Bizarre electrics

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Any electrical experts out there? I have a rather bizarre problem with my Cyrus CD player. It will play disks when connected to some mains sockets in the house but not others. I suspect that all the sockets on one ring main are causing the CD player to malfunction. Could this be a fault with this circuit? All my other hi-fi components seem fine but I've tried the CD player on different sockets many times and the results are consistent...

A

Anonymous

when you say it doesnt play...does the CDP power up?

I have found that with some of the newer plugs which only have about 1/3rd of the L/N pins are metal....sometimes they fail to make contact with the connections inside the socket.

get a short extension lead with a plug that has full L/N pins and plug into that.....see what happens.

This is starting to happen more often with newer equipment.

Let us know what happens

A

Anonymous

Do yourself a quick test.
Get a drill or any other handheld mains power device that you know works A OK.
Plug it in each socket and switch it on for a few seconds.
If the unit works in each socket independantly with no problems, then agreed with Andrew, it's a throw back to Cyrus.

If not, change your sockets and try again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I guess it could just be an internal problem with the player which is being affected when it's moved, but since the OP says the phenomenon is repeatable, that seems unlikely.

Is the ring on which the 'no go' sockets are located used for anything likely to be putting a lot of noise on the mains - such as a fridge, industrial lathe or Large Hadron Collider - ?
emotion-4.gif

If so, it could just be that mains pollution is affecting the player, in which case a mains noise filter might make the difference - at the risk of opening that old can o'worms.

I think a conversation with Cyrus is still the best bet...

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys

When I say that the player won't play discs I mean it shows NO DISC when I put a CD in. I have a whole host of other AV components that are working fine from the same sockets, so there's not an obvious problem with the sockets. I've also been using a Tacima plug bar so one would think that would filter out any mains-borne interference (and yes I have tried it without the plug-bar).

In terms of throwing it back to Cyrus, they have had two attempts at fixing it recently. Both times they say it is fine after the repair, but it still doesn't work for me. After the most recent repair I took it back to the hi-fi shop that has sent it back to Cyrus for me. They tested it in-store and it played every disc perfectly - so how can I prove that there is still a fault if I can't replicate it?

A

Anonymous

jgw911:
Thanks guys

When I say that the player won't play discs I mean it shows NO DISC when I put a CD in. I have a whole host of other AV components that are working fine from the same sockets, so there's not an obvious problem with the sockets. I've also been using a Tacima plug bar so one would think that would filter out any mains-borne interference (and yes I have tried it without the plug-bar).

In terms of throwing it back to Cyrus, they have had two attempts at fixing it recently. Both times they say it is fine after the repair, but it still doesn't work for me. After the most recent repair I took it back to the hi-fi shop that has sent it back to Cyrus for me. They tested it in-store and it played every disc perfectly - so how can I prove that there is still a fault if I can't replicate it?

Problematic... I think you need to push them again though. It's hardly as if there are no precedents for Cyrus players having disk problems judging by the number of comments to that effect on these forums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts