Budget 6000 £ for stereo system

Milan1313

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

This is the first time to post here, but I have been reading the forum for 2 years.

I have a 6000 £ budget for a new stereo system and the budget is not tight. Now I am listening a edifier HCS2330, but I would like to upgrade to a high quality system.

The source will be my computer (lossless files), and I have a 20 square meter livingroom. Most of the time I listen to jazz and pop music. I like bass but it would be better if is not fussy.

Here are my alternatives:

Speakers:

PMC twenty 23/24; PMC OB1i; Spendor D7; Naim Ovator S400

Amp.:

Roksan Caspian M2, NaimUniti2/Superuniti, Bryston, Heed,

Dac

Audiolab M-DAC, Naim Dac V1, Chord Chordette

What is your opinion about these components, what will be the best for me? (I know I have to go to my local dealer to try the setups, but I am intresting in your views) Can you offer some good cables for these? Insted of the dac can you offer some streamers?

Thank you for your komments!

Best regards,

Milan

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you wish to demo the PMCs, I'd have though Bryston amps would be the natural partner.

Of the DACs, my instinct says the mdac, only because I find it hard to get my head around the fact the other two are not good vfm. Remember the mdac can do pre amp.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Of the DACs, my instinct says the mdac, only because I find it hard to get my head around the fact the other two are not good vfm. Remember the mdac can do pre amp.

+1

Worth considering the MDAC2, which is due out around Xmas. It will be based on the MDAC upgrades that the designer John Westlake has been doing over the summer and it will have added Class A stages plus other improvements. I have a Level 3 upgraded MDAC, which is IMO a big step up from the original model.

Details here:

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

:cheers:

Matt

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
PMC23's recommended, especially with Exposure 3010S2 amp.. don't get a DAC until trying out the M2Tech Young...

Worth an audition i think.

Sounds great with jazz, pop, well all genres...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It says in the op that a PCM would be the source ?

Reading between the lines the OP appears to have put a lot of leg work in to this, and the short list is pretty much what he's whittled it down to. Loads of other suggestions might just confuse the matter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
It says in the op that a PCM would be the source ?

Yes it does, but I would encourage the OP to try a streamer before committing....you never know, he might end up agreeing with me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Milan, and welcome.

To your suggestions, I would add:

SOURCE

Linn (Majik DS), Naim or Cyrus streamer

AMP

Sugden A21 SE

Electrocompaniet ECI-3

Pathos Classic 1 Mk111

Musical Fidelity M6i

Lavardin IS

SPEAKERS

Kef R500 / R700

Proac D18

Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Milan1313

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

First of all thank you for the informations and advices. I will check the mentioned Dac.

What do you think about this setup: PMC Twenty 23+Roksan Caspian M2+Chordette Dac? Is it good for jazz and pop music?

Can you offer some cables for the setups?

Best regards,

Milan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Milan1313 said:
Hi All,

First of all thank you for the informations and advices. I will check the mentioned Dac.

What do you think about this setup: PMC Twenty 23+Roksan Caspian M2+Chordette Dac? Is it good for jazz and pop music?

Best regards,

Milan

You won't know how good that system is unless you personally measure it against some competition that's in a similar price range.

Cabling advice will depend on whether you believe in the benefits of going for more expensive ones.

FWIW. I rate Atlas, Linn, Telurium Q and Vertere.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I know its not as simple as the higher cost = better,but with a 6k budget Id prob be looking at allocating 4k to speakers, the remainder would get you a fine DAC/amp.

Milan1313 said:
Hi All,

Best regards,

Milan

Can you actually get to audition these?

It is vital you try to listen to items first and not just buy on other people's hearsay.

Start of a very slippery slope there.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For the budget....if its my money, i would go for a bower wilkin pm1/kef ls50 with a naim superuniti. Add a pv1d/rel in the future :D Will provide for a very good system.

Im not sure if going for the PMC twenty series is for you. Modern pop music will sound very harsh and bass light. Really dislike that series with even slightly with bad recordings.

just IMHO :)

cheers

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Cannot comment on the PMC / Roksan / Chord combination though it sounds in principle a good set up. Tellurium Q cables would be worth investigating within this particuar set-up, Black Rhodium too. You mention the Spendor D7 and if you can stretch to those I would recommend trying them out; have a listen to their A6 if funds don't quite stretch: they might suit you better than the PMCs. I would certainly try and hear the Chord against the Naim V1. You could feed this directly to a power amp too if you loked the Naim - perhaps the Roksan Caspian power amp if the integrated impresses.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The Twenty23's are no where near harsh or bass light with any music i play through them, not sure what you were listening to? :shifty:

They do appreciate and open up tremendously with a quality amp like most good speakers.

They are probably one of the most balanced and detailed pair of speakers for their price and deal with bad recordings just as well, as mentioned in the review on this site.

I listened to these, the B& W PM1's, KEF LS50's and others. The B&W's were closest from what you mention but lacking compared to the PMC's. The LS50's were knocked into a cocked hat! Great for a speaker over £1200 cheaper of course, but no match IMHO ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
i am going to suggest something different.

I am sure that all the product mentioned so far is fine but for my money (I wish) I would like something a little more exciting.

I know that this approach will not be for everyone but I would start by auditioning Electrocompaniet integrateds, either ECI3 or ECI5 and Sonus Faber speakers, either Venere or Liuto models.

These are components that bring something of themselves to the party, to my mind a refreshing change from the rather 'matter of fact' presentation style of many of the components mentioned.

FWIW, if I had that sort of budget I would be scrabbling around for an extra couple of grand and auditioning a Devialet 110, currently £4.5k 'with everything' (bar the streamer option) and a pair of Liutos on nice stands.

Computer to USB initially and keep my eyes on the 'Streamer option' which looks likely to be improved down the line. Airplay too for casual listening.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
garyw77 said:
The Twenty23's are no where near harsh or bass light with any music i play through them, not sure what you were listening to? :shifty:

They do appreciate and open up tremendously with a quality amp like most good speakers.

They are probably one of the most balanced and detailed pair of speakers for their price and deal with bad recordings just as well, as mentioned in the review on this site.

I listened to these, the B& W PM1's, KEF LS50's and others. The B&W's were closest from what you mention but lacking compared to the PMC's. The LS50's were knocked into a cocked hat! Great for a speaker over £1200 cheaper of course, but no match IMHO ;)

The ones i tried are the 24s, powered with a naim superuniti. Maybe the 23 would be different. The 24s i heard makes me want to stand up and strangle norah jones :rofl: this is after more than 10 minutes audition. Maybe its the room, but the 24s bass are extended, but the impact and punch were weak (songs like jeff becks live at ronnie scott, track 10 which have quite a hard hitting drums and bassline).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
FWIW, if I had that sort of budget I would be scrabbling around for an extra couple of grand and auditioning a Devialet 110, currently £4.5k 'with everything' (bar the streamer option) and a pair of Liutos on nice stands.

Computer to USB initially and keep my eyes on the 'Streamer option' which looks likely to be improved down the line. Airplay too for casual listening.

Oh yeah, but I would up my budget with £1
smiley-money-mouth.gif
and get the streamer option too (I suppose the offer exists in the UK as well... ends September 30th)! It is more robust now it has the RJ45 socket.

And if you want to be not-too-far-over-budget, see if you can demo the Guru QM10two speakers at around £1700. That's the combo I'm gonna try some time soon...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:

smiley-money-mouth.gif
and get the streamer option too (I suppose the offer exists in the UK as well... ends September 30th)! It is more robust now it has the RJ45 socket.

And if you want to be not-too-far-over-budget, see if you can demo the Guru QM10two speakers at around £1700. That's the combo I'm gonna try some time soon...

Morning Doc.

I thought the £1 deal was for the wireless connection but maybe not?

I kind of assumed that an outboard computer of some kind would be needed to access digital radio, Spotify and the rest and that the onboard streamer would bring these functions on board.

I have never had hands on, and apart from the dem of the D Premier that blew me away, i know little about the funcionality of the product, maybe someone can help me out. I understand how a computer can simply output music to the USB input but beyond that I am at a loss.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:
davedotco said:

smiley-money-mouth.gif

Morning Doc.

I thought the £1 deal was for the wireless connection but maybe not?

I kind of assumed that an outboard computer of some kind would be needed to access digital radio, Spotify and the rest and that the onboard streamer would bring these functions on board.

I have never had hands on, and apart from the dem of the D Premier that blew me away, i know little about the funcionality of the product, maybe someone can help me out. I understand how a computer can simply output music to the USB input but beyond that I am at a loss.

Hi Dave,

I demoed the 110 last month. I'm quite sure I'm gonna get me one soon. Just need to convince the wife we need it -- "the current amp ain't broken; why replace it?" (talking about a 22 year old budget Yamaha receiver here...) :doh: .

The streamer option (wireless or hardwired) normally sets you back €1000 (not sure how that translates to £ exactly), but there's a limited offer now: streamer for €1.

It is true that you need a source like a computer to stream from. Basically you make your computer see the Dev as its soundcard, be it through USB or network. From then on, you can play anything that's on the computer through the amp, Spotify, YouTube, you name it. Asynchronous. And you can set the buffer capacity, depending on the robustness of your network connection and the file size (320 kbps vs 24/192 for example), so as to get a smooth stream.That' s right: it streams 24/192 files over wifi, if your network is up to it! [having said that, I'm not into hi-res, but that's another matter...].

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Doc, but really I am still not getting it.

Presumably I can just plug my computer into the usb (or toslink) socket on a non streaming D-110 and play anything that is on there?

What I am struggling with is what the 'streamer' option does differently, I assume that there are some technical and functional differences but I remain unsure as to what they are and why I need them.

For me a streamer needs to have onboard support for digital radio, Spotify etc and play them and files from a NAS without having to use a computer.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
kingsap said:
garyw77 said:

The ones i tried are the 24s, powered with a naim superuniti. Maybe the 23 would be different. The 24s i heard makes me want to stand up and strangle norah jones :rofl: this is after more than 10 minutes audition. Maybe its the room, but the 24s bass are extended, but the impact and punch were weak (songs like jeff becks live at ronnie scott, track 10 which have quite a hard hitting drums and bassline).

Fair play. I didn't stretch to the 24's as they would be too much for my room with the larger bass driver.

The 23's are very tight in the bass area and sit nicely in the range as a more balanced speaker unless you have a huge room to fill IMO.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Thanks Doc, but really I am still not getting it.

Presumably I can just plug my computer into the usb (or toslink) socket on a non streaming D-110 and play anything that is on there?

What I am struggling with is what the 'streamer' option does differently, I assume that there are some technical and functional differences but I remain unsure as to what they are and why I need them.

For me a streamer needs to have onboard support for digital radio, Spotify etc and play them and files from a NAS without having to use a computer.

AFAIK, the 'streamer' here means you can get content over a network (wired or wireless). The source can be a computer, linked to that network, or an iThing for example. The data are pulled in and clocked by the Devialet. Running files straight off a NAS is not possible yet, but I was told the Devialet engineers are working on that, and it will be possible after a soon-to-be-released firmware update.

EDIT: I could of course wait for this firmware update before pulling the trigger, but then one thing will be certain: it'll cost me €999 extra...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts