Bookshelf speakers, budget £1000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
as the title says i've £1000 to spend on bookshelf speakers.

first of all my room is rather small (3mx3m) and the speakers will be sitting close to me (on or above my desk, so less than 1m away)

i've no amp because i'm not sure whether to go for 2 speakers or 2 speakers + a subwoofer.

the sound i'm looking for:

mids, i want life like instruments and vocals, I can't stand recessed mids.

treble, my ears don't tolerate emphasized treble, must be neutral and i don't mind if it was slighly recessed.

soundstage, i want it to be true to recording (i find a lot of headphones like K702, HD800 have "big" soundstage, trouble it stays "big" no matter what genre or song :(),

bass, i want quick, detailed bass, but still fairly powerful. since these would be bookshelf speakers (and i could possibly add a subwoofer) i'm not sure whether to look for speakers with "best" bass or settle for something with decent bass and great mids, etc. thoughts ?

i can only compare my idea of perfect sound to my current set of headphones, Audeze LCD-2, if its any help

any help would be very welcome, thanks for reading.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Demo Spendor SA1's.

Amazing mids, rolled off treble and with the correct amplification fast, snappy bass.

For deep, punchy bass you will need a sub as well.

Give them a try, preferably at home. With your budget you will need to buy second hand or ex demo though.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Demo Spendor SA1's.

+1

I got mine with the matching stands ex demo for £1000 recently, you will not get closer to your brief for that money IMO.

They do need a good amp tho. What will you be partnering them with?

Another alternative would be Leema Xero's, not as pretty, more bass but not quite as tight, slightly more emphasis on treble and less on the mids than the Spendors. Excellent little speakers tho and easier to partner.

A

Anonymous

Ohhh, can't believe other people is thinking alike me. My suggestion would also be the SA-1.

I had had them for a few months and paired them with the Amp. from Majik DS-I, Moon I.5 and my current Accuphase E 407

As you say you have no amp yet, I think you will need extra equivalent of what you have for the speakers to make them really shine. Everytime you hook them up to better amp, they really surprise you.

John Duncan

fr0g said:
with a £1000 set of standmount speakers you'd be looking at amps in a similar price range.

Unless you're Alan Shaw of course (or me - see sig) :)

But I take your point. One thing that worries me is proximity; I know you're only 1m from yours, do you not find them a bit in your face at that distance? I don't mean the AVIs specifically, but a speaker that size? I'd be tempted to try something a bit smaller like the aforementioned SA1s or the Neat Iotas (haven't heard the latter but I will, I will...) and delegate the bass elsewhere if required. The Neutron 5.1 inc sub might also be worth consideration if there are any left of course.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
with a £1000 set of standmount speakers you'd be looking at amps in a similar price range.

Unless you're Alan Shaw of course (or me - see sig) :)

But I take your point. One thing that worries me is proximity; I know you're only 1m from yours, do you not find them a bit in your face at that distance? I don't mean the AVIs specifically, but a speaker that size? I'd be tempted to try something a bit smaller like the aforementioned SA1s or the Neat Iotas (haven't heard the latter but I will, I will...) and delegate the bass elsewhere if required. The Neutron 5.1 inc sub might also be worth consideration if there are any left of course.
No, they make great studio monitors. And I am probably a bit less than 1m.

I had considered Yamaha HS80Ms too, 8" woofer, no need for a sub WAAAY bigger, but in the end these were just the ticket. I do find it a shame that they are "oversold somewhat", but they are incredibly good speakers and suit the OPs requirements to the letter. So much so I do wonder about the OP? Almost every requirement listed is a strength of the 9s. No recessed mids, sweet treble, tight bass etc.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
For the benefit of the OP.

IMG_8739.jpg

John Duncan

fr0g said:
they are incredibly good speakers and suit the OPs requirements to the letter. So much so I do wonder about the OP? Almost every requirement listed is a strength of the 9s. No recessed mids, sweet treble, tight bass etc.

Are you suggesting foul play, old chum?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
they are incredibly good speakers and suit the OPs requirements to the letter. So much so I do wonder about the OP? Almost every requirement listed is a strength of the 9s. No recessed mids, sweet treble, tight bass etc.

Not as such, but when someone asks for advice on speakers that fits so perfectly, it crosses ones mind old chap. But either way, the advice still stands.

More so if it's for a desk. I used to have amp and speakers and it's a pain in the posterior compared to actives which are perfect for the task.

I would also suggest he trys some of Craigs Opals. Again if he is thinking of £1000 speakers, then you could say the budget was at least £2000, and more if you add a sub. The Opals would be fine sans sub.

The Dali's mentioned are beautiful, sweet sounding speakers too, but they would definitely need a sub and don't go particularly loud from what I remember.

Oh, and you should see my desk at the moment!

John Duncan

fr0g said:
John Duncan said:

Not as such, but when someone asks for advice on speakers that fits so perfectly, it crosses ones mind old chap. But either way, the advice still stands.

Wouldn't be the first time, of course. Which seems odd, since I thought they sold themselves. Anyhoo...

fr0g said:
More so if it's for a desk. I used to have amp and speakers and it's a pain in the posterior compared to actives which are perfect for the task.

Agreed. Am trying out an Audioengine N22 at the moment and it's awkward to place.

fr0g said:
I would also suggest he trys [sic] some of Craigs Opals.

If only they weren't so blimmin' ugly...:-D

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
If only they weren't so blimmin' ugly...:-D

Eye of the beholder dear chap.

OK if only they weren't so blimmin' huge.

Actually, Dynaudio BM5a is an option (or the Xeo 3 wireless...)

Or the Audiopro Living LV2 which have a dedicated sub option and are all wireless. A friend of a friend just bought 2 pairs. I haven't heard them yet, but hope to. He reckons they are extremely good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts