Distortion on my beloved RP3!

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

About a year ago I purchased my first TT, Rega RP3 with Ely2. It was setup expertly by the dealer, and I just took it home all assembled. It worked fine. Till now :-(

As of late, I am getting distortions when I am listening to my records. Its not just one record, and it's very pronunced towards the END of the record (the last bit) and it's very obvious when listening to vocal tracks.

I tried adjusting the "bias adjustment" (pulled it all the way towards me), and "the tracking force control" is set to 0 (the white line is at 90 degrees, i.e parallel to the table). Since that didnt stop the distortion I tried adjusting these levels.No luck.

What else can I do? I clen the stylus every time after I play.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like IGD - Inner Groove Distortion!

I have had it on a few records!

Keep the tracking weight at 1.75, just adjust the bias slider - start at 0 first moving up in increments of .25 - I have by bias set at 1.0

Perhaps you could start afresh and re balance the arm again, set your tracking weight to 1.75g than your bias in small increments.

Hold old is your Elys in hours?

hope this helps!

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Sounds like IGD - Inner Groove Distortion!

I have had it on a few records!

Keep the tracking weight at 1.75, just adjust the bias slider - start at 0 first moving up in increments of .25 - I have by bias set at 1.0

Perhaps you could start afresh and re balance the arm again, set your tracking weight to 1.75g than your bias in small increments.

Hold old is your Elys in hours?

hope this helps!

Hi Steve!

My Elys 2 was bought about a year ago, but I only started listening to a lot of vinyl when I bought a TTPSU and upgraded to the Rega Fono pre amp (from the fono mini), this was a month ago, so I guess total usage is a max of say 100 hours. It sounded divine, till a few days ago, I guess I must have fiddled with something.

The thing is I have no clue about these tracking wieights and VTA adjustments. I went to Youtube and found a very short RP3 setup guide by an Australian guy/ audio shop. He said to adjust the counterwieight till it "floats"; and to keep the VTA at 1.7 and the other knob (the one with the big white dot) at 0 (?). I tried these but I still can't get it right!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok!

The Elys 2 plays at 1.75g tracking force!

The tracking force should be set to 1.75g NOT 0

So just set everything back to 0 - so the tracking force and bias to 0

Balance your arm so its floating

Then set tracking force to 1.75g

Then, initally set Bias to 0 and increase in small increments - Rega say should be same weight as cart playing weight but I have mine lower.

Hope this helps!

PS Im thinking about the TT PSU - Is it a good upgrade? Did you notice an good step up in performance?

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Ok!

The Elys 2 plays at 1.75g tracking force!

The tracking force should be set to 1.75g NOT 0

So just set everything back to 0 - so the tracking force and bias to 0

Balance your arm so its floating

Then set tracking force to 1.75g

Then, initally set Bias to 0 and increase in small increments - Rega say should be same weight as cart playing weight but I have mine lower.

Hope this helps!

PS Im thinking about the TT PSU - Is it a good upgrade? Did you notice an good step up in performance?
For me the big improvement came after I replaced the Fono mini with the Fono MM, but I guess the TT played a part too. Now it's very dynamic, and a lot better than CD (before the TTPSU and with Fono mini, it was still better than CD but the difference was slight and I just didnt want to bother).

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh btw, I got our local vinyl expert to come over and adjust my TT, it's perfect now! He had a little gadget to measure the exact counterweight needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts