DISTORTION PROBLEM

ED FIELDING

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi - Ive got a Rega Plannar 3 with a Linn k9 and having a few issues with playing my vinyl both new and old

The problem is distortion at peek - What I mean by this is when im playing a record either through headphones or speakers on quite parts or vocal parts it seems to be fine no problem however when the music get going or should I say busy It sounds lost and distorted for some reason .

Ive tried adjusting weight etc (now set at just over manafactures ideal setting and adjusted anti skip etc both at different setting but seem to make no difference - Could this be a stylus issue ? Ive had a look and It seem to be ok but its the only think I can think of .

Any help pointers most welcome

Ed

Rega 3

Aiwa xa-006 amp

tannoy floorstanders

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
ED FIELDING said:
Hi - Ive got a Rega Plannar 3 with a Linn k9 and having a few issues with playing my vinyl both new and old

The problem is distortion at peek - What I mean by this is when im playing a record either through headphones or speakers on quite parts or vocal parts it seems to be fine no problem however when the music get going or should I say busy It sounds lost and distorted for some reason .

Ive tried adjusting weight etc (now set at just over manafactures ideal setting and adjusted anti skip etc both at different setting but seem to make no difference - Could this be a stylus issue ? Ive had a look and It seem to be ok but its the only think I can think of .

Any help pointers most welcome

Ed

Rega 3

Aiwa xa-006 amp

tannoy floorstanders

I'd have a read through a good guide - something like http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/WebsiteTurntableSupportPDF.pdf which although written for Pro-Ject decks, takes you through tonearm setup, cartridge allignment, VTA etc etc, all essential when setting up a deck.
Also, worth checking your tip is clean.... ! I use an ultrasonic carbon brush when cleaning styli tip, which works wonders and can bring the grubbiest caked diamond back to life. See below before and after shots.

cleaned.JPG

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As has been mentioned, your cartridge is getting on a little.

Depending on usage, storage and environmental factors the rubber suspension could have perished, making tracking all but impossible on high peak material or it could be the stylus. Without a microscope it's difficult to ascertain.

drummerman said:
As has been mentioned, your cartridge is getting on a little.

Depending on usage, storage and environmental factors the rubber suspension could have perished, making tracking all but impossible on high peak material or it could be the stylus. Without a microscope it's difficult to ascertain.

I would agree that even if the stylus looks to be in good shape there is no way to determine internal damage. I would suggest that the O P begs or borrows an alternative cartridge and tries this in his system. As previously stated on this forum the Linn K9 was a rebadged Audio Technica AT-95 so maybe buying one of these might solve problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts