Rega Planar 1 Cartridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Troy62 said:
Al ears said:
Troy62 said:
The 3 point mount is how the arm is fastened to the plinth. If you look at the base of the arm you will see 3 screws. If you do purchase a cartridge other than a Rega you will need to undo these screws and insert a shim between the plinth and the arm before refitting the screws. Rega do the shim as well as other after market company's. http://www.rega.co.uk/2mm-spacer-black.html

If I were you I'd probably take the turntable to a reputable dealer and get them to do it

This is correct. However I am unsure if the OP actually owns this turntable or is thinking of getting one. By the sound of it he is pretty unsure how to work on turntables so your advice about a dealer is good.

If he wants to modified the deck at some point in the future then the Rega is probably not the best starting point.

I know what you mean having re-read the op but I assumed he'd bought the turntable as he was unhappy with the contents of the user manual *unknw*

Very true... he must already own it. Pity.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the OP does already own it. The OP considers the Rega Planar 1 as the best bang for the buck TT. The OP is frustrated with the lack of details or instructions for further modifications or acessory changes.

priam said:
Yes, the OP does already own it. The OP considers the Rega Planar 1 as the best bang for the buck TT. The OP is frustrated with the lack of details or instructions for further modifications or acessory changes.

Bang for bucks I agree with but if you bought it with future modifications in mind and don't know how to make them then it is probably best if a dealer makes these for you when the time comes.

I can understand Regas position in that most of these turntables are going to be used as-is otherwise why would you buy a package. Also most of those who intended to modify them in the future could probably do so without the need for further instructions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
We used to have to set-up our cartridge alignment, tracking downforce etc. etc. without much in the way of manufacturer assistance. Of course, back then, almost everyone owned a turntable and there were books on the subject and useful essays in mags. If your new turntable came with a 'freebie' cartridge it was generally in the 'odds & sods' drawer by the end of the day and a new Shure/Grado/Ortofon (or whatever) fitted instead. It's what differentiated you from an ordinary 'punter' and gave a grateful hifi shop a liitle more 'margin'.* Hi-fi shops sold an assortment of different scales and protractors and their packaging contained useful info too.

* You got noticeably better service if you bought a decent non-freebie cartridge, steel hex bolts with allen key, protractor, scales, headphones, speaker stands (often with castor wheels back then), Target turntable table, QED 79 strand. Even if you didn't go back for a while, they'd still remember you next time! :) (In hindsight for being a bit of a 'mug' probably but care of the details would still make your 'first system' blow away your mate's that was bought as a 'stack system' from a discount warehouse, still had the transit bolt secured, and the headshell sporting a 1p coin and blutack until you'd set it up for him!)

matthewpiano

Even with more comprehensive instructions, some inexperienced owners will still make errors that can potentially cause damage to arm, cartridge, and/or vinyl. This is why a relationship with a good dealer is important, and why Paul's/Rega's response is entirely correct. Quite apart from anything else, there is a limit to how far you would want to go with a cartridge upgrade on a Planar 1 and a point where moving up to a Planar 3 or even higher would yield bigger improvements, and a good dealer will have the experience to properly advise if they feel you reach this stage.

If you are new to good quality vinyl replay, I would suggest enjoying what you have and building your collection for a good time. Then, once your collection and experience are both established, you can consider with a good dealer whether it's time to upgrade the cartridge or move up the turntable range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts