Standmounts vs Floorstanders .. What Do You Prefer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I’m quite partial to the klipsch heritage line of speakers. Bold but with a sweetness to the sound driven by class A. The speakers are so rich and vibrant
Last year I heard some Cornwalls in a small space. I expected them to sound awful but I was well impressed. Wonderful ‘live’ feel, that higher efficiency speakers seem to excel at.

Mind you, the top spec LP12 and Icon Audio valve amp doubtless helped too.

Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Last year I heard some Cornwalls in a small space. I expected them to sound awful but I was well impressed. Wonderful ‘live’ feel, that higher efficiency speakers seem to excel at.

Mind you, the top spec LP12 and Icon Audio valve amp doubtless helped too.
my heresy 3s are on the end of sugden a21 and as you say they fill the room with easy whilst giving a lovely live feeling that only designs as these excel at. But a lot of people give the brand a hard time before they have heard them properly, and making assumptions of sound from what they have read.

Reactions: JDL and nopiano

AJM1981

I would go for the largest standmount and a subwoofer for the reason of flexibility.

Some subs dig lower than the top models of floorstanders. Adding a sub for squeezing the last 10hz is not really practical.

When I would like to watch a film I would turn the sub on, for certain music as well. But sometimes less is more.

Given production I can say that the lowest of frequencies are not always evenly well managed. Great for church organ music, great for film music and films with the well known descending sine wave pulse. But take the 70s and 80s catalogue of rock and pop music that doesn’t even go there. And sometimes there is nothing else there besides the oomph of a kick drum and having only more power in the kicks is not the “sub-experience” I wish because it also takes out speed at the top end.

I like switching it on and off by times with the amp’s app.

Reactions: Witterings
my heresy 3s are on the end of sugden a21 and as you say they fill the room with easy whilst giving a lovely live feeling that only designs as these excel at. But a lot of people give the brand a hard time before they have heard them properly, and making assumptions of sound from what they have read.
They certainly changed my mind about Klipsch. I had even pondered buying some used ones, but my room isn’t very wide, only about 3.5 metres, so wide baffle speakers don’t so easily fit.

As you have a wooden rack I would think matching wood stands would be just the ticket. Something like these.
The Sonus faber stands I pictured are part of the design. They tilt back to time align the drivers, and one is meant to listen below tweeter axis for the best sound. They are marble bases, with metal columns disguised by silk covered rubber strings. The tops are covered with a special cloth (a bit like a snooker table material) and hidden wing-nuts attach the speakers to prevent mishaps.

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I prefer floor standers. I don't think they're bigger than stand mounters unless you have an actual bookshelf to put them on. A stand mount on a stand is as big as a floor stander, but less stable.

What's happened to PRaT?

It's a dirty word in HIFI these days.

Let's buy stuff that sounds really safe and old fashioned.

State of the art recordings, streamers and CD players are beggng for a system with bounce and verve.

Lots of speed and detail and stuff that makes you want to turn it up!

It's the soft, bloated upper bass that annoys me and it's not accidental.

In many designs, the drivers and crossovers are tuned to give you this 'impressive' demo room honk.

No ta.
Dynaudio?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts