Bi-wire cable used as a singel-wire on a none bi-wire terminal speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello guys

Iam about to upgrade my speakers , on my current speakers -kef , they are wired with a terminated bi-wire cable , and then i have notes that the new speakers that iam buying which,s Focal chorus . dosn,t use a bi-wire termenal only single , so my quastion is would it be ok to use the bi-wire cable as a single-wire ? i mean if i just connect 2 of the 4 conductor on the speakers end and then leave the other 2 free in the air? i know i can get a sound thise way, but i mean would it degrade the quality of the sound or have any bad effect on the signal ? or should i just cut and split the wire? i just feel it,s pity to start cuting and removing the termination...thanks

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
So you have four banana plugs at the speaker end? You could, assuming the Focal binding posts allow it, shotgun the two negative legs into the single negative terminal and do the same on the positive side.

You could also do as you say and leave two free but you would have to make sure there is no liklihood of them ever coming into contact with each other (you could tape them up if you wanted to stop this though).

A

Anonymous

Hi bodfish

yes there,s 4 banana plugs on the cable at the speaker end , as for the focal iam not sure what type of terminal they have but i know it,s a single wire type , but if just leave 2 of the banana plug free in the air taped , then it would be just like using a single wire no degrading or any other bad side effect...thanks!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Marco - yes, you are right.

By the terminal type, I mean that sometimes they are 'multiway' terminals. You can insert one banana plug in the end of the terminal but you may also be able to unscrew the terminal and find a hole at 45 degrees which is normally for bare wire connections - but it will also be big enough for another banana plug!

Either way, you don't need to change your current cable if you don't want too :)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have a pair of focal profile 908 speakers and the hole in the terminal when unscrewd wasn't bid enough for a banana plug so i had to by a banana plug that would - pushed both into that then the new plug into the back of the speakers

worked without any problems

A

Anonymous

ok i think now i got the picture bodfish :)

so you mean i can just stick one banana plug in the back of the terminal where they normaly go , and then unscrew loose to make the hole big enough where u would normaly put the bare wire and then put the second there and then tight the screw back in , 2 nigative and 2 positive , isn,t that right.... :)

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts