Bridge vs Speaker Wire

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased a pair of Monitor Audio RX1s second hand. They didn't come with the metal bridges that connect the HF and LF terminals and I didn't want to bi-wire them. The person I bought the speakers from said he would contact Monitor Audio and have a pair sent to me, but explained that he used speaker wire to connect the terminals rather than bridges. Does anyone else do this and does it really make a difference in sound quality compare to using bridges? Also, is there a particular type of wire that should be used? Any opinions would be appreciated.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I do not use the jumpers that came with my mordaunt shorts because they have a negative effect on sound quality. Replacing them with my speaker cables (qed revelation) leads to a much better sound. You can do the same with your current speaker cables. Don't worry if it does not sound better than speaker links, it will not sound any worse. Most users on this forums noticed an improvement when using cables instead of links, those who did not notice a difference didn't notice any degradation either.

abacus

If you can get the links free, then you can use them as they look neater, (And less fiddly to fit) however if not, just use your current speaker cable as it will be fine. (Links or cable makes no difference)

Hope this helps

Bill

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I had a pair of speaker cables on loan and I had to make up links as I bi wire my speakers and didn't have the jumpers to hand and they are also tri wireable and after I swapped back to my cables I noticed a small difference between the links that I had removed between bass and midrange posts and the new links that I had made from speaker cable and I run my speakers with wire links now while I wait for my new cables

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. This is probably a stupid question, but if I connect the terminals with speaker wire, does that mean I need to then connect the speaker cables from the hifi to the HF terminals with banana plugs? I do not have any plugs at the end of the cables currently, just the bare wire. Would it be the same if I used the jumper cables set that chebby linked to?

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Bare wire will certainly work and i use homemade jumper cables with bare wire ends and its good enough to my ear. I use banana connectors on the speaker cable as it looks

neater and you can finish the job with some heat shrink wrap available from amazon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts