Blu Ray Snob

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
After watching a couple dvds over the weekend I have just realised the dvd format is dead to me. I won't ever buy a dvd again.....long live blu ray, well until the next enhanced format comes along. I doubt I'm the only one who agrees.

Messiah

Whilst BD picture quality is better I am still impressed with the image I get from DVD.

As far as purchasing of these formats is concerned though I am a lot more selective these days as I really only really buy a film I know I will watch a lot. I used to have 100s of DVDs but got rid of loads as I just did not watch them. I am also really happy with the quality from Virgin so I mostly just watch films from the movie channels.

michael hoy

aliEnRIK:
DVDs defiitely not dead to me. Maybe your scaler is poor?

Would agree Rik, only recently put a DVD on and were very impressed with the upscaled PQ, I have some Superbit DVD films and these are quite stunning.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well im totally happy to still use dvds, and as said before it would be an impossible task to replace them for blu-rays not only the cost but the rarity of my region 1 horrors. I still buy many dvds at bootsales and even blu-rays have been showing up lately, but most new releases i get are on blu-ray, unless i do find it for a pound.PQ is an improvement but SQ has the biggest effect and today i even bought some very very rare VHS tapes ive not even seen on dvd or if they are around are fetching upwards of £50.So unless your a money bag or can grow your own cash, then dvd will be around for quite awhile especially as we are having a double dip recession.Supermarkets have a large proportion of sales and blu-rays can still cost upwards of £17.99 so unless they can bring the prices down inline with online prices, many buyers will still go for dvd.Another stumbling block is not everyone has an hd tv .Blu-ray has appealed to the younger generation but it will only appear to the older generation if they phase out dvds leaving you no choice and with high sales of dvds they are not likely to do that for some time yet.

A

Anonymous

It's not dead, if it's a film I really want to buy then I'll get the Blu-Ray version but there are lots of things like series of TV shows only available on DVD and even if they were on Blu-ray which some are I'm not sure i'd be bothered about watching a TV show on DVD unless the Blu-Ray was the same price.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
dirtydean:Ronald Archiebald:

Mattjax05,

I agree.

DVD (even upscaled) simply does not compare to blu-ray for picture and sound quality.

Ronald

2nd that Ronald

Dean

So Band Of Brothers looks rubbish on a decently upscaled dvd?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree with lobby , blu ray sales are climbing up steadily and dvd's are falling . though not all of the dvd sales are falling to blu ray , things like downloaded media is on the increase to

Even the younger genreration aren't bracing blu ray as you would of thought due to costs , most of them i know are downloading illegal content so why would they buy?

I personally think tech will out do itself and even blu ray won't be around that long when you compare it to the dvd and it will be replaced by another format

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Upscaled DVD is still an acceptable format which was raved about not many moons ago before the advent of Bluray.

U2 Rattle and Hum absolute rubbish on Bluray, where picture quality better on VHS surprisingly, whereas Iron Maiden Flight 666 is shot in HD and looks and sounds fantastic on BD.

Another comparison is Bram Stoker Dracula terribly grainy not worth investing in Bluray whereas DVD is softer and less revealing.

I have Harry Potter Philosopher Stone in both formats and I prefer the upscaled DVD version as in certain scenes it looks more natural and I suspects a lot is the way it was captured at the time. I own Heart Alive in Seattle and I chose the DVD format rather than the Bluray as the Bluray would not have done the sisters any justice.

There is nowadays acceptable formats: Upscaled Dvd, 256KBPS, BBC iplayer.

To be honest sometimes you are penalised buying Bluray boxsets compared to DVD when buying ultimate editions so I believe a message should be sent to the studios - stop ripping off Region 2 Buyers otherwise we will not purchase your third class offerings and some sort of campaign needs to be instigated to support this fact.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
shado:
Upscaled DVD is still an acceptable format which was raved about not many moons ago before the advent of Bluray.

U2 Rattle and Hum absolute rubbish on Bluray, where picture quality better on VHS surprisingly, whereas Iron Maiden Flight 666 is shot in HD and looks and sounds fantastic on BD.

Another comparison is Bram Stoker Dracula terribly grainy not worth investing in Bluray whereas DVD is softer and less revealing.

I have Harry Potter Philosopher Stone in both formats and I prefer the upscaled DVD version as in certain scenes it looks more natural and I suspects a lot is the way it was captured at the time. I own Heart Alive in Seattle and I chose the DVD format rather than the Bluray as the Bluray would not have done the sisters any justice.

There is nowadays acceptable formats: Upscaled Dvd, 256KBPS, BBC iplayer.

To be honest sometimes you are penalised buying Bluray boxsets compared to DVD when buying ultimate editions so I believe a message should be sent to the studios - stop ripping off Region 2 Buyers otherwise we will not purchase your third class offerings and some sort of campaign needs to be instigated to support this fact.

I keep suggesting on this forum that new technology makes us more obsessed with picture and sound quality and less interested in other artistic factors... I know, as professed audio/technophiles, that we always made value judgements about quality in technological terms, but as technology advances (I think) this only heightens this obsession.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK:dirtydean:Ronald Archiebald:

Mattjax05,

I agree.

DVD (even upscaled) simply does not compare to blu-ray for picture and sound quality.

Ronald

2nd that Ronald

Dean

So Band Of Brothers looks rubbish on a decently upscaled dvd?

I was ok, but I sold my dvd and bought blu-ray insted.
Dean

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
nope - DVD is not dead. The real proof of this would be if people were rushing out and replacing all their DVD's with blu ray versions..which they are not.

Once HD downloading movies really takes off -blu ray will be dead

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
staggerlee:Once HD downloading movies really takes off -blu ray will be dead

Only once everyone in the biggest markets (like the USA) have ultra fast and reliable broadband connections. (Dial-up speeds are still a reality for a large percentage of people outside of major connurbations in the USA.)

Even here in the UK only a minority of people have reliable speeds over 2mbps. Many have far less. (The 'Digital Britain' report suggested a 2012 target that everyone in the UK should get at least 2meg but this has been dropped due to costs and impracticality and the axing of the proposed 50p per month per landline Broadband levy in the 'emergency budget'.)
Disc based media will remain popular until most people have access to the very high internet speeds required for fast and reliable downloading of HD movies. (Many people still have monthly download limits imposed on them by their ISPs that would make frequent HD downloads either impossible or very expensive.)

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I say each to their own,if you happy with dvd then enjoy it on the gear you own,i still use dvd/hd-dvd/blu-ray.I can see some big diffrences when comparing.for me i still really have a soft spot for hd-dvd love the format.I do smile at all this upscaling thing.Its not going to make your dvd's hd..all its doing is fitting the panel of your tv end of.To get true 1080p pictures its only on blu-ray and hd-dvd.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Very little mention of the content here.

What if a favourite film happens to only be available on DVD? Throw it out?

We had lunch in a 2 Michelin star restaurant once. (A mad moment that cost me dear but have never regretted the experience.)

Despite being incredible, did it spoil us for ham egg & chips? Or a home-made chicken soup? Or eating out in any 'lesser' restaurant ever again?

Of course not.

Sliced Bread

mattjax05:aliEnRIK:

Pioneer BDP-320.

I have one of these. It's not a good DVD player. Not a patch on my old Denon. It produces a noisy and blocky picture with washed out colours. I was watching the The lord of the rings trillogy over the weekend and could not believe how poor the picture is.

It's superb with bluray though
emotion-1.gif

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I can see tech going 2 ways , one will be the die hard fans of true HD that will buy the blu ray and pay the premium for things like sky HD

The other will be using things like BBC iplayer . skyplayer and streamed movies of lovefilm & apple were the quality is ok but not a touch on blu ray and those who have fast enough broadband will use the higher quality options

For me its the second option

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:mattjax05:aliEnRIK:

Pioneer BDP-320.

I have one of these. It's not a good DVD player. Not a patch on my old Denon. It produces a noisy and blocky picture with washed out colours. I was watching the The lord of the rings trillogy over the weekend and could not believe how poor the picture is.

emotion-1.gif

I watched the trilogy a few months back on my Sony S370. They looked fantastic on it

Sliced Bread

aliEnRIK:Sliced Bread:mattjax05:aliEnRIK:

Pioneer BDP-320.

emotion-1.gif

I watched the trilogy a few months back on my Sony S370. They looked fantastic on it

That's it...rub it in
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts