Bi wire cable for my JPW AP2's

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have an old Rotel 950 amp with JPW-AP2 speakers (don't laugh, they actually sound good even though they are old) I have some old bi wire cable that needs replacing (not long enough) and was wondering if you could point me to a decent cable that has all 4 wires contained within one shield for convenience. I don't want anything that is expensive, but will do the job well enough to get the best sound from them.

Thanks

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
:)You are welcome.

Having read my original response, it looks like I said that QED produce a cable called FT-4 , (the same as Audioquest. Of course they don't, but they do produce alternatives (to suit varying budgets). I am sure you got that though!

Reactions: marb67
Because they are Bi-wire speakers.
designed so but you will not hear any difference if you use a single cable pair as long as you still have the links that they came with originally.
Bi -amping is, however, a different matter.
save money, use the links, and buy a really good single pair cable
Believe you me I have had biwire and triple wire speakers but using such cables will provide no benefits.
that said having looked at images they probably did not come with connecting wires which is unusual but a wire link between the positive and negative terminals could easily be achieved.

Last edited:

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Ok but it seems strange to market bi wired speakers if they have no use. Which single cable would you recommend, bearing in mind I haven't got a mega expensive system to tell the difference ? I will be needing about 12.6 metres.

Ok but it seems strange to market bi wired speakers if they have no use. Which single cable would you recommend, bearing in mind I haven't got a mega expensive system to tell the difference ? I will be needing about 12.6 metres.
it is the way of some speaker manufacturers and is there should you want to bi or even tri amplify your speakers. As I said biwiring, in my opinion, makes so little difference it is uneconomic.
12.6 metres is a fair amount, how is your system arranged that you need that much?
With that sort of length it makes economic sense to single wire and make a set of jumpers.
Perhaps this, I use it in my home cinema set-up, although 13metres will cost £91
the QED Classic 79 strand cable is good and a fair bit cheaper.

Last edited:

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the cost, I could split my existing wires in half, thus doubling the length (single instead of bi-wire) , and then join them together. The reason so long is because the system is tucked away in an alcove round the corner while the speakers are on the book shelves each side of the fireplace. No other way to do this due to space limitations.

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I used to own a pair of AP2s and biwired using QED 75 cable. I did not like the sound of biwiring and found it robbed the midrange of clarity. I went back to single wiring and had to re-solder the cut white and yellow wires. The amp used to power them were Technics SUV 450 and latterly original Cyrus One

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
The mk1 AP2 speakers along with the AP3 had the electrical gubbins inside the boxes to make them active hence the name AP which stands for Active/Passive. The mk1s had the full size speaker grille whereas the later models had the grille stopping an inch or two short with the JPW badge secured to the wooden baffle. The mk2 did not have the electrical gubbins for active use but with biwiring only but you had to cut the wires linking the treble and bass units. A pain if you wanted to return to single wiring as they had to be resoldered

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts