single cable configuration BTW.

2485825576.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Carry on fooling yourself that your low rent system is identical in performance to a high end one. It's clear that you suffer from more acute delusions than what you frequently accuse others of. Again, typical inferiority complex characteristics.

There used to be a forum rule about not attacking other members.

Lately there seems to be little sign of it being applied.

Yes, I know, someone else started it, so you have to see it through to the end.

MODS - Fair point Chebby. Can everyone please avoid the personal attacks.

The link didn't work for me, John, but I found it from the Super Powerkord page. While too late to reply using your criteria, it seems axiomatic to me that different cables will perform differently. Whether they are audibly different, and if they are whether it is an improvement, is another matter. But they are different!

i note that one reply above mentions several Chord products. I have attended one of their demos where they use about five different sets of cables. No-one present would say there were no difference. I didn't universally prefer the better ones but the best were noticeably superior. Naturally it wasn't blind and I suppose the presenter may have influenced us, but I would be surprised.

I am definitely a believer, and agree with the OP that it seems foolish not to use something decent for a good system. I cannot imagine that everyone who has ever upgraded a cable is deluding themselves.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
I am definitely a believer, and agree with the OP that it seems foolish not to use something decent for a good system. I cannot imagine that everyone who has ever upgraded a cable is deluding themselves.

1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth

As alarming as some of those deficits in science knowledge might appear, Americans fared better on several of the questions than similar, but older surveys of their Chinese and European counterparts.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly. However, both China and the EU fared significantly better (66 percent and 70 percent, respectively) on the question about human evolution.

Overlord Xenu

Xenu was, according to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who 75 million years ago brought billions of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the thetans of these many people remained, and that they cling to people, causing them spiritual harm.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
As a newbie, I seek guidance from the forum Lizard Overlords regarding a wiring-related matter. I am pondering a new turntable. One of my options includes a tonearm with upgraded cable made of "Cardas copper litz".

What's that all about then, hmmm?

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
I've never come across a high end system with $50k source, $50k amps and $50k speakers that's cabled with 5 buck cables. The A.R.S.E. brigade will say it's because the system owner has more money than sense, but calling a successful millionaire clueless and gullible lacks credibility when the person calling the names is usually the one with a budget system. Reeks more of sour grapes than anything.

You haven't been to any recording studios, have you?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
lejockey said:
hifikrazy said:

You haven't been to any recording studios, have you?

Oh it's back to the same old recording studios use basic cables argument again. We've been there, and I pointed to some evidence of studios that did switch to "non-basic" cables and noticed the improvement, but like always, the foo brigade presented the usual weak arguments that they were paid to provide their testimonials blah blah...

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am only on here sporadically, so haven't seen this. Any chance you could find for me again? I know its a pain, but I would be interested to see. thank you :)

All the studios I have been or worked in, have all used cables that are durable, as they get switched around a lot, but have never used cables based on audio performance.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
With all due respect, let's not turn this thread into Groundhog Day. Anyway, like any other cable thread, that thread degenerated into the usual pages and pages of mudslinging,

I believe Mogami is the most widely used cable in pro studios so if what you say is true, then I would expect its website to talk only about their products' durability and not sound quality but look here and it reads no different from any other hifi cable website:

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/platinum/

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/gold/

Notice also that they mention sound quality ahead of durability.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
What is the point of being a (HiFi Forum) foo fighter?

I actually believe most of HiFi is foo, but I don't see the point of trying to convince everybody else of that.

I see the point of making ultra-expensive cables: $$$. It's a business. Whether the product makes a useful sonic difference or not is beside the point.

I also see the point of small brands, that claim their products are as good as anything else regardless of price, wanting to "fight foo", since it is in their best interest to convince all of us that everything they don't sell is foo...

But what does an individual forum member get from convincing others that expensive cables don't make a difference?

I'm sure the guy who is about to drop $15K on cables is not in a desperate financial position and in need of my advice. If he thinks it makes a difference, it's his money to spend. And even if I somehow convince him that a cheap pair of cables would do the same job. it's not as if he's suddenly going to donate the remainder of the $15K to charity. He'll just spend it on some other hobby... Maybe get a nice watch...

Most of our HiFi squabbles just seem so utterly pointless.

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the list of people using the cables on their site, they are almost all musicians, not studios or engineers. Musicians are often far more in the subjectavist camp than the engineers who actually produce the record and are responsible for making the musician sound good. They really aren't the most common cable used in studios at all. There really isn't such a thing as the most common brand.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
lejockey said:
If you look at the list of people using the cables on their site, they are almost all musicians, not studios or engineers. Musicians are often far more in the subjectavist camp than the engineers who actually produce the record and are responsible for making the musician sound good. They really aren't the most common cable used in studios at all. There really isn't such a thing as the most common brand.

So musicians whose world revolves around music are poor judges of sound quality?

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
A while ago now I got a free pair of cables with my magazine subscription. I thought they were unlikely to be much different to my 5 year old qued interconnects - what a surprise when they made a remarkable difference to the sound quality. Yes I was impressed with the Wireworld Luna 6. so I searched eBay for someone who wanted to sell there free cables, as they didn't need them. So recently when I needed a new pair I was happy to buy some Wireworld Luna 7. These are much better than the free ones that came with the turntable (replacements of those cost £15).

There I've said it.

Thing is most folks just want it to sound nice. And now my system sounds nicer. I'm a happy bunny

TrevC

Greenwich_Man said:
A while ago now I got a free pair of cables with my magazine subscription. I thought they were unlikely to be much different to my 5 year old qued interconnects - what a surprise when they made a remarkable difference to the sound quality. Yes I was impressed with the Wireworld Luna 6. so I searched eBay for someone who wanted to sell there free cables, as they didn't need them. So recently when I needed a new pair I was happy to buy some Wireworld Luna 7. These are much better than the free ones that came with the turntable (replacements of those cost £15).

There I've said it.

Thing is most folks just want it to sound nice. And now my system sounds nicer. I'm a happy bunny

On a turntable the capacitance of the cable is quite important and small changes can affect the frequency response.

TrevC

Greenwich_Man said:

There I've said it.

On a turntable the capacitance of the cable is quite important and small changes can affect the frequency response.

TRENDING THREADS