Budget 6000 £ for stereo system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Doc and Dave: I think you're both right about this.

It's a bit naughty of Devialet to market AIR as a streamer because at the moment the Dev can only accept a PCM stream. The AIR software creates a PCM stream but it does so whilst sitting on a PC/Mac. Tho as Doc says, a future upgrade will allow AIR to sit on the Dev itself. My hunch is that you could run a Dev with a Synology DS NAS feeding via USB, but I'm not aware of anyone who's tried this.

When my Dev 170 arrives, I'll start by feeding it from one of my modded Sonos ZP90s via SPDIF. But in the fullness I expect to be able to connect the Dev straight to my NAS via Ethernet.

:cheers:

Matt

(Apologies to the OP for taking this off topic.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
i am going to suggest something different.

I am sure that all the product mentioned so far is fine but for my money (I wish) I would like something a little more exciting.

I know that this approach will not be for everyone but I would start by auditioning Electrocompaniet integrateds, either ECI3 or ECI5 and Sonus Faber speakers, either Venere or Liuto models.

These are components that bring something of themselves to the party, to my mind a refreshing change from the rather 'matter of fact' presentation style of many of the components mentioned.

FWIW, if I had that sort of budget I would be scrabbling around for an extra couple of grand and auditioning a Devialet 110, currently £4.5k 'with everything' (bar the streamer option) and a pair of Liutos on nice stands.

Computer to USB initially and keep my eyes on the 'Streamer option' which looks likely to be improved down the line. Airplay too for casual listening.

I agree entirely (which is why I mentioned it in my list on post 5). Maybe with two of us pushing, it might get seriously considered.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I am sure that all the product mentioned so far is fine but for my money (I wish) I would like something a little more exciting.

I know that this approach will not be for everyone but I would start by auditioning Electrocompaniet integrateds, either ECI3 or ECI5 and Sonus Faber speakers, either Venere or Liuto models.

These are components that bring something of themselves to the party, to my mind a refreshing change from the rather 'matter of fact' presentation style of many of the components mentioned.

FWIW, if I had that sort of budget I would be scrabbling around for an extra couple of grand and auditioning a Devialet 110, currently £4.5k 'with everything' (bar the streamer option) and a pair of Liutos on nice stands.

Computer to USB initially and keep my eyes on the 'Streamer option' which looks likely to be improved down the line. Airplay too for casual listening.

I agree entirely (which is why I mentioned it in my list on post 5). Maybe with two of us pushing, it might get seriously considered.

Oooooops, never has your sig been more appropriate.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
kingsap said:
garyw77 said:
The Twenty23's are no where near harsh or bass light with any music i play through them, not sure what you were listening to? :shifty:

They do appreciate and open up tremendously with a quality amp like most good speakers.

They are probably one of the most balanced and detailed pair of speakers for their price and deal with bad recordings just as well, as mentioned in the review on this site.

I listened to these, the B& W PM1's, KEF LS50's and others. The B&W's were closest from what you mention but lacking compared to the PMC's. The LS50's were knocked into a cocked hat! Great for a speaker over £1200 cheaper of course, but no match IMHO ;)

The ones i tried are the 24s, powered with a naim superuniti. Maybe the 23 would be different. The 24s i heard makes me want to stand up and strangle norah jones :rofl: this is after more than 10 minutes audition. Maybe its the room, but the 24s bass are extended, but the impact and punch were weak (songs like jeff becks live at ronnie scott, track 10 which have quite a hard hitting drums and bassline).

This is a great example of why it is impossible to give definitive suggestions of what will suit someone else.

The PMCs can sound quite different depending on what amp they are paired with, the room they are placed in, and how they are supported and set up.....and even then, some will like the sound much more than others.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I don't mind helping with a bit of Electrocompaniet and SF pushing so make it three ;) :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
Oooooops, never has your sig been more appropriate.

Well, at least it came from two people thinking independantly of each other.

An aficionado of 'old school' class A amplification and an avid proponent of active loudspeakers........ :cheer:

I'm actually feeling a bit sorry for the OP........

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For GBP 6K i'd buy (second hand if possible) something like ( I'd want to get as close to full range as possible for that amount of money. )

NAD M51; Ayre QB-9: 1500 GBP or Mytek 192 DSD for around 1000 GBP

Electrocompaniet ECI 5 MK I; Ayre AX-7E: 1000 GBP second hand

Von schweikert vr-33; Proac D28: 3000-3500 GBP

This is supposing you have some kind of PC to stream from.

My system is no slouch either, but obviously lacks the bottom-end extension of floorstanders.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely agree Cno , that's why the OP can take suggestions but essentially as mentioned a million times on here before, demo. Preferably at home. It's what suits his ears better in his own evironment that matters.

Milan1313

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Do you have any experience with the Naim Ovator S-400? Which amp is good for that speakers?

What about QED, Nordost cables?

Best regards,

Milan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Milan1313 said:
Hi Guys,

Do you have any experience with the Naim Ovator S-400? Which amp is good for that speakers?

What about QED, Nordost cables?

Best regards,

Milan

I didn't like the Ovator S-400s when I heard them on the end of a Naim system; but there are others who are very impressed by them, so it's a hard one to call.

Also, I'm not a fan of Nordost or QED cables, but again, others are very happy with them. FWIW. I would prefer Cardas, Telurium Q, Vertere and Atlas.

I have given a list of where my preferences lie, but I get the feeling you have almost made up your mind on what you want to go for, and are simply looking for confirmation for your choices - IME. nobody can realistically do that.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Milan1313 said:
Budget 6000 £ for stereo system

The Genelec 8260A active speakers for £6300. They're the best that I've heard. They have a built in DAC and amplifiers so they can be plugged directly into your computer with no need for any extra equipment.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/genelec2/1.html

Milan1313

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your komments. You are right, I have to go to my local dealers to listen a lot of setups.

I started this topic in order to share your opinions and experiences about the mentioned components. I am glad to hear a lot of good ideas. I think I am az audiophile listener and I would like to buy a perfect (to my taste), balanced system with some bass extention but I cant spend all my time in the HiFi shops to choose the right cables for the system. My goal was to get some direction which components and setups will be good for me in that conditions (source, genre, size of the room... etc.). Finally, I am a beginner in this HiFi section :)

Best Regards,

Milan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts