Bias setting for Rega RB700

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Having just got rid of my P2, which forum user Chebby kindly set up for me, I have now a Rega P7 with RB700 arm, the dealer I bought it from (ex dem) said it was set up. Whilst reading the manual I saw the Bias slide was set to 0 instead of 1.75 to match the tracking force as recommended in the manual.

I seem to recall Chebby setting the anti skate to 0 also but cant remember why.

The deck plays fine (damn fine actually), but I dont want to wreck my cartridge or lp's so which would you set it at 0 or 1.75 (well it will be about 1.5 because the rb700 only has two marks on the shaft one and two gram)

thanks in advance

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My experience of RB250 and RB300 arms has always found the bias very 'enthusiastic', so I found (with experiment) that a bias setting of half the tracking weight - or even less - worked best.

I actually experienced mis-tracking a few times when the bias was set 'correctly' according to the instructions!

I really can't say if the same extends to the more expensive (higher precision) Rega arms like the RB700.

Interesting that the dealer left yours on zero bias. Give him a call tomorrow and see if he actually set it to zero for optimum playback results, or had set it to zero when packing it for transit.

The RB301 on my friend's P3-24 has the 'plunger' style bias scale (rather than the old slot and slider) and he had to set the bias very low with both Elys 2 and DL103R cartridges.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
thanks Chebby, mine is the plunger type with only two marks on it 1g and 2g so I have set it at 1g for tonight. Have emailed dealer already. Message me in FB and we can organise your "demo"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts