Blu Ray Snob

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:chebby:Or a home-made chicken soup?

mmmm soup

Oh stop it, I'm starving and I won't be eating for another 2 and a half hours!

Hmmm, Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup (original recipe not the updated one that had too much onion powder in it), with a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich dunked in it, hmmmmmm....

Sliced Bread

aliEnRIK:
Sliced Bread:

That's it...rub it in
emotion-5.gif

I couldnt resist
emotion-4.gif

Why I oughta....
emotion-1.gif

http://www.jewcy.com/files/images/yosemitesam.mid-size.jpg

A

Anonymous

staggerlee:

Once HD downloading movies really takes off -blu ray will be dead

I still think there is something nice about having a collection whether its Blu-rays, DVD,s or CD's

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup (original recipe not the updated one that had too much onion powder in it), with a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich dunked in it, hmmmmmm....

Campbells? Hmm. You misunderstand me when I say homemade chicken soup. I mean soup that contains 6 boned chicken thighs and has onion, swede, leek, mushroom, carrot and potato and garlic in it. (With dumplings on top rather than jam sandwiches.)

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
DVD is great still. The Star Wars films looked loads better scaled on my Panny than they did on ITV HD over the summer. I don't buy any full price DVD's anymore but i always look for the films that i haven't yet seen that are available for £3 -£5. Recently got Role Models and Tropic Thunder. Tropic Thunder is absolutely horrific but at £3 i could live with it, at £20 BD id have been right upset!

Also, as most new DVD films are of a very high quality they scale brilliantly. Still buy my favourites on BD but also use Sky Box Office a lot. Quality varies but i recently watched Clash of the Titans HD, story was patchy but the picture was incredible for £4 rental. If you save the film instead of play you can watch anytime over the next 7 days.

DVD scaling could be reviewed to a greater extend in magazine though. Its almost, oh it scales.Pro-Logic 2 decoding could be mentioned more as well in reciever reviews as im pretty sure all of us watch films from TV. I find my Sony reciever a little harsh sometimes but it is absolutley brilliant in Pro-Logic 2 or Neo 6. Great for Wii and Dolby Surround TV programmes.

A

Anonymous

For me the BluRay film choice is just too limited, as a classic and world cinema enthusiast.

Also I am most interested in the content than PQ and watch lots of films, so would prefer to buy several DVDs instead of one BluRay.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP I'm afraid. Once you start on a regular diet of HD material, going back to SD makes you feel like you've cheated yourself.

I have a very good quality scaler, and it does a terrific job of scaling DVD's, which I still watch regularly, but they still don't look a patch on a Blu-ray.

The HD sound too is worlds apart. I hear surround effects and details in movie soundtracks that I have never heard before.

It all adds up to a much more involving movie watching experience in my humble opinion.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can't get into the same mindset.

It's like saying you can't enjoy a black & white film once you have seen colour, or you could never enjoy something on your car radio or a portable because your home stereo is so superior.

I cannot believe some people are so driven by picture quality and effects alone that they can never watch a great movie on DVD again. (Even to the point of selling/dumping them.)

What about all the great films and series that are not (and may never be) available on BluRay?

Will the same happen when you all get 3D? You will only watch movies that have been made for 3D and sell all the 2D ones?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I think the source material makes a tremendous difference too.

I was watching Dr Who series 3 last night and the (upscaled) PQ was stunning. Merlin, by comparison is really "soft" PQ.

Sone BD discs have poorer PQ. I remember being really disappointed with Close Encounters

Sound though, that to me is where BD really wins!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I can't get into the same mindset.
It's like saying you can't enjoy a black & white film once you have seen colour, or you could never enjoy something on your car radio or a portable because your home stereo is so superior.

I suppose you can draw that analogy, but it doesn't quite work. For black and white films, I already have a few on Blu-Ray which I wouldn't watch on DVD for a simple reason - the picture and sound are better on Blu-Ray. And in the car, if I had a choice of two formats and one was clearly superior for sound, I wouldn't use the other one. It's not the same therefore because I can't carry my home stereo around in my car so that choice isn't there, whereas in my living room I do have a choice between Blu-Ray and DVD.

chebby:I cannot believe some people are so driven by picture quality and effects alone that they can never watch a great movie on DVD again. (Even to the point of selling/dumping them.)

I haven't quite said that and I do occasionally watch great films on DVD which aren't on Blu-Ray. However, my Blu-Ray collection is now over 200 titles (almost catching up with DVD), all of them obviously in my opinion great titles otherwise I wouldn't own them and I therefore find I watch far more Blu-Rays than DVDs for that reason. Why keep the 300 odd DVDs I have if I never want to watch them? I won't sell them all, but I will offload most of them, the same as I did with VHS once my DVD collection had outgrown it and rarely got watched.

chebby:What about all the great films and series that are not (and may never be) available on BluRay?

Then I would keep the DVDs and watch them on the occasions I want to watch those titles. Probably quite rare occasions though. Again, the same as I have with VHS in the past.

chebby:Will the same happen when you all get 3D? You will only watch movies that have made for 3D and sell all the 2D ones?

I have no interest in 3D in its current form in the home at this time. However, if they do get to a point where the technology improves my viewing experience to the same extent Blu-Ray has over DVD, then yes, my mindset would probably gradually change over to 3D films as my collection grew to the point where I had my favourite films in this format.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What worries me is this attitude extending to the television programme makers.

I fear that the clamour for having everything in HD will result in more money having to be spent on less varied content and only the big money makers/crowd pleasers like 'Strictly Come dancing' or hackneyed period costume dramas (that sell well abroad) getting all the cash.

Programmes that don't merit the full HD (or 3D) treatment simply won't be made because of the expense necessary to keep an HD hungry audience from switching over to find something that looks better.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
What worries me is this attitude extending to the television programme makers.

I fear that the clamour for having everything in HD will result in more money having to be spent on less varied content and only the big money makers/crowd pleasers like 'Strictly Come dancing' or hackneyed period costume dramas (that sell well abroad) getting all the cash.

Programmes that don't merit the full HD (or 3D) treatment simply won't be made because of the expense necessary to keep an HD hungry audience from switching over to find something that looks better.

Certainly won't happen from a BBC point of view, they've been filming everything in HD for a good few years already, replacing cameras with HD models should just be part of every TV makers on-going hardware upgrade cycle.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
For me it's all about the content on the disc and not how sharp the picture may or may not be, don't get me wrong I allways look to find the best quality transfer of a movie that I can but far to often on these and other forums do I read of people watching rubbish like the recent "Clash of the Titans" remake going on that the PQ was stunning on BD even tho the film is awfull, so suddenly your watching a movie just for the PQ and not the content....hmmm not for me!

I own in excess of 4000 DVDs and around 100 BDs, many of the DVDs I own have little or no chance of making it onto BD due to them not being big US backed blockbusters but does this mean I enjoy watching them on a DVD less just because I know IF they were on BD they may look better? Most also would not benifit from BDs sound as they are in MONO. But the fact is I would rather sit down and watch my DVD copy of Argento's classic "DEEP RED" than I would the latest BD of "HOT TUB TIME MACHINE" just because the PQ may be better as PQ alone a good movie does not make!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:But the fact is I would rather sit down and watch my DVD copy of Argento's classic "DEEP RED" than I would the latest BD of "HOT TUB TIME MACHINE" just because the PQ may be better as PQ alone a good movie does not make!!!

LOL

Hear hear!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:But the fact is I would rather sit down and watch my DVD copy of Argento's classic "DEEP RED" than I would the latest BD of "HOT TUB TIME MACHINE" just because the PQ may be better as PQ alone a good movie does not make!!!

I completely agree.

However, having said that, I wouldn't necessarily always watch something which is regarded as "a classic". I may be a Blu-Ray snob, but I'm not a film snob and may well choose to sometimes watch something like Deep Blue Sea or Zombieland instead of The Godfather or No Country for Old Men (much as I love those films) as sometimes I just want to have a laugh and relax.

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:
For me it's all about the content on the disc and not how sharp the picture may or may not be, don't get me wrong I allways look to find the best quality transfer of a movie that I can but far to often on these and other forums do I read of people watching rubbish like the recent "Clash of the Titans" remake going on that the PQ was stunning on BD even tho the film is awfull, so suddenly your watching a movie just for the PQ and not the content....hmmm not for me!

I own in excess of 4000 DVDs and around 100 BDs, many of the DVDs I own have little or no chance of making it onto BD due to them not being big US backed blockbusters but does this mean I enjoy watching them on a DVD less just because I know IF they were on BD they may look better? Most also would not benifit from BDs sound as they are in MONO. But the fact is I would rather sit down and watch my DVD copy of Argento's classic "DEEP RED" than I would the latest BD of "HOT TUB TIME MACHINE" just because the PQ may be better as PQ alone a good movie does not make!!!
good post dj
emotion-21.gif

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I keep suggesting on this forum that new technology makes us more obsessed with picture and sound quality and less interested in other artistic factors... I know, as professed audio/technophiles, that we always made value judgements about quality in technological terms, but as technology advances (I think) this only heightens this obsession.

An excellent point Strapped for Cash and I have enjoyed watching the movie on whatever format over the years, but there are times when BD cannot justify the higher price when there is no obvious improvement.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:
professorhat: Deep Blue Sea or Zombieland

Both classic films in my opinion
emotion-1.gif

You must be a Lake Placid fan too! One of my favourite films of all time
emotion-2.gif

Now you're talking! Classic film!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
shado:An excellent point and I have enjoyed watching the movie on whatever format over the years, but there are times when BD cannot justify the higher price when there is no obvious improvement.

Of course, and the reason why I vet most of my purchases by hiring them through Lovefilm first. And I also rarely spend more than £10 on a Blu-Ray - I have to really like the film to justify spending more than that.

Sliced Bread

the_lhc:Sliced Bread:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

At least someone here has good taste
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:the_lhc:Sliced Bread:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

At least someone here has good taste
emotion-1.gif

Bet you never thought it would be me though did you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts