Bluray Bluray here we come.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay i bought into HD DVD with the Tosh ep10, and have to admit i love it to bits; but now i have the Onkyo 605 up and running the next step has to be into the blu......my only quandry is which one. The PS3 was and to a certain extent still is leading the pack for my £300, but with the intorduction of the new Panasonic i'm a little unsure, and have now read that a new Samsung (1500 model number) could be around soon. I have the Samsung 50inch plasma, any advice as to which may the best to go for? I'm not a gamer as such so should i'm thinking a standalone bluray may be the way to go......

nads

why spend the money on the BR player when the discs are still so much? just think of all the films you can still get on HD DVD? But if BR is the have to have thing for now then the PS3 is the only one with BR live (web enabled in HD DVD speak) but very few if any BR discs can support it any way. I am waiting for quite some time before i buy into BR.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Steveaustwick"]Okay i bought into HD DVD with the Tosh ep10, and have to admit i love it to bits; but now i have the Onkyo 605 up and running the next step has to be into the blu......my only quandry is which one.

The PS3 was and to a certain extent still is leading the pack for my £300, but with the intorduction of the new Panasonic i'm a little unsure, and have now read that a new Samsung (1500 model number) could be around soon.

I have the Samsung 50inch plasma, any advice as to which may the best to go for? I'm not a gamer as such so should i'm thinking a standalone bluray may be the way to go......[/quote]

I have the EP35 and have just bought the BD30. It is Profile 1.1, getting excellent reviews and available now. Bitstream audio to the 605 will do nicely! If you aren't a gamer then forget the PS3 on the basis that it's just downright ugly and is reported as being noisy in certain environments.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Steve

As luck would have it, we've got a Supertest of all the latest Blu-ray players from Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony and the like (including PS3) in the new May 08 issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, on sale April 3.

Can't give the results away just yet, but reckon you'll find it fascinating reading!

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Are there any Blu Ray players out now / coming soon that will allow the AV receiver to do the HD audio decoding? Sorry if it's already been covered but I haven't been paying attention lately!

A

Anonymous

Fantastic mate, will be looking forward to that with great interest thankyou!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FoxJA"]Are there any Blu Ray players out now / coming soon that will allow the AV receiver to do the HD audio decoding? Sorry if it's already been covered but I haven't been paying attention lately![/quote]

Panasonic BD30 has no on-board decoder for the newer codecs, that'll be what you are after.

nads

[quote user="nokz"]come on nads face it mate[/quote]

face what?the fact i can buy disc cheaper than BR or DVD? Yes i will be getting a BR player at some time but as the OP has a HD DVD I see no point of, just yet with the current profiles, buying into BR.

A

Anonymous

Do not let bitter HD-DVD fans put you off from investing in Blu Ray. Movies can be got for alot cheaper than RRPs. Keep an eye on amazon deals and there have been plenty of BOGOs and buy 2 get the 3rd free.

V for Vendetta is just up on amazon for $19.95. There are DVDs selling more expensive.

A

Anonymous

lol i am astill a huge fan of HD DVD, and have a significant collection playing on my EP10 which i love, and will continue to do so for many years i suspect; however if certain films now become Bluray only i want the best quality possible, so investing into the format seems a natural progression.

A

Anonymous

Enough with the kvetching, already!!! Look. HD is dead on it's behind and Blu is the one to have going forward. Fact. Yes, Blu discs are expensive (waaaaaayyyy too expensive, actually. Could that be another reason why the format's not *really* taking off with the masses?) and yes there are great deals to be had on HD Discs. Great. Exploit the situation. Use this. Buy cheap. Build up an HD-DVD Collection at a fiver a pop and enjoy it. At the same time support Blu. Buy it. Use it. Develop an economy of scale. Allow the market to produce more and drop prices. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop with either a)hanging on to the past or b)being smug and constantly saying 'I told you so'.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nokz"]blu ray discs are not expensive if one has a decent income[/quote]

I believe that when people say they are expensive, they mean relative to DVD.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stevee1966"]Just did a quick search on Ebay and there are loads of new, sealed, blu ray titles selling at around the £10 mark.[/quote]

And new DVD's can be had for 99p! I sold my Blu-ray discs on e-bay because they didn't function in my player and was glad to be rid of them. I reckon a good few vendors are clearing out a few discs that they get returned because they don't work.

20th Century Fox disc cheap anyone?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nokz"]blu ray discs are not expensive if one has a decent income[/quote]

Income and expense are unrelated. You are confusing income with affordability. Just because I can afford as many as I really want does not make them less expensive, just affordable to me.......and apparently you, but I would still rather buy twice as many HD DVD's for the same money.

Any more Chav comments?

A

Anonymous

OldS since you have no interest in Blu Ray at this time why bother commenting. All I read from you on the subject is negative. I have 3 BD machines, 1 HD-DVD player and over 250 hi-def movies and am fully enjoying the experience. And not one of the BDs have not played in the 3 machines (2 PS3s and 1 Panasonic BD30) i have purchased.

As an early adopter I fully expected there to be more problems than there have been yet there really have been none for me. I understand you have had a disappointing experiance but reading it on every BD thread is becoming tiring.

A

Anonymous

Batman Begins: Limited Edition Blu-ray Gift Set (due 7/8)...

batmanbeginsltdgiftsetbrd.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts