Bookshelves+subwoofer Vs. Floorstanders

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
No brainer. Buy the floorstanders. If you buy the sub, you will spend weeks tinkering and adjusting until you finally become feedup and sell everything and buy the floorstanders. Save yourself all that aggrevation and just go straight to the floorstanders. As usual, just my not so humble opinion.

A

Anonymous

There is subwoofers with remote control, Acoustic Energy Aelite sub for example. Remote control can make adjusting process to different music and listening volume much easier.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:No brainer. Buy the floorstanders. If you buy the sub, you will spend weeks tinkering and adjusting until you finally become feedup and sell everything and buy the floorstanders. Save yourself all that aggrevation and just go straight to the floorstanders. As usual, just my not so humble opinion.

disagree completly - they take a little time setting up but if two of you will have it done as quick as positioning your floorstanders - you may go back to alter the volume sometimes but thats all - good subs are fantastic for music allow far more tweeking options than speakers alone, also sound far better at low volumes as you need to turn speakers up higher to get the cones to work subs supply that from very low volumes - if you don't want the extra bass for late night listening can turn off if needed - i would not swap my sub for floorstanders - had rs8s previously and to me lacked definitation and just sounded boomy - and with a lot of amps dropping tone controls another nice way to tailer the sound to your liking

however i have a very good sub thats prob more expensive than most peoples speakers

A

Anonymous

I'm with you matengawhat.

I would suggest that there's one caveat: if you have a perfectionist personality then a sub (or two) may not be for you as you may be fiddling with it for eternity, unnecessarily. At least a pair of floorstanders removes a lot of decision-making from the equation. I prefer the flexibility.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I would NOT buy the sub!!
I had the more powerful ts500 from tannoy and spent hours and hours combining with my hi fi and tinkering to get a sound where the bass did not sound slow. Eventually gave up. It ruins the speed and timing of the bass and makes music sound lethargic.i much prefered the less but speedy and detailed bass without the sub. Buy floorstanders or better still combine the budget and buy better standmounts. Just my experience.

A

Anonymous

I changed from B&W floorstanders to PMC bookshelf + sub. For me the bookshelf speakers offer a better sound and more flexibility- you don't have to have all the bass all the time. However forget both these options and be absolutely blown away by the detail and performance of the Sennheiser HD800 £1,000 headphones- WOW!!

A

Anonymous

izpuuteejs:Can't decide - spend ~300£ for Tannoy TS-10 sub, or just sell the Chorus 807 bookshelves and go for Chorus 816 Floorstanders?Thanks.!

Hi, there are extensive threads on this subject on the forum. Search for some.

I can tell you that the opinions are equally split. I intend to get a sub, as I would like to have the option to turn it off when my folks are home, rather than having big floor shaking floorstanders, which also don't tend to work so well at lower volumes.

All you can do is try. Perhaps have a home demo of both or equivalent? There is no right or wrong way, only preferrence.

Happy listening :)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i always wonder why some ppl describe subs as slow sounding as to me they only sound slow if they are not very musical ie they only have one tone therefore every note sounds the same so no definition to the notes which to me is also the fault of many cheaper floorstanders - also i think ppl initially have the tendency to have crossovers set to low and the volume set to high reducing intergration and swamping the rest of the music with heavy bass notes

T

the record spot

Just buy good floorstanders; all the bass you'll need most likely. Subwoofers have been pushed like mad since home cinema came in. Before that, you were lucky if you could get anything more in the sub marketplace than products by REL or M&K. Now, everyone and their auntie puts them out and it's usually to supplement weak home cinema speakers.

Good florostanders (and likewise good standmounts) can produce excellent bass presence. Adding yet more means to tweak and tinker with the sound is fine if you like that, for me, it's a non-starter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts