Body Mass Index what a load of rubbish!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2457

It doesn’t even take into account men and women are different Eg size and shape different frames, more or less muscle.

D

Deleted member 2457

Does anyone know of a reliable source for roughly how well or bad you are doing? It has to be somewhat realistic too please. Thanks

Gray

Exactly mate it’s crazy! It was done in the 1830’s too. :)
Blimey, I didn't think Lewis was that old :unsure:
Seriously though, I would have thought BMI was a more recent thing.
Best using waist measurement as guide gel.
I saw some string test on telly......in fact, I've just found it:

D

Deleted member 2457

Blimey, I didn't think Lewis was that old :unsure:
Seriously though, I would have thought BMI was a more recent thing.
Thanks mate, I will do that. Just did it in fact with a iPad cable! Didn’t have any string, works though. :)

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

That's interesting Gray. Don't have to do the string test as I'm 68" tall and have a waist measurement of 34", my BMI score is 27 = overweight. I did see a program once that said if your BMI score equalled the acceptable range then you tend to look underweight, at BMI 27 you look more healthy.

Reactions: Gray
Obviously, it would depend on bone density and muscle mass as well. Unless we're body builders or boxers, BMI is fairly reliable. It's BMI that has been used when looking at risk factor for various diseases. Waist measurement as well has been reliably used: a waist of more than 34 inches is associated with significantly increased risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Obviously, it would depend on bone density and muscle mass as well. Unless we're body builders or boxers, BMI is fairly reliable. It's BMI that has been used when looking at risk factor for various diseases. Waist measurement as well has been reliably used: a waist of more than 34 inches is associated with significantly increased risk of diabetes and heart disease.
Thanks BB.

D

Deleted member 2457

Managed to find some string it was more accurate than the iPad cable. :) I have gone from 16.5 underweight to obese 31 in 5 years! But I am on medication and tried 8 different ones to get the right one for me. Stayed at 31 ever since I started my current medication 5 years ago roughly. My diet hasn’t changed if anything I eat less now than before!

Years 30-40 you put on weight anyway. Both my parents and sister are obese too.

BMI is a pretty useless measure in isolation, the main problem being that if you do more exercise/more vigorous exercise than is the norm, you will add to weight without it being in the 'wrong' place or of the wrong type. The cereal that talked about being able to pinch more than an inch was probably a better yardstick!

D

Deleted member 2457

BMI is a pretty useless measure in isolation, the main problem being that if you do more exercise/more vigorous exercise than is the norm, you will add to weight without it being in the 'wrong' place or of the wrong type. The cereal that talked about being able to pinch more than an inch was probably a better yardstick!
Thanks mate.

Thanks mate.
The scales aren't necessarily that much use either - certainly not if you are losing weight by exercising. I was a proper couch potato until 10-12 years ago. Started off using an exercise bike and initial results of any significant change in activity levels are usually gratifyingly good. Got to a point where I couldn't seem to shift another pound no matter how hard I worked, and got sufficiently teed off that the scales felt the brunt of my foul temper with inanimate objects. (I have almost no temper with people - well, most of them...).

It was only when I tried on my suit after a few months that I realised I'd still been losing 'bad' weight, but replacing it with 'good' (i.e. fat to muscle.)

Do an hour's weights a week, walk 20 miles or so and swim 4+ miles a week now, but there's still a bit of tyre that might never go! Obviously the swimming's out of bounds at the moment, so I am back on the bike - lawks, it's boring...

The thought occurs - this section of the forum is my fault, you know.

Back in the days of posts being queued for moderation, I suggested an off-topic section as there were a few posts that were decidedly non-hifi. Lo and behold, it was there within a few hours.

This was a scary number of years ago...

D

Deleted member 2457

The thought occurs - this section of the forum is my fault, you know.

Back in the days of posts being queued for moderation, I suggested an off-topic section as there were a few posts that were decidedly non-hifi. Lo and behold, it was there within a few hours.

This was a scary number of years ago...
Haha. :)

D

Deleted member 188533

Actually the off topic section was removed with the new forum. I just got it back a few weeks ago. ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

So with BMI I am under 3 stone away from my healthy weight - how bizarre!

D

Deleted member 2457

Can you guys recommend a diet for losing weight? Eg breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Not really, as I am a pretty fussy eater and a veggie, so I doubt what I eat will transpose. High fibre stuff tends to be quite filling, which suits me as I love beans on toast.

Best advice I can give to anyone wanting to lose weight is set a calorie target to stick to, and be rigorous with your counting - food labelling makes this pretty easy and fresh fruit veg/can be estimated by looking online. Vary what you eat, in what it is and in quantity - if you were wanting to be averaging 1,500kcal net, 1,800 one day and 1,200 the next seemed to work better with me - stops the body 'adjusting'.

And do whatever exercise you can - I use the MapMyWalk app, so if we walk the mutt for an hour and it shows 350 kcals (she's a slow walker now!) I can add that on to what I eat - the calories are already 'paid for'. I'd also recommend swimming - I think it's true about it being the best overall exercise and as you get fitter you work can harder, so there's more to gain.

Whatever you do the very best of luck. It takes time, but it can be done. The hardest part is keeping in mind that you are doing this for you, not because you should.

D

Deleted member 2457

Not really, as I am a pretty fussy eater and a veggie, so I doubt what I eat will transpose. High fibre stuff tends to be quite filling, which suits me as I love beans on toast.

Best advice I can give to anyone wanting to lose weight is set a calorie target to stick to, and be rigorous with your counting - food labelling makes this pretty easy and fresh fruit veg/can be estimated by looking online. Vary what you eat, in what it is and in quantity - if you were wanting to be averaging 1,500kcal net, 1,800 one day and 1,200 the next seemed to work better with me - stops the body 'adjusting'.

And do whatever exercise you can - I use the MapMyWalk app, so if we walk the mutt for an hour and it shows 350 kcals (she's a slow walker now!) I can add that on to what I eat - the calories are already 'paid for'. I'd also recommend swimming - I think it's true about it being the best overall exercise and as you get fitter you work can harder, so there's more to gain.

Whatever you do the very best of luck. It takes time, but it can be done. The hardest part is keeping in mind that you are doing this for you, not because you should.
Thanks mate! Averaging 1500 calories makes sense.

D

Deleted member 2457

Picture gone now.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

Picture 2 gone too. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts