Question Budget speakers for Pioneer A400?

ktie2

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Hey all,

Getting into hi-fi for the first time and recently picked up a Technics SLBD22D turntable and a Pioneer A400 amp. Sounds great even through my cheap and cheerful headphones, but looking for suitable speakers ideally no more than £150 max. I’ve seen lots of conflicting suggestions, but have narrowed down to a few being sold nearby, all for under £100:

Mission 731
Mission 732
Mission 70 MKII
Mission 751
Wharfdale Diamond 9.1

Ideally looking for a warmer sound — which of these would you say is most suitable and would pair well with my amp?
Or any better suggestions for speakers within my budget?

All help is appreciated!

ktie2

May 18, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
I'd take the most recent, the Diamond 9.1s myself.
Can you get to look a t condition of the others?
Unfortunately, while they’re being sold somewhat locally, all listings are too far to travel just to test or check condition. From photos and description they seem in good condition, though that’s the risk I’ll take with second hand equipment I suppose — would you say the Diamond 9.1s would pair best with the Pioneer A400? I’ve heard good things about them for the price, but also seen some people recommend Mission as best to pair with Pioneer A400.

Unfortunately, while they’re being sold somewhat locally, all listings are too far to travel just to test or check condition. From photos and description they seem in good condition, though that’s the risk I’ll take with second hand equipment I suppose — would you say the Diamond 9.1s would pair best with the Pioneer A400? I’ve heard good things about them for the price, but also seen some people recommend Mission as best to pair with Pioneer A400.
There's no reason why the 9.1 shouldn't work well. I used to own a older Pioneer and had them with various Wharfedales for 17 years.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
For me it would be be mission purly personal choice on my part always liked the sound.

Though not on you list if you want mission there’s a lovely pair of 702e on the big E right now for 30quid. And some 700s for 50 quid don’t know why the smaller speakers are worth more but there you go. The baby 700s are a very warm listen

matthewpianist

In good condition, the 751s (original, not the 'Freedom' version) are the ones I'd go for in a heartbeat. I have personal experience of the combination with a Rotel RCD965BX CD player - it was a go-to combination when all 3 components were new, and it can still compete with anything budget-midrange today.

Reactions: Al ears
I would agree with @matthewpianist , out of your list the ones worth investigation are the 751 and the Diamond 9.1, however as stated condition is everything so you take a chance if buying without being able to inspect them but should be able to sell on fairly easily if not to your liking.
No experience of Mission speakers but always come with glowing owner reviews, which, I'm sorry to say, I trust more than mag reviews. Not being cynical just years of experience.

I would also look at old Dynaudio Audience 42 & 52.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hey all,

Getting into hi-fi for the first time and recently picked up a Technics SLBD22D turntable and a Pioneer A400 amp. Sounds great even through my cheap and cheerful headphones, but looking for suitable speakers ideally no more than £150 max. I’ve seen lots of conflicting suggestions, but have narrowed down to a few being sold nearby, all for under £100:

Mission 731
Mission 732
Mission 70 MKII
Mission 751
Wharfdale Diamond 9.1

Ideally looking for a warmer sound — which of these would you say is most suitable and would pair well with my amp?

All help is appreciated!
I have an a400 now driving mission mx3s which sounds good, I've driven mission 763i, tannoy, and q acoustics 3050i through it in its lifetime to date, the mx3s are the best so far, they lighten out the pioneers heavy sound, it's a gr8 amp, I have modern hifi now but still use the a400 in my livingroom, I can't compliment it enough for its original price point and as the written reviews from the time by what hifi etc it was a "giant killer" you can get mx3s for 110 but as always with second hand speakers be careful they have a lifetime,

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hey all,

Mission 731
Mission 732
Mission 70 MKII
Mission 751
Wharfdale Diamond 9.1

All help is appreciated!
1. If you want high-quality sound, don't use vinyl. Vinyl is for vinyl fans, but it has nothing to do with quality sound.

2. The small bookshelf speakers that you listed do not play the entire musical range, you need to buy an additional subwoofer (2.1 triphonic system), or buy larger speakers

If you are just starting out, I'd take absolute answers with a (very large) pinch of salt.

- you might prefer vinyl as its sound is often described as being 'warmer'.

- you do not need a subwoofer or large speakers to get started - all that matters is that you like how it sounds and it makes you want to listen more.

Reactions: WayneKerr

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
you do not need a subwoofer or large speakers to get started - all that matters is that you like how it sounds and it makes you want to listen more.
I like the sound of my laptop's speakers, but that doesn't mean it can't be better, ha ha ha :)

- you might prefer vinyl as its sound is often described as being 'warmer'.
The sound of vinyl is in any case a distorted sound, so vinyl is not something that can be discussed in a topic about Hi-Fi

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hey all,

Mission 731
Mission 732
Mission 70 MKII
Mission 751
Wharfdale Diamond 9.1

All help is appreciated!
Mission mx3s sound gr8 with that amp, I have it as a spare set up in a bedroom

Attachments

• 16958408284343074098018654358993.jpg
    16958408284343074098018654358993.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts