Bookshelf speaker selection

Pro_ARCHER56

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey All Just signed up to basically ask this question:

I'm a very green rookie to the hifi market so after buying a new 5.1 AV reciever (a Yamaha HTR-3066) I set about setting up my old JVC Speakers (MXGC5) which are still working (The old stereo unit is dead) and found that the sound they produced was far from acceptable :wall: . Can I fix this, or should I do what a friend has recommened to me and buy a good set of bookshelf speakers (budget: $200AUD)? I only want stereo for the time being and will be running a PC, PS3 and TV through the receiver.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you are in Oz I think you are going to have an issue with that budget.

As a benchmark you should try and see what a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i, 2020i or a pair of Dali Zensor 1s cost in your neck of the woods.

These are (in my opinion, naturally) just about the only sub £200, (that's pounds,) hi-fi speakers worth having, at $200A you are probably looking at computer speakers or boom boxes.

Hopefully Al Lemon, an antipodean of this forum, can shed some light on the local market.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Assuming you are in Oz I think you are going to have an issue with that budget.

Maybe you could find something interesting secondhand. Plenty of hifi anoraks in Oz ugrading and selling. The Yamaha has got some juice and should sound really great with a wide variety of speakers. Nothing new you can buy at that price is going to do it justice - you already heard what it's going to sound like when you tried your freebies.

Check out ebay and its local equivalents. If you know a cool hifi shop nearby you might let them know that you're interested in any used stuff comes in - they probably don't do business at that price level but many of the customers that are buying speakers from them might be upgrading from something that you could afford secondhand.

But definitely try to find something a little better - you can get some great sound out of your new receiver.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I've just bought a pair of s/h Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's in great condition. They sound amazing to my ears.

If you're on a lowish budget s/h is definately the way to go, and there are plenty of great speakers to choose from which were the 'best sellers' a few years ago.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
JB used to range Wharfdale Xarus bookshelf speakers, they weren't incredible, but for the money they were pretty solid. Otherwise you might get lucky and find a store that still has a pair of Dali Concept 1 speakers, though you may have to stretch your budget slightly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts