Rega Planar 1 Cartridge

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
The instruction manual for this rega (Planar 1, 2016) at 2 sides of a vinyl record is laughable.

How do I change the cartridge of the Planar 1 if I wanted to? I don't even know it's tracking force. There's no protactor with the box.

Anti-Skate?
Bias?
VTA?
Tracking weight?
Others?

I've heard that the cartridge that comes with this Rega Planar 1 isn't standard, meaning that it goes deeper (or something like that) than other cartridge. So I'm assuming I would need more weight at the back.

PS. Where's Chebby?

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

I am sorry that you consider the instructions "laughable" out of the tens of thousands we have sold worldwide yours is the only negative comment I have personally heard.

The Planar 1 turntable is a deliberately "plug and play" design and the Rega Carbon Cartridge that is pre-fitted tracks at 1.75 grams when the couterweight is pushed against the collar on the stub, the anti skate is automatically biased to accomodate and the VTA is correct. If you wanted to change the cartridge that is your perogative and playing weight can then be set using a stylus pressure gauge. If the cartridge is non Rega then it may be necessary to insert shims underneath the 3 point mount at the back of the arm if the cartridge chosen is deeper (Ortofon for example)

Any competent dealer should be happy to assist you if you require help and would no doubt set up the turntable for you if you have purchased the cartridge from them.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I do not mean to tarnish the reputation of Rega in the slightest, I understand that it was built for 'plug and play'. But still a small slim manual with the information you have provided me, would have been great. Essentially I want to know more about the product after I've purchased it, more than what was covered in the two sided sheet.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
It might also be an indiosyncrasy of mine, where I expect to read pages upon pages of user manual to ensure perfect conditions.

But see, your second paragraph would be great in a booklet, because eventually the cartridge would need to be replaced, and that info would be wonderful.

It should also be pointed out that Rega's minimalistic approach, small bucks for big values, must be applauded. At the same time it means that Rega turntables are unique from other brands. Therefore generic tutorials on the internet on modification would need tweaking to fit the Rega.

So a user manual or at least something downloadable from Rega's page would be great, so that the user can know the way things work.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

No offence taken, just trying to help !!

At Rega we believe that the dealer is key constituent in getting the best out of any system so would refer any end user to their local, franchised and trained Rega dealer for any assistance they might need.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Priam,

No offence taken, just trying to help !!

At Rega we believe that the dealer is key constituent in getting the best out of any system so would refer any end user to their local, franchised and trained Rega dealer for any assistance they might need.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

What if you buy online? I've tweaked my RP1 using common sense and intuition over the last couple of years as there are no in depth instructions that come with the tt and having bought new from ebay there was no 'dealer' to advise me. Not a massive problem just adding to what the op was saying.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The instructions that come with the Planar 1 are designed to get you up and running and playing vinyl.

However, if, for example, you choose to change the cartridge that is where the dealers advice, set up experience and expertise would come in.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
PS. Where's Chebby?

Here.

Back in the day (in my case November 1983 and my first RB300 Planar 3) Rega provided instructions in the form of an A3 sized poster (excerpts below) along with a card protractor ...

C7XEE7eX0AAXD4W.jpg

C7XEF_-X0AAed7I.jpg

My last Rega TT (a 2008 vintage P2) came with less 'artistic' instructions ...

Your P1 was designed to be used by people who'd never want anything (literally) 'outside the box' and thus has the appropriate level of instructions.

chebby said:
priam said:
PS. Where's Chebby?

Here.

Back in the day (in my case November 1983 and my first RB300 Planar 3) Rega provided instructions in the form of an A3 sized poster (excerpts below) along with a card protractor ...

My last Rega TT (a 2008 vintage P2) came with less 'artistic' instructions ...

Your P1 was designed to be used by people who'd never want anything (literally) 'outside the box' and thus has the appropriate level of instructions.

That first picture takes me back.

chebby said:
Al ears said:

Yes, if only to see that the original RB300 had a tungsten counterweight as standard!

With my second Planar 3 (1996 special order in 'Sky Blue') I had to order the tungsten counterweight as an 'optional extra'.

You can still get one apparently.

Ouch, £70? Sign of the times. My RB300 also had standard tungsten weight.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:

Me too, although I got my PLanar 2 second-hand about 15 years ago, and still going strong... (I've passed it on to a friend now I've upgraded to the RP3).

I agree that a sentence on the user instructions making it absolutely clear that there is no need to do any further adjustments to set up the arm/cartridge would be reassuring - reading that sheet (link here) left me feeling that I wouldn't be assured that things were set up correctly.

Even if it's plug-and-play, a short explanation like the one in Paul's first reply to this thread would give users the information so that they can double-check everything is as it should be, or set it up again if it gets knocked about during a house move etc. I imagine that for a lot of us, it's hard to believe that a hi-fi turntable can be so plug-and-play and not need fine adjustments, so there would be no harm in spelling that out more clearly in the user guide.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Of course there is YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpTmaBcUIs

Come on Rega, instructions on YouTube please.

(There is a video of Paul Darwin talking about the P1 on YouTube but it's not an instruction video.)

The 2017 way to fix this issue would be to put a version of Paul's reply on their website as an FAQ for Planar 1 users. Or maybe a Rarely AQ, given Paul's reply!

Q. Suppose I want to change the cartridge on my Planar 1?

A. The Planar 1 turntable is a deliberately "plug and play" design and the Rega Carbon Cartridge that is pre-fitted tracks at 1.75 grams when the couterweight is pushed against the collar on the stub, the anti skate is automatically biased to accomodate, and the VTA is correct. If you want to change the cartridge then the playing weight can then be set using a stylus pressure gauge. If the cartridge is non Rega then it may be necessary to insert shims underneath the 3 point mount at the back of the arm if the cartridge chosen is deeper (an Ortofon, for example). Any competent dealer should be happy to assist you if you require help and would no doubt set up the turntable for you if you have purchased the cartridge from them.

priam said:
Thank you NoPiano for understanding my predicament.

With regards to Youtube, there's a lot of information out there regarding the RP1. There is less however, on the Rega Planar 1. Such lack of videos does not inspire confidence, especially seeing that the Planar 1 is almost a year old.

The set-up of Rega turntables is similar in all respects apart, sometimes for the tonearm. Videos that apply to one can be easily utilised for another.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you NoPiano for understanding my predicament.

With regards to Youtube, there's a lot of information out there regarding the RP1. There is less however, on the Rega Planar 1. Such lack of videos does not inspire confidence, especially seeing that the Planar 1 is almost a year old.

​​I'm new to the turntable game. if I decide on a new cartridge, say a year or so from now, would the anti-skate still be automatically biased, or do I need to tweak it?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm new to the turntable game. if I decide on a new cartridge, say a year or so from now, would the anti-skate still be automatically biased, or do I need to tweak it?

Does Rega does not realize that the user need to change the cartridge, every once in a while...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I really think you are buying the wrong turntable for you. Even before purchase you are planning for cartridges from different brands.

I'd suggest buying a model/brand that allows for all of the adjustments (and more) that you are curious about and has the kind of comprehensive set-up instructions/education you crave.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
It's not that I'm looking at cartridges from different brands already, but I know that one day I would eventually have to change it. And well, it'd be nice to have the information, heck I might even stick to Rega Cartridges, but I still don't know if I need to tweak things or not.

Can you advise on bias, antiskate setup.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Priam,

I am sorry that you consider the instructions "laughable" out of the tens of thousands we have sold worldwide yours is the only negative comment I have personally heard.

The Planar 1 turntable is a deliberately "plug and play" design and the Rega Carbon Cartridge that is pre-fitted tracks at 1.75 grams when the couterweight is pushed against the collar on the stub, the anti skate is automatically biased to accomodate and the VTA is correct. If you wanted to change the cartridge that is your perogative and playing weight can then be set using a stylus pressure gauge. If the cartridge is non Rega then it may be necessary to insert shims underneath the 3 point mount at the back of the arm if the cartridge chosen is deeper (Ortofon for example)

Any competent dealer should be happy to assist you if you require help and would no doubt set up the turntable for you if you have purchased the cartridge from them.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

What are shims, where and what is the "3 point mount". It seems to be a specific term which would've came in handy with a user manual.

Paul please consider adding some details to the Rega Planar 1 page, for users to understand or know their products better.

I understand it was designed as "plug and play", but before buying my first Turntable I searched every bit of the internet for information. While the plug and play certainly helps in taking away most of the problems, it also means that most of what I've read is irrelevant. Which is great. But then which bit of information do I need to worry about.

There is no video to guide us through changing the cartridge for the Rega, which is highly crucial, in my opinion, due to the tonearm of Rega's being different from other brands. The only guide I have found is this one Link

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The 3 point mount is how the arm is fastened to the plinth. If you look at the base of the arm you will see 3 screws. If you do purchase a cartridge other than a Rega you will need to undo these screws and insert a shim between the plinth and the arm before refitting the screws. Rega do the shim as well as other after market company's. http://www.rega.co.uk/2mm-spacer-black.html

If I were you I'd probably take the turntable to a reputable dealer and get them to do it

Troy62 said:
The 3 point mount is how the arm is fastened to the plinth. If you look at the base of the arm you will see 3 screws. If you do purchase a cartridge other than a Rega you will need to undo these screws and insert a shim between the plinth and the arm before refitting the screws. Rega do the shim as well as other after market company's. http://www.rega.co.uk/2mm-spacer-black.html

If I were you I'd probably take the turntable to a reputable dealer and get them to do it

This is correct. However I am unsure if the OP actually owns this turntable or is thinking of getting one. By the sound of it he is pretty unsure how to work on turntables so your advice about a dealer is good.

If he wants to modified the deck at some point in the future then the Rega is probably not the best starting point.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Troy62 said:

This is correct. However I am unsure if the OP actually owns this turntable or is thinking of getting one. By the sound of it he is pretty unsure how to work on turntables so your advice about a dealer is good.

If he wants to modified the deck at some point in the future then the Rega is probably not the best starting point.

I know what you mean having re-read the op but I assumed he'd bought the turntable as he was unhappy with the contents of the user manual *unknw*

TRENDING THREADS