Blu Ray Snob

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

the_lhc:Sliced Bread:the_lhc:Sliced Bread:
professorhat: Deep Blue Sea or Zombieland

Both classic films in my opinion
emotion-1.gif

You must be a Lake Placid fan too! One of my favourite films of all time
emotion-2.gif

Now you're talking! Classic film!

At least someone here has good taste
emotion-1.gif

Bet you never thought it would be me though did you?

You know your films the_lhc, you know your films.
emotion-5.gif

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I think some members have misunderstood my initial post. I would never substitute a great movie on DVD for a terrible movie on blu-ray just for the PQ, that's silly. And I intend on keeping some of my DVD titles as they are either not worthy of a blu-ray upgrage (transfer is poor) or they rarely get a watch and can't justity the blu-ray price. What I WILL do in future is watch all new releases in blu-ray. Two ways of doing this - 1) rent 2) buy new. If you do the latter you can always flog them on Ebay if you know the film is not a keeper. I have done this a few times and only lost a couple quid per disc (cheaper than renting!)

My system is geared for blu-ray. The whole purpose of investing time and money to buy home cinema equipment is to get the absolute best for your budget and unfortunately even in my modest setup a DVD as the source would by far be the weakest link.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
mattjax05:

Two ways of doing this - 1) rent 2) buy new. If you do the latter you can always flog them on Ebay if you know the film is not a keeper. I have done this a few times and only lost a couple quid per disc (cheaper than renting!)

emotion-21.gif

F

FunkyMonkey

michael hoy:aliEnRIK:

DVDs defiitely not dead to me. Maybe your scaler is poor?

Would agree Rik, only recently put a DVD on and were very impressed with the upscaled PQ, I have some Superbit DVD films and these are quite stunning.

Fair point, but you do understand that Superbit was a con? They re-released DVD's in higher bit-rates to get money out of video-philes when they could have given you that "superbit" quality on the first release. I think it was Paramount who did this. If you compare their bit-rates to bit-rates from other studios, the bit-rates compare well for the non-superbit titles.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've never had a single moment where I haven't thought DVD PQ was anything but stunning. I really don't see the need for it to be any better. Would it increase my enjoyment? No. Is it dodgy? No. Is a film all about the effects? I wouldn't know as I don't tend to watch a film for effects, as long as the story is good.

I was going to buy a BDP but I can't find one that I want in silver that does LoveFilm streaming. Think I may get the new Apple TV instead. Quite why I would want to see Finding Nemo or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in even higher resolution than DVD is anyone's guess. Likewise HD tellies, why? I have a 42" HD Ready and it is wonderful, absolutely spot on.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I agree, I have quite a few blurays

But I've been more impressed with some of my DVD's that are remastered in high defintion transfer than the blu

From Beyond (Stu Gordon) looks amazing on dvd and thats a low budget 80's horror, plus any criterion collection dvd that i also have

It looks bloody amazing streched on a 80 inch projector screen, on a hd ready projector....

Though the future is downloading....not blu, 3D etc

But i will always have a soft spot for my DVD's...., plus i still hate the blu cases, bloody horrible, except the Criterion Collection Blurays

A

Anonymous

I would agree with you on choosing to watch deep red over hot tub time machine but i own "Deep Red" on DVD and still have my original VHS of it on fletcher video ( because the vhs has an extra scene) but all Argentos films are getting the Blu-ray treatment and Deep red will be one of the films i will buy on Blu-ray along with Tenebrae and Inferno. Would you not upgrade your copy of A classic if you new the picture quality would improve? I understand the issue with sound mono turned into 5.1 never quite works!

tlspuds

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only DVD I've watched since getting my Denon AVR2310 a couple of weeks back is the 1st LOTR. While the picture was perfectly acceptable I found the sound shockingly bad. It was flat and dull and I knew I was missing out badly on HD audio from a Blu Ray.

Irritated the hell out of me while watching because I kept thinking about what it would be like from the Blu Ray when fireworks exploded, trees were ripped up, etc

Finding it hard to accept DVD sound more than DVD pictures!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey:michael hoy:aliEnRIK:

DVDs defiitely not dead to me. Maybe your scaler is poor?

Would agree Rik, only recently put a DVD on and were very impressed with the upscaled PQ, I have some Superbit DVD films and these are quite stunning.

Fair point, but you do understand that Superbit was a con? They re-released DVD's in higher bit-rates to get money out of video-philes when they could have given you that "superbit" quality on the first release. I think it was Paramount who did this. If you compare their bit-rates to bit-rates from other studios, the bit-rates compare well for the non-superbit titles.

It's only a con if a) they charged more for them and b) people bought both versions. I bought a few Superbit DVDs but never of anything I already owned. I preferred them, not least because they usually did away with all the extras that I never bothered watching.

A

Anonymous

The vast majority of people I know don't care about blu-ray,they just see it as an expensive DVD and that goes for most the PS3 owners as well.
I'll rent/buy blu-ray if I can but DVD's fine as long as the contents good.

A

Anonymous

manicm:I have the Blu-ray LOTR, and I've heard some nitpicking about them, but make no mistake - there is simply no comparison with the DVDs. Get the Blu-rays now.

So tempting, as would love to watch these (especially the opening) with the HD soundtracks, but I'm waiting for the extended edition. I'm fighting temptation though!

A

Anonymous

tlspuds:
The only DVD I've watched since getting my Denon AVR2310 a couple of weeks back is the 1st LOTR. While the picture was perfectly acceptable I found the sound shockingly bad. It was flat and dull and I knew I was missing out badly on HD audio from a Blu Ray.

Irritated the hell out of me while watching because I kept thinking about what it would be like from the Blu Ray when fireworks exploded, trees were ripped up, etc

Must admit, that was my experience last weekend. When LOTR first came out on DVD the sound was pure demo material, however while still good for DVD it just doesn't compare with many bluray releases. Can't wait to watch in on BD!

I can still enjoy the film, but I do feel like I'm missing out when I know that I could be watching it in higher quality.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:tlspuds:

Must admit, that was my experience last weekend. When LOTR first came out on DVD the sound was pure demo material, however while still good for DVD it just doesn't compare with many bluray releases. Can't wait to watch in on BD!

I can still enjoy the film, but I do feel like I'm missing out when I know that I could be watching it in higher quality.
I watched Star Trek XI blu-ray followed by The Two Towers DVD last weekend. Although I will certainly be buying the extended edition LOTR blu-rays, I thought that The Two Towers with its DTS soundtrack stood up very well in comparison.

Sliced Bread

I wouldn't ever call any of the LOTR trilogy soundtracks, dull and lifeless as I still really enjoy them. However when watching them I know that there is a better sounding copy out there and that plays on my mind
emotion-5.gif

Maybe me and my ilk are fruit-loops
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts